Columbia 36' 1969

chipy22

Visit site
Columbia 36\' 1969

Hi every one, I want to by a cheep sail boat and I came across the Columbia 36 1969 and I thought it might fit the bill in what basic commodity I want in a cruising boat. Now my question is, judging by the price that this boat has in the market. Is it any good to go cruising around the world? Is it strong enough in storms conditions? Doe’s it sail, reasonable well in all point of sail?
My dream is to go cruising south from Ontario Canada, down the Atlantic coast to Usuhaia Argentina, through Magellan strait to Chile.
North to the Galapagos Is. And the south Pacific islands from there would be the usual route back to North America.
Thank you, for your responses

Oscar Miguel
Ontario, Canada.

<hr width=100% size=1>

roly_voya

Visit site
Re: Columbia 36\' 1969

Don't know this one but most boats from that period are good and solid so it's probably worth a look. If its cheep because all the gear is tired that may be good because much of the stuff that comes on weekend/holiday boats is not up to long term cruising! depends if you want to spend the time and money creating your 'ideal boat' or buy one ready to go and accept someone elses ideas on fiting-out

<hr width=100% size=1>

chipy22

Visit site

Tanks you, I though it may be like that but I wanted a second opinion.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lost

Visit site

You dont need a battle ship to survive storms you just need to look after your boat, even quite fragile boats survive if handled well...condition of rigging/sails and rudder fixings as well as ensuring everything ias water tight is what makes a safe boat. Lok after your boat and it'll look after you, we found some fragile old wooden boats had survived storms better that great steel battle ships of yachts...mainly because they didn't push too hard when it got tough.
and of course all the through hull fittings need a good look at as well as whats connected to them...theyre cheap and easy to re-new

<hr width=100% size=1>

hajari32

Visit site

I've just recently bought a Columbia 36. From my experience so far, it sails very well. The strongest winds I've been out in where 20-25 knots gusting to 35 on slightly tighter then a beam reach and the boat was well under control with a 110 and single reef in the main (the first reef is short, about 2 feet on the luff on my main). I haven't flown the spin yet but under main and poled out headsail it was a bit of a dog downwind. I liveaboard (still transitioning from the old boat) and it has so far proved to be a very comfortable layout. My complaints to date are mainly that every portlight leaks at least a little in a good soaking. My intentions are to take a year off and cruise the Bahamas, something I feel is well within the abilities of the boat. There is a reference on www.columbia-yachts.com to an owner who circumnavigated in his 36. The perfect boat is the one you can afford!

<hr width=100% size=1>