Conflans-Sainte-Honorine museum of Inland Water Transport

Gustywinds

Visit site
Présentation du musée - Musée de la batellerie et des voies navigables

Fascinating little museum in a former chateau overlooking the confluence of the Oise and the Seine charting the development of canals and rivers in France. Good mix of art, old exhibits, models and illustration in a beautiful setting.
A nice way to while away a half day while we waited for the boatyard across river to open tomorrow, then we head down the Seine to Giverny for some more art.

Poignard

Visit site
Now he tells me!

I was not far from there a few days ago and If I had known about it I would have paid a visit.

If you are ever near Chateauneuf sur Loire you might enjoy this small museum I visited recently:

Marine de Loire Museum à CHATEAUNEUF-SUR-LOIRE - Loire Valley

We visited Giverny last Friday and enjoyed it. The weather was perfect and we visited Monet's house and garden. There's a shuttlebus runs between Vernon, where we stayed, and Giverny.

Also worth seeing at Giverny, if you like that sort of thing, is this museum of old machinery:
Giverny | Natural Mechanical Museum

It's privately owned and has limited opening hours.

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
Now he tells me!

I was not far from there a few days ago and If I had known about it I would have paid a visit.

If you are ever near Chateauneuf sur Loire you might enjoy this small museum I visited recently:

Marine de Loire Museum à CHATEAUNEUF-SUR-LOIRE - Loire Valley

We visited Giverny last Friday and enjoyed it. The weather was perfect and we visited Monet's house and garden. There's a shuttlebus runs between Vernon, where we stayed, and Giverny.

Also worth seeing at Giverny, if you like that sort of thing, is this museum of old machinery:
Giverny | Natural Mechanical Museum

It's privately owned and has limited opening hours.
Thank you so much, we are going to moor at the yacht club at Vernon if they have space or the quay on the other side of the river, we have two bikes (one electric, one pedal) but a shuttle sounds much better, where does it leave from?
On the Loire, i think our current plan has us joining the Loire lateral canal much further south than that but, hey, nothing is fixed in stone apart from the over winter in Paris and tentative summer stop at Port Napoleon!

Poignard

Visit site
Here is the info. you need.

https://giverny.org/transpor/Giverny-bus-shuttle-2017-en-couche.pdf

We caught the bus at Vernon station. It waits for the train from Paris before departing.

I suggest you board the bus at Vernon station before the train from Paris arrives because it then rapidly filled up (and I mean filled! :eek:) with passengers from the train.

Also, I suggest you get to Monet's house and garden as early as you can in the hope of avoiding the crowds. That's what we will do next time we visit.

I'm interested in the trip you are making. Have you posted about it before, or are you doing a blog?

Gustywinds

Visit site
I'm interested in the trip you are making. Have you posted about it before, or are you doing a blog?
Well, yes and no. We are documenting it with notes, photos and videos but not publishing as we go. My wife is someone who was in the public eye before she retired and wants it to remain private for now. What we may do, if it is interesting enough, is publish it once each major stage is done.
Our original intent was to start at Dunkerque down to the Med then back up through Canal du Midi /Toulouse/Bordeaux/ Brittany and home over an 18 month period to coincide with the 18 month limit a British boat could be in the EU.
As it turned out we bought the boat in the Netherlands and spent the first couple of months there and in Belgium before starting at Dunkerque at the beginning of last month. Spent a few weeks mostly in war related stuff until the wife got "all battlefielded out" and moved on to the Oise. We have 2 months wintering booked in Paris from mid-November to mid Jan but will probably extend that to mid Feb as we are hosting various friends there and also letting one couple use it while we are away over Xmas/New Year, then we head south. We havent fully made our minds up what to do between Giverny and mid Nov, we have to go home for one week for a family function and to get my wife logged as travelling with me (I have an EU passport , she doesn't and she arrived in France after me this time) and then we think we will go through Paris and out along the Marne for a bit. Likewise, as we are no longer limited to 18 months, we may turn right and go to Italy or left and go to Spain. Or the original plan up the Midi. NIce to be flexible! Keep doing it as long as money doesn't run out, our health fails or we get bored.

Gustywinds

Visit site
That sounds like a wonderful adventure.
Its had its ups and downs so far. We had a couple of health issues and the weather through the early part of France was a bit colder than expected but it has been beautiful here the past couple of days. Tuesday/Wednesday look a bit rainy but we'll see

Greg2

Visit site
….. we have to go home for one week for a family function and to get my wife logged as travelling with me (I have an EU passport , she doesn't and she arrived in France after me this time)….
How does that work please?

SWMBO has an EU passport and I have read various versions of what is permissible if I am travelling with her, the latest being that if travelling with her I can stay in a particular EU country for 3 months (presume 90 days) and I am not restricted if we then move on to another EU country (presume for up to 90 days before ‘rinse and repeat’) but if we wish to remain in the same EU country I must obtain some kind of visa, which is provided fairly swiftly.

Assuming this is accurate (?) how does it work at the point of entry i.e. is my passport marked to show that I am in company with my spouse who has an EU passport?

Gustywinds

Visit site
How does that work please?

SWMBO has an EU passport and I have read various versions of what is permissible if I am travelling with her, the latest being that if travelling with her I can stay in a particular EU country for 3 months (presume 90 days) and I am not restricted if we then move on to another EU country (presume for up to 90 days before ‘rinse and repeat’) but if we wish to remain in the same EU country I must obtain some kind of visa, which is provided fairly swiftly.

Assuming this is accurate (?) how does it work at the point of entry i.e. is my passport marked to show that I am in company with my spouse who has an EU passport?
Travel documents for non-EU family members - Your Europe

If you go through the links there you eventually get to: Faire une demande sur internet pour un titre de séjour, un changement de situation, un titre de voyage, une demande de naturalisation ANEF (Démarche en ligne)

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
Many thanks - I a quick look through appears to confirm my previous understanding of the situation.

Would I be right in saying that if we know out stay in a particular country will be longer than 90 days at the point of entry (e.g. for your extended time in France) then my reading is that I should apply for a residency visa at the point of entry, or possibly in advance. Have I got that right?

Gustywinds

Visit site
Many thanks - I a quick look through appears to confirm my previous understanding of the situation.

Would I be right in saying that if we know out stay in a particular country will be longer than 90 days at the point of entry (e.g. for your extended time in France) then my reading is that I should apply for a residency visa at the point of entry, or possibly in advance. Have I got that right?
Not sure if you can apply before as I think you need an address in France, we are going to use the Arsenal Marina in Paris where we will be for a while. I may be wrong :)