Coronavirus and Greece

wwalsh

Visit site
New : Greece borders closed to non-EU citizens from 06:00hrs 18/03.

except for an absolutely necessary condition related exclusively to emergency work or family

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The lastest from Greece ...
Ctizens of non-EU countries are not permitted to enter our country from Wednesday morning at 6 am except for a strictly necessary condition related exclusively to emergency work or family, Undersecretary for Civil Protection and Crisis Management, Nikos Chardalias, has announced.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
I have just read the following on the Greece Reporter website :

Greece Shuts Borders, Suspends Ferry Travel to Italy to Contain Coronavirus | GreekReporter.com

I am particularly concerned regarding the mention of prohibition of Sailboats in Greek ports and can find no further information regarding this.
Is there any formites perhaps in Greece or in the know that can offer any information regarding the current situation.
Obviously things can change but I am just wondering what the general feeling is as this has the potential to impact upon many users of this form

“Citizens of non-EU countries will not be allowed to enter our country from 6:00 a.m tomorrow, except for an absolutely necessary condition related exclusively to emergency work or family,” head of Civil Protection and Deputy Minister for Crisis Management Nikos Hardalias said on Tuesday.

Those who can still travel to Greece include Greek and EU citizens, but a 14-day quarantine is highly recommended especially for those coming from the UK.
Hardalias especially advised the “house isolation” for those coming from the UK. “We consider them as if they have already come in contact with the virus,” he said in a press conference broadcast live on state ERT TV.

The Deputy Minister also announced that private sailing boats are not allowed to enter Greece from abroad.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I note they draw the line at citizens of EU. Ok for this year but not for 2021. The ban may also apply to residants of an EU country technically including UK citizens with only Greek residence. A classic exzmple of one law in opposition to another current law.

I recall one other example when I was in the RAF. One law stated that any citizen can stand to be a member of Parliament. Another law stated that military personnel could not be political and therefore cannot stand for Parliament. Caused chaos for a few month and a lot of early releases from service.

wwalsh

Visit site
Administrative fines will be imposed on travelers who return to Greece and violate the mandatory 14-day quarantine imposed on them due to the spread of coronavirus . Specifically, travelers will be required to complete a printed special form during their flight and indicate their location within 14 days. The Competent Authorities will carry out random checks and, where they find that the individuals have violated the quarantine and are not in the area concerned, administrative fines will be imposed .

Quarantine for people coming from abroad is, according to the scientific team, a key weapon for the non-proliferation of coronavirus and the authorities are determined to implement it. Also, all travelers will exit a specific airport gate - depending on the country from which they return - and will be provided with printed material with tips and instructions to apply during the 14 days of quarantine.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I had some unexpected emails today.

1) Easyjet cancelling my flights from Gatwick to Preveza and offering either transfer to a later flight at no extra cost or cancel the booking
I cancelled the booking, including the flight to Gatwick a day earlier for a full refund.

2) Premier inn offered to cancel or delay my booking at Gatwick
I cancelled this as well for another full refund. No idea why they emailed so soon after Easyjet as Premier Inn would have I was flying with them.

3) Later email from Easyjet to let me know they had released their winter 2020 schedule early for flights up to February 2021.
Didn't look as I'm not even vaguely interested in looking into flights yet. I doubt many people will be confident enough yet to book a flight this winter.

No big surprise as I am settling in for a long boring stay at home this summer.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
just noticed I have been removed from a FB forum that I have been posting on a Lefkas area

Some guy wanted to come from UK to Athens airport , get down to see his 90 year old mother in Athens town ,then travel across country to Lefkas, to check out his boat.

I basically said ,
You leave a country that has a virus ,get on a plane , mix with others in the airport, get on a bus with 50 others ,visit a 90 year old lady and then get another bus to bring any possible virus with you, to contaminate a closed marina .?

What part of "self confinement don't you understand " ?

I was kicked off the group... for being "rude" .....I post this because if this group does get the virus , they may now understand a possible way it entered their community.

Last edited:

wwalsh

Visit site
New : All hotels are closed until end april except for one in each region and 3 in athens and thessaloniki.

New : temporary restriction is imposed on all arrivals private recreational vessels (vessels) in Greek ports, coming from any geographical destination, and by any means of disembarking passengers on board these vessels for the purpose of preventing public health from further spread of coronavirus in the Greek territory. For the period from 19.3.2020 at 07:00 to 19.4.2020 at 07:00.

New : No flights to or from Greece from Sunday 22/03.

Star-Lord

Visit site
Is it true Greece may be spared? Will Greece be a safe haven for the summer and beyond? Or are there no safe havens?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have just read the following on the Greece Reporter website :

Greece Shuts Borders, Suspends Ferry Travel to Italy to Contain Coronavirus | GreekReporter.com
  • The suspension of road, sea and air links with Albania and North Macedonia, with the exception of trade and persons of Greek nationality or those resident in Greece.
  • The suspension of ferry services to and from Italy. The transport of goods continues.
  • The prohibition of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports.
  • Air links to Spain are suspended.
  • Fines of up to 5,000 euros will be imposed on those who violate the measures announced.
I am particularly concerned regarding the mention of prohibition of Sailboats in Greek ports and can find no further information regarding this.
Is there any formites perhaps in Greece or in the know that can offer any information regarding the current situation.
Obviously things can change but I am just wondering what the general feeling is as this has the potential to impact upon many users of this form

GREECE
A summary from a Yacht base di Gouvia, Corfu. He had sailed from Montenegro and had a heel of a job not being labeled an illegal immigrant !
This is his interpretation of what you can do.
Update you on what the current rules are:

1) We can leave and return to this marina as we have a berth.

2) We would not be allowed to enter any other port.

3) Anchoring off another island or port is fine but landing by dinghy or yacht is not.

4) We can take the dinghy out to visit the beach on the island as long as we return here and not land elsewhere.

They warned that the rules can change again tomorrow but this is how they stand currently.

Glad I have not gone there early!

wwalsh

Visit site
New : Ferries to islands only for island residents or cargo from 21/03.
New : The government clarified that airbnbs not included in the hotel ban.

Last edited:

Lazy Traveller

Visit site
just noticed I have been removed from a FB forum that I have been posting on a Lefkas area

Some guy wanted to come from UK to Athens airport , get down to see his 90 year old mother in Athens town ,then travel across country to Lefkas, to check out his boat.

I basically said ,
You leave a country that has a virus ,get on a plane , mix with others in the airport, get on a bus with 50 others ,visit a 90 year old lady and then get another bus to bring any possible virus with you, to contaminate a closed marina .?

What part of "self confinement don't you understand " ?

I was kicked off the group... for being "rude" .....I post this because if this group does get the virus , they may now understand a possible way it entered their community.

Typical behaviour of ignorant people that think they are invisible... until they are not.

This is not a joke. Stay home and help national health systems cope with the nighmare.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
This has been posted else where but as we know what one pp say may not be what other on another part of Greece . Maybe Chris you could look into it for the CA and others here ....

We are in Limni, Evia - Greece and went to the Port Police today as our DEKPA is due for renewal next week. We were told that because of the Covid 19 virus, no need to worry until June as no paperwork being processed at the moment. I asked if we would be required to pay another €50 for a new DEKPA but was told NO...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Re my last posting ...

Come to think of it , getting info from the Greek at the best of time is hard , so me suggest Chris to look into this new info at this time when there so much more going on may not be such a good idea .....

Lazy Traveller

Visit site
As of 06:00 today, all private yachts are prohibited from sailing - departing from all Greek ports. Currently cruising private vessels should return to port by midnight. Fines apply.

Moreover, port authorities are closed for the public, i.e. no DEKPA processing.

The Greek administration has been excessively proactive on covid-19 anti-spread measures. Lets's see how this works out.