connecting garmin 128 gps to laptop

Pacific28

Visit site
Does anyone have any experience with connecting a garmin 128 gps to a pc for chartplotting (Maptech lite s/ware) ?

Also The GPS needs connected to DSC so is it possible to splice GPS output to laptop and DSC ?

thanks in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jules

Visit site
I use the standard Garmin power/data cable for this. About £25 I think. Didn't fancy small wire splicing in Garmin instructions. Haven't gone down the DSC route yet, but would imagine a call to the helpful people at G would answer this.
I love the Maptech product, BTW.
Regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

WayneS

Visit site
Very simple

A standard PC serial cable can be used. U just need to find pins 2, 3 and 5 and connect them according to the following.
http://www.garmin.com/specs/pcwiring.pdf

However, I have found that cutting back an off-the shelf cable to be a bad idea. The individual conductors are so thin that they will break with minimal movement of the cable. Rather buy a Female DB9 connector for Maplins or such like and solder some decent wire onto pins 2,3 and 5.

Cheers

Wayne

BTW, we connect our 128 to Maptech like this last week and it was a doddle

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cactus

www.iwantaseaview.com
Hello

I had a look for said connector on the maplin site, but only came up with a USB - Serial adaptor. Is there another name for the Female DB9 connector?

(I have a Garmin 152 to connect to a soon to be stolen laptop)

(p.s. stolen from my brother, not a shop!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

WayneS

Visit site
I see that they only sell the Shells and Pins on line. Would work though. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Products/Module.asp?CartID=04021112010784&ModuleNo=1119&MR=N

you will need to get a 9 way socket shell and socket pins.

When I went into a Maplin store they had single piece solder type connectorsfor about 50p.

If you are ordering on line it will cost an arm and a leg for delivery. If you do not have a store close by, let me know and I'll pick one up and post it to you.

Cheers

Wayne

<hr width=100% size=1>