Cornish Crabbers going bump?

Greg2

Visit site
That would be a great shame and obviously awful for them and their staff - always had a soft spot for their range of boats.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Going the same way as other builders niche boats and markets being far to expensive to build and sell for those wishing to sail that type of boat.

Frubpato!

Visit site
Thanks SRM - glad your post made you feel better 😞. The reason I didn’t post anymore is that it isn’t public knowledge yet but anyone wanting to order parts or boats would at least be warned to carry out due diligence. I’m sure that once the CVL is made public then you will get as much info as you could wish for .
However thanks for your pointless exercise comment - it will help make me a better person 👍

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Very sadly, Marine Business are reporting that a creditors’ meeting is to be held this Wednesday 13th.
A real tragedy for Peter Thomas and his team in Wadebridge. And for lovers of the yard’s jaunty and characterful ‘modern gaffer’ centre boarders (or the ‘old school’ overhangs of the Mystery 35). Designs which dare to be different. Hopefully something can be salvaged…

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
The reason I didn’t post anymore is that it isn’t public knowledge yet but anyone wanting to order parts or boats would at least be warned to carry out due diligence. I’m sure that once the CVL is made public then you will get as much info as you could wish for .
Why the anger?
Your initial post would have been a lot more useful if you had said so. It was so cryptic that you could have been referring to a Cornish Crabber that went bump against a pier or rocks.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Very sadly, Marine Business are reporting that a creditors’ meeting is to be held this Wednesday 13th.
A real tragedy for Peter Thomas and his team in Wadebridge. And for lovers of the yard’s jaunty and characterful ‘modern gaffer’ centre boarders (or the ‘old school’ overhangs of the Mystery 35). Designs which dare to be different. Hopefully something can be salvaged…

My apologies John Silver. I see you had already posted a link.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Sad news, in any case. Fingers crossed that a solution is found to keep the business going, with the workforce retaining their jobs.

HughClayton

Visit site
It is sad news for all involved that Cornish Crabbers is being liquidated. There is a little more information on the Cornish Crabbers Club forum.

Cornish Crabbers Club

They have made good boats, including two of mine, over the years. In the fullness of time it will be interesting to see what may emerge - the designs are good and the fleets of Shrimpers and Crabbers are active.

Minerva

Visit site
It's a sad day that a boat builder goes to the wall but I've just had a look at their website; their dinghy shrimper series are £50k for the 19fter and £70k for the 21ft. If you go up to their 26footer adventurer weekender its £152k - One hundred and fifty two thousand pounds! For a 26ft weekend sailing boat.

The market for people who are willing to spend the price of a house on a bare bones cruising boat with minimum comfort must be minuscule.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It's a sad day that a boat builder goes to the wall but I've just had a look at their website; their dinghy shrimper series are £50k for the 19fter and £70k for the 21ft. If you go up to their 26footer adventurer weekender its £152k - One hundred and fifty two thousand pounds! For a 26ft weekend sailing boat.

The market for people who are willing to spend the price of a house on a bare bones cruising boat with minimum comfort must be minuscule.
See #3

benjenbav

Visit site
Didn’t the current owner buy the business out of a previous company failure? Maybe the same will happen again.

I’ve looked at their boats and always thought that, whilst quite nice, they’re an awful lot of money for what they are.

Perhaps there aren’t enough folk who both disagree with this point of view and who are prepared to commission one of their products?

Mark-1

Visit site
Didn’t the current owner buy the business out of a previous company failure? Maybe the same will happen again.

I’ve looked at their boats and always thought that, whilst quite nice, they’re an awful lot of money for what they are.

Perhaps there aren’t enough folk who both disagree with this point of view and who are prepared to commission one of their products?

Yes, he bought it in 2008 when things were really bleak.

Many people think we're going through a short term period of high interest rates. That's knocking the industry for six, so it feels to me that business that a business that could survive 2008 should easily be able to survive 2024.

The boats seem insanely expensive to me but they can often take to the ground with a gaff rig for easy maintenance. So the extra spend out to be reclaimed in a few years of ownership if you keep it on a drying mooring and maintain it yourself.

I find the wooden mast a bit odd - can't gaff riggers have aluminum spars? I'm sure my childhood Mirror did.

benjenbav

Visit site

I find the wooden mast a bit odd - can't gaff riggers have aluminum spars? I'm sure my childhood Mirror did.
Very racy! We made do with the standard wooden one. But the fastest Mirror in the club had a aluminium mast. They were quite a bit better than the rest of the Mirror fleet, so probably would have won anyway. But it was a handy excuse.