Contessa or MG-C 27

skipperob

Visit site
Hi everyone. in 2011 KevO from Falmouth said
"There is loads to read about Contessa 26s and 32s on the web... very little about the 28"
I sympathise, but there's nothing at all on the web about the fast and comfortable Contessa 27, except for glowing praises in magazine test reports.
I've just bought a 1985 Northshore lifting-fin version with the self-tacking headsail, ideal for my intended use on the Norfolk Broads.
Is there anyone out there who would like to exchange ideas and info, or even help to start an owners' association ?
More than 150 of these boats (Contessa and then MG-C 27, which are the same except for the name changes after Contessa Yachts ceased to exist) were built.
Apparently they are fast and a delight to sail ; I've yet to find out, joys to come !
Other owners of these boats please say hallo !
Rob

pvb

Visit site
I have a magazine ( YBW I think ) copy somewhere comparing the Contessa 28 with the Dufour 2800, let me know if you'd like scans PM'd.

The OP has bought a Contessa 27 (a Humphreys design), not a Contessa 28, which is a Peterson design and rather a different boat.

Last edited:

E39mad

Visit site
Good choice - the MG C(ontessa) 27 is a cracking sailboat. They all came with the self taking jib. Lift keel is fairly rare as most were fin and there were one or two bilge towards the end of their production.

I used to work for Northshore and have all the info somewhere (brochure and test sail). Not sure if there are any owner groups out there.

chewi

Visit site
I know indirectly of two of these in Poole that sank on their moorings in storms. The diagnosis was that each hull had lifted in waves, and in crashing down the hydraulic pressure in the keelbox blew out the access panel on the side, allowing accelerating water ingress.
The access panel had been fixed by selftappers to the keelbox.

[178529]

Visit site
That's strange. The access panel for the keel is right at the top of the keelbox, at table top height, and way above the water level. I've had the keelbolts replaced just for piece of mind as they were original. The whole mechanism looks well engineered and simple.

The only problem i've had has been the fresh water tanks under the settee berth had cracked slightly and let water out. Ive replaced the tanks with a single tank and now have more storage. I've only had the boat this year but it sails very well and seems very well built.

[178529]

Visit site
Interesting thread. It would be good to have a proper report on exactly what happened. The only way I could see the keel moving within the pivots would be if keel bolts failed on one side or other that hold the pivot plates that support the keel. Mine had waisted slightly but were the original bolts.

skipperob

Visit site
I know the difference - the OP was about Contessa 28.
Hi Seajet. No, the OP was not about the 28, it was about the 27. I know this because I posted it !
Thanks anyway for showing interest, but I'm not looking for anything to do with the Contessa 28.
Friendly, regards, Rob.

Reactions: pvb

skipperob

Visit site
Good choice - the MG C(ontessa) 27 is a cracking sailboat. They all came with the self taking jib. Lift keel is fairly rare as most were fin and there were one or two bilge towards the end of their production.

I used to work for Northshore and have all the info somewhere (brochure and test sail). Not sure if there are any owner groups out there.
Thanks very much for that, E39mad. You're right of course, all boats had the moulding in the deck forard of the mast to take the slider track for the self-tacker, but I've seen pictures of many of them which had never had the track fitted. Those boats all use the 150% genoa. I was indeed lucky to find one for sale with both the self-tacking staysail and track, and the lifting fin.
The anchor well hatch/cover is cracked, and it's not the original glassfibre moulding but is made of plywood. Do you perhaps know where I could either borrow one to take a plug/mould from ; or even better, do you know where I could buy one ? (forlorn hope !)
Thanks for your kind interest, Rob.

skipperob

Visit site
I have a lift keel mgc 27. Fantastic boat.
Hi Moondancer. A fellow owner at last ! Is there a way to establish contact, by email or landline phone ? I don't know if this forum permits direct contact, some don't ? Whereabouts in the world are you ? I'm in southern france at the moment, hoping to be in Norfolk as soon as the Covid restrictions permit.
Best regards, Rob

skipperob

Visit site
I know indirectly of two of these in Poole that sank on their moorings in storms. The diagnosis was that each hull had lifted in waves, and in crashing down the hydraulic pressure in the keelbox blew out the access panel on the side, allowing accelerating water ingress.
The access panel had been fixed by selftappers to the keelbox.
WOW ! Thanks VERY much for the warning ! I'll inspect mine and if they are s/t screws I'll replace them with something better !
Very many thanks, Rob.

skipperob

Visit site
That's strange. The access panel for the keel is right at the top of the keelbox, at table top height, and way above the water level. I've had the keelbolts replaced just for piece of mind as they were original. The whole mechanism looks well engineered and simple.

The only problem I've had has been the fresh water tanks under the settee berth had cracked slightly and let water out. Ive replaced the tanks with a single tank and now have more storage. I've only had the boat this year but it sails very well and seems very well built.
Thanks again Moondancer2. I was wondering about keel bolts, and had guessed that the fin swivel would be part of a keel plate, bolted up to the hull in much the same way (and probably to the same boltholes !) as a fixed fin. You seem to have answered that question. Nice to learn that you found the whole assembly to be well engineered ; which is as I would expect from firms with the high reputations of Rob Humphreys Design, and Northshore yachts. Mine is a Northshore boat, built in 1985 so not long after they took over the Marine Glass business. At least MG were kind enough to acknowledge the boat's origin by adding the "C" after MG ! As for the panel blowing out, in those sea conditions I can imagine how the pressure would force off an inadequately fastened panel, and then the sea would start to pump into the boat with considerable force through the narrow box, eventually bringing her low enough for the opening to be under water. Horrible for the owners.
Incidentally, did you find any corrosion or wasting on the original bolts ?
Thanks again for the contact, Rob.

[178529]

Visit site
Hi Moondancer. A fellow owner at last ! Is there a way to establish contact, by email or landline phone ? I don't know if this forum permits direct contact, some don't ? Whereabouts in the world are you ? I'm in southern france at the moment, hoping to be in Norfolk as soon as the Covid restrictions permit.
Best regards, Rob
let me message you my email address.

skipperob

Visit site
Thanks again Moondancer2. I was wondering about keel bolts, and had guessed that the fin swivel would be part of a keel plate, bolted up to the hull in much the same way (and probably to the same boltholes !) as a fixed fin. You seem to have answered that question. Nice to learn that you found the whole assembly to be well engineered ; which is as I would expect from firms with the high reputations of Rob Humphreys Design, and Northshore yachts. Mine is a Northshore boat, built in 1985 so not long after they took over the Marine Glass business. At least MG were kind enough to acknowledge the boat's origin by adding the "C" after MG ! As for the panel blowing out, in those sea conditions I can imagine how the pressure would force off an inadequately fastened panel, and then the sea would start to pump into the boat with considerable force through the narrow box, eventually bringing her low enough for the opening to be under water. Horrible for the owners.
Incidentally, did you find any corrosion or wasting on the original bolts ?
Thanks again for the contact, Rob.
Sorry Moondancer, I've now read your other reply which says that the bolts had wasted slightly. So while she's out, I'll replace mine. You are a mine of useful information ! Best regards, Rob.

[178529]

Visit site
Sorry Moondancer, I've now read your other reply which says that the bolts had wasted slightly. So while she's out, I'll replace mine. You are a mine of useful information ! Best regards, Rob.
I'll message you some more details of what i've found. All good.