Compass nav Lights

johna

Visit site
Starboard bulb dead looked at Compass web site. Replacement bulb £7.95, Complete Nav light together with both 10W and 25W bulbs £9.95.

Does anyone have experience of these lights, quality, performance, etc. At the above prices the unit appear to be a better deal than the spare bulb especially if I can sell the 25W bulbs at knock down rates to owners of 12 metre+ boats.

<hr width=100% size=1>

floatything

Visit site
I recently bought a set of these nav lights from Compass. They are basic, simple and look fairly robust. The stern and steaming lights were by Lalizas. The bicolour port/starboard light was almost identical, branded as 'Croce del Sud'. The only difference was a slight variation in the rear, which on this light required it to be mounted to a backing plate.

Now here is where I have to give an unreserved pat on the back to Compass - I returned the steaming light because it had a moulding fault, and also the bicolour because I dont have a light mounting on my pushpit - and asked whether they might have a different one that could be bolted straight on. I was immediately phoned back to clarify what I wanted, and the subsequent amount of effort that one of their members of staff put in to try and find the best replacement for me was extraordinary. She sent me photocopies of manufacturer's listings, emailed me with info, phoned and faxed their German office, looked at photos of my pulpit, got lots of technical advice for me from their tech department - all in all I am VERY impressed. Replacements were sent promptly and I was kept informed throughout. All for the sake of a couple of cheap nav lights! Of course I have no connection with Compass - other than being a very satisfied customer.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
i bought a pair of cheap nav lights (plastic housing, 10w festoon bulbs). the green lens faded to white after about 2 years use.

if you get a complete new unit, keep the old one in case the new one fades.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tugboat

Visit site
IMHO festoon bulbs and the lights they are fitted in are really not up to the job and have no place on a boat. The bulb contacts are always giving trouble and the housings usually let in water. Maybe fit them at deck level (if you must or if one has a small boat) where they can be easily accessed for repair but never aloft. Those deck floodlights with the halogen bulb open to the elements are another joke. Talk about not being suitable for a marine environment, yet that is exactly where they are intended for. Bah humbug! I'm doing well for minor rants today. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>