Corfu in a southerly

daveg45

Visit site
I will be on Corfu to drop crew on Friday and I notice southerly winds forecast. Does anyone know of a suitable anchorage in these conditions.. Regards all and fair winds.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
There is (or was, it's 3 or 4 years since we were there with the same problem) a half-built and free marina about 5M south of Corfu Town that was good in a southerly; I think it was called Benitses? A few miles further south you can anchor in the bay south of Petriti. If it's threatening to be a BIG southerly, then load up with food and beer and sail over to Igoumenitsa Creek, we sat out a full gale in the last bay before the lagoon on the south shore and hardly felt a thing - anchored 100m from the shore, the winds went straight over the top of us.

daveg45

Visit site
Thanks for the advice I will check out the options mentioned. Does anyone know if Corfu harbour is ok in southerly?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Thanks for the advice I will check out the options mentioned. Does anyone know if Corfu harbour is ok in southerly?
Corfu Harbour is well protected in a southerly, but there is generally no space. A local guy who runs 3 charter boats hogs the quai by the eastern entrance. You can tie up to his badly tied up boats and when he goes out take the space on the wall. He will go ape**** and threaten to call the police - so you get them on the phone (well pretend to make the call!) and he kind of walks away muttering. If he had been at all nice about how he asked I would probably have moved. As it was 3 other boats all came in along side leaving no space for him.

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
If it's too exposed in the bay south of the NAOK yacht club then try anchoring just west of the commercial port. Failing that you could always pay for a night in Gouvia. Or if you really want to wind them up go in and anchor!! If you're just dropping off and not waiting for arrivals you won't have to stay long!

prescott56

Visit site
Hi
Go into Mandraki, the marina under the castle, just around from NAOK.
was about 22euros, lazy lines, nice people..
If we were further south we used to anchor of Petriti, very good holding.
or go over to Platerias on mainland.
Regards
Roy