Compass binnacle

barryhall

Visit site
Help! I have a brass compass binnacle which was rather tatty with paint flaking off and I decided to repaint it. In order to remove the last of the paint and to obtain a nice matt surface for painting I had our workshop bead blast it. Unfortunately the blaster was a bit heavy handed and the binnacle has distorted. I have been trying to bend it back but it is not at all easy as the edges have rolled over. Anyone have any suggestions. I have Googled to see if I can buy one but they seem to be either antiques or specific to particular compasses.
My compass is about 140mm dia but has no identifying marks.
Thanks,
Barry

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Barry,

You could add some epoxy resin and filler, sand to required shape and paint.

Or: Check out you local scrap merchant, I have a couple of very nice binnacles using old conveyor belt return rollers, they use aluminium ones around metal detectors and needless to say being a softer metal need to be changed out regularly, I just cut around the top of one end then cut to length required at the other end.

Clean up, add any rails, foot rests or cover bars with a little welding then send the whole thing into the Powder Coater shop and your done.

Avagoodweekend......

barryhall

Visit site
Thanks for reply but the trouble is the domed cover which is two hemispheres one inside the other and inner one rotates to open. If they are both not perfectly spherical it doesn't rotate. Cylindrical bit I can sort.
I think it is back to patient panel beating /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Barry

jollyjacktar

Visit site
You could try an expert panelbeater such as a musical instrument repair shop, the type who repair brass band instuments, trumpets, trombones etc. They are used to working in thin brass sheet. You may try a jewellery manufacturing shop for the same reasons. Some of them do work in silver and beat out trophies and other interesting shapes. Modern panelbeaters just use plastic filler etc and may not have the required skills. You need the services of a good old fashioned craftsman. Good luck with your own personal efforts.

barryhall

Visit site
Thanks, I hadn't thought of musical instrument repairers or jewellers as a source of craftmanship. Having spent this afternoon bending and tapping it is beginning to look passable, at least I can open and shut it. The final result will depend on how long my patience will last.
Barry