Contessa 32 purchase advice. Newbie here. Yatch world purchase

Dysan

Visit site
I’m in a similar boat to you (pun intended) except I already bought it.

To cut a long story short, wanted a sailing boat a decade ago, jobs, kid, house moves all held things up. Eventually decided to look for something “cheap” found a NewBridge navigator for about £3k and went for look. I met the marina manager but the advert was old and the boat had already changed hands. A couple of boats down was something else he knew was for sale, a Rival 31. I took a look around, it was much more than planned money wise, but it was too late, heart said yes.

I will add at this point, I can’t sail and know two shades of sod all about boats, so enter Mike Chadwick to survey her. Survey says needs bits doing, the main point being that the rigging is just over 10 yrs so wants changing. I get estimates and factor in. I now own the boat.

Everyone will offer their own experience and advice, most with vastly more knowledge than me.

I’ll agree with one major point, you will not make money or break even or probably be anywhere near! However, if from your reading and your feeling for the boat you think you’re going to make a set of sails or two thread bare the money spend doesn’t really matter if you have it.

The key reason I say get stuck in is this. You’ve come here to a forum asking advice, you get in the right marina with the right attitude and there’s all the advice you could wish for, some of it hands on too.

I’ve learn so much from the Chandlery, marine engineer, liveaboards and other owners that I would not had the boat not been there. I’ve also had offers of sailing with others and them taking me out on mine (and taken them). Most of all I know people by name and they know me, it’s nice to be part of a little likeminded community.

ashtead

Visit site
Dysan like the website -as you say you can take on a challenge -it really depends on your time and spare cash. At every level you see people investing in yachts for the pleasure to be had in restoring them . I’m sure no one would buy a large Swan if economics played a part in their decision making unless they were say a property magnate or retired rock star etc.

Dysan

Visit site
Dysan like the website -as you say you can take on a challenge -it really depends on your time and spare cash. At every level you see people investing in yachts for the pleasure to be had in restoring them . I’m sure no one would buy a large Swan if economics played a part in their decision making unless they were say a property magnate or retired rock star etc.
Thanks, Let’s be fair, nobody would buy a boat purely on economics. In terms of spare time and cash, this year given the circumstances it’s been a write off! Day Skipper booked twice and failed, mast off and re-rigg booked twice and failed! Don’t get me wrong I’m enjoying putting my own stamp on her (certainly much more to come!) but I’m looking forward most to sailing the sh1t of her.

Never Grumble

Visit site
Hey All
I'm new to the forum and new to sailing.
spent about three month researching sail boats before i decided to put an offer in on a Contessa 32 (it's a little earlier than i planned as wanted some sailing classes first but covid is driving me mad so i thought let's just do this)

I know nothing about Contessas so cant add to the discussion on how they sail or value. My first two years of ownership has shown even with a reasonably well looked after boat that I spend quite a lot of time working on it, lucky I am quite handy as otherwise would have cost a fortune in labour costs. During Covid its been even worse as discouraged to go down to the yard. So any work that needs doing happens after lockdown is released and then that eats into the sailing time. That might make you even madder.

As a skipper its useful to understand how it all works, if that's what experience you are after then great.

How much sailing have you done? If its negligible then I would get out and do some before buying anything. My first trip across Poole Bay was in an old services establishment boat in the 1970s and it seemed to me that would have been a wet boat, all I can remember is being wet cold and miserable. Fortunately that wasn't my only experience if it had I reckon I'd have taken up something else as a hobby to see me through my more mature years. Our mid 90s plastic caravan whilst lacking charm is dry and warm and has reasonable accommodation; if I'd have bought a wet boat I reckon we'd have sold it already and packed up sailing.

doug748

Visit site
I assume it means that whilst sailing you get a salt-water shower thrown in for free.
I’ve always understood it to mean a very ‘splashy’ ride but that might not be the correct technical term.........
Chris

Thanks, it's often mentioned in such bleak terms , I did start to wonder if it meant leaking decks or something.

obmij

Visit site
Looks like a cracking boat

Not sure why you would want to install a new engine if the existing engine works. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the engine on purchase, you continue to maintain it & spares are available, then there is no reason it wont run for another 50 years.

Just think - 30 years ago people would have been sucking their teeth, tutting and spouting the same advice because it's a 20 year old engine and might conk out at any time!

pvb

Visit site
Assuming there is nothing wrong with the engine on purchase, you continue to maintain it & spares are available, then there is no reason it wont run for another 50 years.

I think you'll find that people need to search sprapyards for spares for 50 year old Sabb engines.

Tranona

Visit site
Looks like a cracking boat

Not sure why you would want to install a new engine if the existing engine works. Assuming there is nothing wrong with the engine on purchase, you continue to maintain it & spares are available, then there is no reason it wont run for another 50 years.

Just think - 30 years ago people would have been sucking their teeth, tutting and spouting the same advice because it's a 20 year old engine and might conk out at any time!
It was an odd choice even when it was new. Large heavy noisy rough and expensive. No doubt he had to lean had on Jeremy rogers to actually fit it. About its only redeeming feature was that it could be fitted with a very nice variable pitch propeller system, but I am not sure it is fitted to this boat as I don't think there is room in the aperture. Totally out of cinc with a svelte cruiser racer but loved by the Norwegian inshore fisherman for whom it was designed. Not that the standard Petter mini twin was any good, but most have been replaced with Betas or Yanmars

Euphonyx

Visit site
Needs a new mast and rigging, but not a new engine. £25k, plus a new engine is an awfully expensive 1973 boat, IMO. The Contessa has a following, but in my opinion, it's a very cramped 32 foot boat.

A five minute search turned this up, as an example, there'll be others:

Westerly Fulmar Used Boat for Sale 1986 | TheYachtMarket

Volvo 30hp diesel engine (new 2015)

In mast furling mainsail (new 2016) and a furling genoa. Cruising chute.
Stainless steel standing rigging renewed 2016.

Mikuni warm air cabin heating system.
Chalk and Cheese! Contessas are always very overpriced. They are, however, a boat you can trust. They are also fast and stable. Downside is that they have a very small cockpit and accomodation is very limited by the narrow beam. A new engine with new propshaft and new folding prop will cosy 14k. Ask me how I know! For cruising I'd go for something else like the Fulmar for comfort alone

Ammonite

Visit site
Contessas are lovely, but for comparison would you buy an MGB as a first car to learn to drive in?
I don't think this type of comparison is valid. Even when new an MGB was unreliable, didn't handle and didn't go or stop particularly well whereas a well maintained / restored Contessa or similar will perform just as well as a modern yacht on balance (better in heavy conditions, worse in light) and be equally reliable albeit with lousy accommodation.

An MGB in comparision will be outperformed by pretty much every modern car on the road, its only redeeming feature being looks and feel good factor

Last edited: