Cooker: Neptune 4500 or Techimpex Mastergrill?

AndrewB

Visit site
I have to replace my ancient cooker - too leaky and badly rusted. The straight replacement is a Neptune 4500, but my chandler is offering me a good deal on a Techimpex Mastergrill which makes the price difference not that much. Any experience or opinions, specially on the Techimpex, would be much appreciated!

michael_w

Visit site
FWIW Spares for the Neptune are readily available and it is easy to work on. It also has piezo ignition and a thermostatically controlled oven. Only real drawback is the oven box is made of enameled steel.

Rich T

Visit site
Build quality on my Techimpex was let down by ferrous fastenings, both rivets and self tapping screws. Also the pan holder rail is not stainless but simply chromed mild steel. Pointless penny pinching. I had to replace all the fittings after the first season. Has performed satisfactorily and perhaps they have got their act together better now. But they would not be my first choice if I was in the market for a new item.

wully1

Visit site
I had 15 years out of a Techimpex and at the point I sold the boat I was on the second pan holder rail which was on its way out..
Apart from that it was faultless and was much used.
’New’ boatie came with the same model cooker which was of similar vintage but in much better condition - possibly due to lighter duty use and a MUCH drier boat.
However after a gas safe test there is a slight leak from the cooker and I’m not going to try and find/fix/worry about it so I’m replacing with another Techimpex but without the next to useless grill. It’s a drop in replacement so no faff packing out gimbals.

I was tempted to go for whatever the Plastimo version is now called ( I fitted one to my last boat) but dislike the battery ignition- much prefer lighting the burner with a flame as you can be much more certain of igniting any gas coming out the burner and I didn’t find the battery life of the sparker very good.

I doubt there is any real difference in quality at this end of the cooker market.

pvb

Visit site
I have a Techimpex in my Bavaria; it's OK, but not brilliant. We use the microwave quite a lot. Of the two models you mention, the Neptune might be the better choice. I know "marine" stuff always costs more, but if you look at a £500 boat cooker versus a £200 domestic cooker, there's no comparison.

AndrewB

Visit site
Thanks everyone, it will be the Neptune 4500 then. Looking back to the thread in 2015, I see an earlier model Techimpex wasn't much liked either.