Continual Quiz about the Bristol Channel(3)

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
You leave from the king, pass a clergyman and a predatory animal, then before you reach a lighthouse and a passage, arrive at a saint where the Atlantic can be seen.

What were the start and finish points of your passage?

graham

Visit site
Portishead to St Donats? Via King road Monkstone and Wolves rock? Atlantic being Atlantic colleges Lifeboat?

graham

Visit site
Took me a while to think of Monkstone,kept thinking of Priests Vicars Rabbis etc /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next Question is ..In fog you hear a very loud long horn blast followed by a not so loud long and four shorts . What could be going on?

PS have you looked inside Stackpole Quay? Would it be suitable for drying out on legs or against the wall inside in quiet weather?

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

PS have you looked inside Stackpole Quay? Would it be suitable for drying out on legs or against the wall inside in quiet weather?

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham, I'm pretty certain this is Stackpole Quay, but you might have to get permission from the Stackpole Estate to berth there?

PICT0236.jpg

graham

Visit site
Pretty small as harbours go but room for a tiddler like our boat in settled weather I think. Will put it on my Wish list of places to visit.

We had left Dale to get past the range before firing started .Anchored outside for a massive breakfast and waiting for a favourable tide.I should have rowed ashore for a look around.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
First long blast is powered vessel making way

Second long is presumably another powered vessel further off, and the 4 shorts indicate it is a pilot boat. (That was probably you last week!)

Not much room inside Stackpole Quay, but very pretty. Barafundle Bay along a bit is a lovely anchorage, with a tad more protection from the west than off the Quay.

graham

Visit site
That will do. The quieter toot was a clue to it being a small boat. either way I would be putting my lifejacket on if not sure how far away they were /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Re Stackpole ,is there a village there or even a shop/pub in walking distance? One thing with a small boat you can get into small places /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It must be interesting in an Easterly though.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Stackpole is miles from anywhere, at the end of a long lane. There is a cafe, but no shop, and the nearest pub is probably the St.Govans Inn in Bosherston (a very pleasant walk along the coast path, then up past the Lily Ponds, but a couple of miles). The nearest shop is several miles away near Pembroke, although you can get odds and ends from Mrs Weston's Ye Olde Worlde Cafe and shop in Bosherston. If you want to be a bit nearer than Stackpole then Broadhaven, just to the west, is OK in calm conditions (flat sand for a b/k to dry out on).

Going the other way there is Lydstep Haven, with shops etc in Lydstep itself, but the anchorage is horribly noisy in summer.

Next stop to the west is Milford Haven - Dale and Angle being the first places with supplies.

As you can tell I have spent lots of time in the area - some of the best rock climbing in the world!

Next question to follow......

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Close to a famous light house (FlW6(15)) is a shipwreck. As far as I know, it is the only wreck which appears in a climbing guide with a climb up it!

What is the name of the wrecked ship?

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
It is a fantastic area, with some of the most spectacular coast in Britain. You can sail very close inshore in good conditions, almost touching the cliffs in places. There is a lot of weedy rocky bottom inshore, but many sandy patches within that, so in calm conditions there are some great lunch stops!

The firing range exclusion is only off the Western Range ie from Bosherston to Freshwater, and then only when they are firing (which is never at weekends anyway)

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Close to a famous light house (FlW6(15)) is a shipwreck. As far as I know, it is the only wreck which appears in a climbing guide with a climb up it!

What is the name of the wrecked ship?

[/ QUOTE ]

Johanna at Hartland Point?

graham

Visit site
Had me beat.Im more interested in gentle paths to a pub than precarious rock climbs /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

This
climbing.jpg

Or this.
200603-partingglass2.jpg

I get a bit nervous if the barstools are too high /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
This should suit you better then Graham /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This is a picture of my boat at high water on her summer mooring. As you can see, she needs a little work between tides before the 2008 season, so I'll be camping on the beach. It's a lovely spot, sunny all day and well sheltered from those northerlies! Now, at the end of the day there are two pubs I could go to. The one to the RIGHT is within easy walking distance, but can get a bit busy and noisy in the summer. If however we have an evening HW the one to the LEFT is a possibility with dinghy and outboard. Up on the flood, back on the ebb. I could walk there along the foreshore and through the fields, but it's a long way, and only at LW using that route as I would need to cross the river by stepping stones.

What is the name of the pub to the LEFT?

PICT1475.jpg

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Long Rock Slab, Baggy Point! (I know it wasn't a whereisit!) - the scene of one of my best multi-sport days:

Sail out of Appledore, 25degC, SE F4; anchor at Croyde and go surfing; anchor in the cove below the crag, kayak ashore and do one of the routes; I go solo climbing and canoeing while the skipper scubas for crab; sail back and watch the World Cup Final in a pub on the quayside in Appledore /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

graham

Visit site
It is Baggy .Pictures not mine I "borrowed" it off an internet site. Now name the pub /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif