Coronavirus and Greece

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have just read the following on the Greece Reporter website :

Greece Shuts Borders, Suspends Ferry Travel to Italy to Contain Coronavirus | GreekReporter.com
  • The suspension of road, sea and air links with Albania and North Macedonia, with the exception of trade and persons of Greek nationality or those resident in Greece.
  • The suspension of ferry services to and from Italy. The transport of goods continues.
  • The prohibition of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports.
  • Air links to Spain are suspended.
  • Fines of up to 5,000 euros will be imposed on those who violate the measures announced.
I am particularly concerned regarding the mention of prohibition of Sailboats in Greek ports and can find no further information regarding this.
Is there any formites perhaps in Greece or in the know that can offer any information regarding the current situation.
Obviously things can change but I am just wondering what the general feeling is as this has the potential to impact upon many users of this form
I think this was expected . What's not clear if it mean
new boats entering Greece ,
Boats entering ports Excluding Anchorages .
Or all boats .
I guess it's going to mean all movement of boats , like many other countries

Besonders

Med for the summer, Caribbean for the winter
Visit site
I think this was expected . What's not clear if it mean
new boats entering Greece ,
Boats entering ports Excluding Anchorages .
Or all boats .
I guess it's going to mean all movement of boats , like many other countries

Vic,
You are correct, it is definitely unclear... I have done more reading of snippets from various sources and to me it would seem to be prohibition on sailboats from Italy entering Greek ports , however this is just my own interpretaion and may be far from the actual position

wwalsh

Visit site
The prohibition of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports.

It doesnt say sailboats

Η απαγόρευση της πρόσδεσης κρουαζιερόπλοιων και ημερόπλοιων στα ελληνικά λιμάνια

The prohibition of mooring (arrival) cruise ships and day cruise ships at the greek ports

Star-Lord

Visit site
I have just read the following on the Greece Reporter website :

Greece Shuts Borders, Suspends Ferry Travel to Italy to Contain Coronavirus | GreekReporter.com
  • The suspension of road, sea and air links with Albania and North Macedonia, with the exception of trade and persons of Greek nationality or those resident in Greece.
  • The suspension of ferry services to and from Italy. The transport of goods continues.
  • The prohibition of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports.
  • Air links to Spain are suspended.
  • Fines of up to 5,000 euros will be imposed on those who violate the measures announced.
I am particularly concerned regarding the mention of prohibition of Sailboats in Greek ports and can find no further information regarding this.
Is there any formites perhaps in Greece or in the know that can offer any information regarding the current situation.
Obviously things can change but I am just wondering what the general feeling is as this has the potential to impact upon many users of this form
They will be open in the summer. I believe this is just a Easter lockdown. The whole Med will be open in the summer imo. People will be keeping their distance i reckon.

sailaboutvic

Visit site

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It doesnt say sailboats

Η απαγόρευση της πρόσδεσης κρουαζιερόπλοιων και ημερόπλοιων στα ελληνικά λιμάνια

The prohibition of mooring (arrival) cruise ships and day cruise ships at the greek ports
This may help ...

The Government has also banned all large events and conferences for 4 weeks until 5 April, and prohibited the landing of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports. If you are due to attend an event, you should check with the event organiser before travelling.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Vic, W Walsh is a Marine Surveyor working out of Athens and traveling to most boat yards in the Aegean he speak fluent Greek
This may help ...

The Government has also banned all large events and conferences for 4 weeks until 5 April, and prohibited the landing of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports. If you are due to attend an event, you should check with the event organiser before travelling.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Here the full text ...
The Greek authorities have introduced a number of precautionary measures in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the authorities.

As part of its Coronavirus response, the Greek Government has ordered the closure of all cafes, bars and restaurants, as well as shopping centres and malls, theatres and cinemas, children’s playgrounds, beauty salons, libraries, sports centres, museums and archaeological sites as well as beach clubs, ski centres and seasonal accommodation. Take away food services will continue to operate and supermarkets, bakeries and pharmacies remain open. All schools, nurseries and universities are currently closed for two weeks until 25 March. The Government has also banned all large events and conferences for 4 weeks until 5 April, and prohibited the landing of cruise ships and sailboats in Greek ports. If you are due to attend an event, you should check with the event organiser before travelling.

Changes to what is open/permitted have been coming frequently, and without warning. Please keep up to date with news and advice from your travel contacts/business partners as well as the sources on this page, for the latest information.

wwalsh

Visit site
New : Travellers arriving in greece have mandatory 14 day quarantine.
New : All shops except for supermarket, pharmacy and petrol station will be closed from wednesday 18/03.

Pasarell

Visit site
Friend of mine went into the Port Police in Lefkas today and they told him no boats will be allowed to enter or leave the marina before the end of April. The marina are starting a daily briefing by VHF Ch69 at 0930 tomorrow so will confirm I presume

chris-s

Visit site
Son got back from Poros yesterday for a course next week. He was worried the ferry to Athens would have been suspended but fortunately not. He is hoping to be able to go back out on n a few weeks but I’m not so sure that will be possible or sensible.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
No too surprised to get this email from Ionian Marine near Preveza:

As Greece is heading to a lockdown from tomorrow in an attempt to slow down the pandemic of the new COVID-19, you have to be aware that everyone who comes to Greece from now on will be put into quarantine for 14 days.

So, taking into account the measures that have been putten into force and the rapid spread of the new virus, we inform you that on Ionion Marine the chandlery and the office will not be open for the public. However, we will be able to reply to emails and answer on the telephone. Needless to say that the minivan will not be operating.
The yard will be guarded 24/7 with entry control.

The above will be applied until further notice.

The most important thing now is to minimize the outbreak which will grow with an exponential rate if we don’t take action. By doing so, we give the healthcare system the time it needs to treat the critical cases and do its job by saving lives.

We wish to each and every one of you the best.

We weren't expecting to be able to return in mid-April and had accepted zero chance of sailing this year. Sounds as if Greece will be announcing new measures very soon.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
No too surprised to get this email from Ionian Marine near Preveza:

As Greece is heading to a lockdown from tomorrow in an attempt to slow down the pandemic of the new COVID-19, you have to be aware that everyone who comes to Greece from now on will be put into quarantine for 14 days.

So, taking into account the measures that have been putten into force and the rapid spread of the new virus, we inform you that on Ionion Marine the chandlery and the office will not be open for the public. However, we will be able to reply to emails and answer on the telephone. Needless to say that the minivan will not be operating.
The yard will be guarded 24/7 with entry control.

The above will be applied until further notice.

The most important thing now is to minimize the outbreak which will grow with an exponential rate if we don’t take action. By doing so, we give the healthcare system the time it needs to treat the critical cases and do its job by saving lives.

We wish to each and every one of you the best.

We weren't expecting to be able to return in mid-April and had accepted zero chance of sailing this year. Sounds as if Greece will be announcing new measures very soon.
Mike we have and the reports from friends still there are it now also in lock down although no as much as some other country . Lefkes has basically said if you leave the marina you may not get back in .

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Mike they have and the reports from friends still there are it now also in lock down although no as much as some other country . Lefkes has basically said if you leave the marina you may not get back in .
I think that will be the situation throughout Europe before too long if it is not already. Same thing happening in caravan sites in Spain, they are not allowing new admissions so if you leave you are unlikely to get in anywhere else