colvic traveller 28

asabay

Visit site
hope someone can help, what size of anchor do i need for colvic traveller 28, and what make is best ????

penfold

Visit site
:ROFLMAO: Settle in, you've lit a blue touch paper and will be on the receiving end of a list of every anchor available in chandlers plus some that aren't. I'll kick off with a 10kg Delta from Lewmar; not the best by any means but a reasonable anchor at a reasonable cost.

Tranona

Visit site
Difficult to define "best", but size is relatively easy. You will find just about all sizing charts will show 9/10kgs as the appropriate size.

As suggested the Delta is arguably the most popular anchor in the UK for general purpose anchoring. Avoid "copy" anchors - they are cheap because they usually use lower quality material or make changes to the design that may affect performance.

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, the Delta is averagely good. I've got one. To be on the safe side go heavier, say 15kg. You can never have too much weight in an anchor.
That is nonsense. No need for a 16kg on a 28' boat. The manufacturing recommends that size for boats between 34-44'.

What evidence do you have that it would be "better" that the manufacturer does not know about?

dombuckley

Visit site
Welcome to the forum. If you look back through old postings, you will see lots of heated arguments on this very subject!

It much depends on where you are rather than the type of boat. Most Colvic Travellers I have seen have been on inland waters, in which case a 14kg mudweight (attached to about 20m of 3-strand rope) will be more than adequate, with a couple of "mooring pins" for tying up to river banks. It gets more complicated if you are coastal cruising, as the best type of anchor depends principally on the nature of the seabed. If you are in a predominantly muddy area (such as the Thames estuary) then a CQR /plough type of about 10kg, while a pivoting fluke anchor such as a Danforth or a spade type may arguably perform better in sandy areas such as the Devon and Cornwall coast.

Then there are issues of handling, which need to be considered: most anchors are bulky, but need to be able to fit in the stemhead fitting of your boat, without the flukes banging against the bow. Alternatively, it may be stowed in chocks on the foredeck when not in use: though more cumbersome to deploy / recover, this arrangement has the advantage of reducing damage in the event of collision. Flat-stowing Danforth types are particularly suited to stowage on the foredeck.

Whatever the anchor, in coastal areas, a cable of about 50m of 8mm chain should be attached (and firmly secured at the inner end!). Secure the pin in the anchor shackle using wire, so it cannot come undone inadvertently, and secure the inner end (the "bitter end" - hence the phrase) using a lanyard rather than a shackle, so that it is secure, but can be quickly cut in an emergency.

penfold

Visit site
Yes, the Delta is averagely good. I've got one. To be on the safe side go heavier, say 15kg. You can never have too much weight in an anchor.
Without knowing what anchoring is proposed I'd say you can have too much weight as having a lumbering chunk of iron you hate manipulating will discourage use. When new most owners would have come home from the chandler lugging a 25lb CQR.

dombuckley

Visit site
That is nonsense. No need for a 16kg on a 28' boat. The manufacturing recommends that size for boats between 34-44'.

What evidence do you have that it would be "better" that the manufacturer does not know about?
Aaaaand, we're off!! Grab your popcorn, settle in to your comfy chair, let the fireworks commence....

Neeves

Visit site
I'm surprised there is not an anchor already on the boat. Tell us what kit is already on the boat, rope rode, chain, shackles, anchor and hopefully you will enjoy some sensible answers.

You will do yourself a favour, and the members here, if you tell us roughly where you are, where you are likely to use the boat and whether you only want an anchor for lunch or for overnight. As mentioned in previous posts how you will use the anchor will determine the advice you get. Being active on a canal is very different to the Thames and decidedly different if you live on the shores of Loch Ness :)

Because you are asking the question I assume you are fairly new to boatings.

As you might guess 'good' anchors cost more than ordinary anchors. Once you get a few replies here - try ebay, or equivalent or boat jumbles if you are on a budget. Do you have 'shops' selling second hand kit - try the 'for sale' and wanted section of the forum.

You will get lots of advice - distil the advice and tell us what suits you best and you will hopefully get the answers you need.

And

Welcome to the forum.

Jonathan

Last edited:

asabay

Visit site
I'm surprised there is not an anchor already on the boat. Tell us what kit is already on the boat, rope rode, chain, shackles, anchor and hopefully you will enjoy some sensible answers.

You will do yourself a favour, and the members here, if you tell us roughly where you are, where you are likely to use the boat and whether you only want an anchor for lunch or for overnight. As mentioned in previous posts how you will use the anchor will determine the advice you get. Being active on a canal is very different to the Thames and decidedly different if you live on the shores of Loch Ness :)

Because you are asking the question I assume you are fairly new to boatings.

As you might guess 'good' anchors cost more than ordinary anchors. Once you get a few replies here - try ebay, or equivalent or boat jumbles if you are on a budget. Do you have 'shops' selling second hand kit - try the 'for sale' and wanted section of the forum.

You will get lots of advice - distil the advice and tell us what suits you best and you will hopefully get the answers you need.

And

Welcome to the forum.

Jonathan
anchor on boat is a 8kg one of the guys says it's to small and to use it as a back anchor he says i should go for something in the region of 12kg

Wansworth

Visit site
The anchour you have will do for a kedge anchour……..good to learn the proper terminology as it helps communication and respects the tradition of the business of going to sea

PCUK

Visit site

Years of experience. If you anchor in a force nine off Sheerness you'll be glad of the weight and be glad you didn't skimp due to silly advice!

Supertramp

Visit site
Try this site for a start.

What Size Anchor Do I Need? | Knowledge Centre | Jimmy Green Marine

Quite useful as it distills the info across manufacturers. The Lewmar anchors (Delta and Epsilon) show lighter recommended weights than other new generation anchors. But I suspect that is about different testing assumptions. Also your boat is relatively short for it's weight and windage which would lead me to a 15/16kg anchor. With plenty of or all chain.

Sorry - just realised yours is a relatively light motorboat not the trawler yacht. A modern 10kg would make more sense.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Years of experience. If you anchor in a force nine off Sheerness you'll be glad of the weight and be glad you didn't skimp due to silly advice!
What evidence do you have that weight has any impact on the holding power of the anchor? Have you actually tested your "years of experience"? Why would a reputable manufacturer recommend a 10kg anchor when you really need a 15kg according to you? When you anchored off Sheerness in a force 9, did you try first with a 10kg then a 15kg to see which is better?

As said not just nonsense by very misleading advice to a newcomer.

BTW if you bothered to read the OPs question and subsequent post he is buying a small river cruiser commonly found on the Norfolk broads, so the chance of him getting anywhere near Sheerness never mind in a F9 are pretty remote.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
anchor on boat is a 8kg one of the guys says it's to small and to use it as a back anchor he says i should go for something in the region of 12kg
Depends on the type of anchor and where you are going to use the boat. Anchors vary in design and some are better than others overall or in particular situations. The anchors suggested so far are good al round anchors and a 10kg would be fine for river coastal and estuary cruising. Keep the existing one as a spare or for use as a kedge (anchoring by the stern). However kedging is rarely necessary in normal anchoring.

Neeves

Visit site
A photo is worth a thousand words - take a picture of your 8kg anchor and tell us where you are going to use the boat. If you are going to potter about in a river or canal with lots of trees down the banks your 8kg anchor might be fine - we don't know as it might simply be a lump of concrete with a ring in it. For river/canal bank anchoring a couple of reo rods and shore lines will suffice. If you are going to anchor off Sheerness in a Force 9, you are mad, but you will need different ground tackle.

Help us to help you.

Jonathan

Edit - I forgot and my mistake - I don't think you can post pictures until you have 5 posts but this may be wrong. Describe your 8kg anchor.

For your information

Anchors can be described, or classified, as old generation and new generation. The old gen includes CQR, Delta, Bruce and Danforth (google to find pictures). New Gen includes Rocna, Excel, Supreme, Vulcan, Viking, Knox (all of which are available from UK chandlers). The new gen anchors are more reliable and are more forgiving of setting technique (they are also more expensive). Old gen anchors are much copied - if you go that route - buy originals.

I'm going to endorse Tranona's idea of weight, 10kg will be fine - and as you don't know much, maybe nothing, I'd suggest you buy a New Gen anchor, try Jimmy Green on line for some ideas and your own local chandler (again if we knew where you are someone might recommend a decent chandler near you). Check eBay and local yacht clubs for second hand anchors.

We cannot tell you how much chain or chain and rope to carry as you have not told us where your 'boating' ground might be. If its a deep Scots loch, or English/Welsh lake a suggesting will be different to a canal location.

There is no shame in your giving us more detail - it will help us to help you.

Anchoring is pretty simple and is commonly very safe, most of us do it without thinking and have survived the exercise, no divorces and the kids (and in many cases grandkids), still want to come with us. We also learnt in much the same way you will, sage advice and a bit of practice. Don't worry.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Actually the photos in this link tell you just about all you need to know.

apolloduck.co.uk/boats/colvic/traveller-28

Like Supertramp I initially thought the boat was the more common Colvic Watson heavy displacement type which is normally seagoing and equipped for serious anchoring. The photo of the Colvic 19 in the link gives you an idea.

However the Traveller is a river cruiser and as you can see really does not have proper anchoring equipment because most are used on sheltered inland waterways as in the photos of the boats for sale. I would guess that most will have a 8kg copy Danforth type with maybe 5m of 6mm chain and 20m of 10mm rope - and that it is rarely if ever used. However if the boat is going to be used in tidal estuaries and regularly anchored up creeks rather than tied up to banks or pontoons then a better anchor and rode might be justified, along with perhaps a beefier bow roller and cleats.

The idea that it needs a 15kg anchor is absurd. Can you imagine handling that manually from that foredeck?

Tranona

Visit site
Only a few occasions in sticky Poole Harbour mud and 4-5m water. Sets instantly with a burst of astern and comes up with enough mud on it to show it has buried. Not particularly demanding test.