Comeback for chart tables?

[3889]

Visit site
Let's hope not. In this day and age chart tables are about as useful as those desks, presumably for composing missives home in copperplate, that are offered on 42'+ yachts in lieu of a second heads in the fwd cabin. Even with paper charts does anyone really sit at the CT rather than use the saloon table on a modern boat?

Last edited:

Pete7

Visit site
Yes, because the saloon table is currently at home in the roof so we can easily walk passed the mast. Admittedly the CT seems to end up with everything dumped on it and some discipline is required to stop memsaab from putting cooking stuff on it :ambivalence:

Grumpybear

Visit site
Yes, because the saloon table is currently at home in the roof so we can easily walk passed the mast. Admittedly the CT seems to end up with everything dumped on it and some discipline is required to stop memsaab from putting cooking stuff on it :ambivalence:

Take back control of the chart table - do the cooking. You know it makes sense.

jac

Visit site
Yes - even with a saloon table available!!

I may have a chart table fetish to be honest but I do like a nice CT. Everything at hand to do any planning, All the instruments conveniently laid out allowing routing, plotting, writing up the log etc. I use one very little when underway but we mainly daysail and crossing the channel or Lyme bay isn't exactly that challenging so once the initial plan is developed, Waypoints into the plotter etc it's about delivery.

RupertW

Visit site
Chart table an absolute must for us. It's the secure seat and office that works even when heeled right over. My wife paid for tonight's meal and then some by joining a conference call with laptop and papers while I tacked backwards and forwards in 20-30 knots of wind today with waves to match.

lpdsn

Visit site
Even with paper charts does anyone really sit at the CT rather than use the saloon table on a modern boat?

Absolutely. Chart table is on the centreline at foot of companionway so is very useful at sea (where to be honest I usually stand) or in port (where I usually let the seat down and sit).

[3889]

Visit site
Horses for courses - I keep all my nav equipment in my pocket, with a couple of spare sets dotted around in cubby holes.

NDG

Visit site
It's not a proper boat without a chart table.

It can even be used for navigation when not being used as a dressing table.

KAL

Visit site
Let's hope not. In this day and age chart tables are about as useful as those desks, presumably for composing missives home in copperplate, that are offered on 42'+ yachts in lieu of a second heads in the fwd cabin. Even with paper charts does anyone really sit at the CT rather than use the saloon table on a modern boat?
Absolutely. I love my chart table and use it all the time. It's the only place where no drinks or food are ever put and everything is in the one place ready for nav action. Wouldn't be without it. Yes, I use electronic charts and have 3 x redundancy, but still put a plot on the paper chart and check the bearings as a backup and because I love seeing the progress on passage.

Hydrozoan

Visit site
Viewed as a multi-functional work area and a secure seat, a CT is not nearly so ‘superfluous’. On a 32 ft boat of older design and traditional layout, ours doubles in port as dry/clean galley worktop; sacrilege to some perhaps, but to me it’s sensible use of limited worktop area. It is also used as a desk, but for navigation the full surface is available for paper charts as the laptop then sits next to it on a RAM tray on a ball-jointed leg mounted on a shelf outboard of the quarterberth.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com

We use our chart table at sea and in port. At sea the saloon table leaves are invariable folded down and secured leaving a tiny area big enough to store your sun glasses or a mug of tea. If we opened one side up there are no real fiddles to stop the chart falling off.

Our plotter is at the chart table (no where to put it at the helm and I think there's an argument to be made for people on watch to look up and out rather than drive the boat round a screen.). The (separate) radar is also at the chart table. We keep a plot going on a paper chart on all but the shortest passages.

The chart table has a secure seat and I can wedge myself in to read when on passage. It's where we passage plan etc.

I'm not averse to having a quick look at Navionics on my phone when I'm in the cockpit but eve got a repeater on the panel over the companionway that shows BTW and distance to run and even a rolling road display with a countdown of miles to go to the waypoint.

If we win the lottery and we're buying a new boat, I wouldn't buy one unless it had a chart table.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Absolutely. Chart table is on the centreline at foot of companionway so is very useful at sea (where to be honest I usually stand) or in port (where I usually let the seat down and sit).

So is that on a Feeling 44 ? That's the only production boat I've ever seen that arrangement on, and I think it's rather a good one.

Mariner69

Visit site
A chart table is a must.

I have one over the starboard quarter berth in my Snapdragon 747.

About 4 foot long and 2 foot deep, beautifully varnished with fiddles on the edge. Puts up and is secured by a small brass shoot bolt type lock, esay to take down and stows at the bottom end of the quarter berth when in port.

The classic workmanship of one Mr Tom Cox a superb Marine Engineer on the East Coast and now sadly retired.