Coldddddd in the Med

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I hope tho who left their boats in Greece have winterise their engine,
The weather in some parts dropping to -10 .
Who would ever tho so.
Even parts of Crete I understand had snow .
We had it down to 5c in Sicily and it's the coldest winter I had in the Med and seens to get colder each year.
Warning For newbie liveaboard as well as good shading for the burning summer sun don't forget good heating from much more cold winters to come.

Neeves

Visit site
Good to hear of you Vic.

Its global warming!

Don't feel that you alone are suffering. I'm not complaining of cold but its been a cool summer in Sydney with lots of rain. Over on the other side of the island they have had
a record run of over 40 degrees for well over a week in Perth.

Did the eye sort itself out?

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Crisby

Visit site
Bloody typical our first winter onboard! We came back to the UK for Christmas and heading back to the boat in a few days via Athens which I’ve just seen covered in snow!

Luckily we left the boat well prepared just in case Covid affected our return but it looks like my first job when I get onboard will be to put the heating on.

Chris

grumpygit

Visit site
I don't envy you guys at all, I hated a cold damp boat. Our boat had been fitted with reverse cycle a/c but it was removed for whatever reason before we bought the boat and we just used electric heaters powered by the boats generator, not cost efficient but it was rarely used.
What do you all you guys use as heating, as in being the best heat wise, reliability and cost effectiveness?

Crisby

Visit site
While we are hooked up to shore power a mains powered dehumidifier for damp and an eberspacher diesel heater which I run for maybe 3 hours a day and uses very little diesel.and can be run without shore power without draining the batteries.

Chris

Yngmar

Visit site
The awful weather Vic is complaining about:

2875290cb83cd796.jpg

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...Even parts of Crete I understand had snow ...

Saw that on a friend's photos. I couldn't help but wonder how crazy it must be on the roads there: When there's snow on the roads in SE England (perhaps two mornings a year?) it's absolute carnage, how bad must it be in somewhere that gets snow on two mornings in twenty years?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Saw that on a friend's photos. I couldn't help but wonder how crazy it must be on the roads there: When there's snow on the roads in SE England (perhaps two mornings a year?) it's absolute carnage, how bad must it be in somewhere that gets snow on two mornings in twenty years?
There no doubt in my mind that year on year the weather in the Med is getting colder in the winter and hotter in the summer .
Whats also is noticeable is settle weather in the spring is getting later.
Ous season was begin March till near the End of Dec , second week of Oct we was tucked up last year and there a good chance we stay tucked up till April this year.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Good to hear of you Vic.

Its global warming!

Don't feel that you alone are suffering. I'm not complaining of cold but its been a cool summer in Sydney with lots of rain. Over on the other side of the island they have had
a record run of over 40 degrees for well over a week in Perth.

Did the eye sort itself out?

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan
Hi Jonathan
Eye is slightly better, I had it checked out again while in the UK and got told the same , they couldn't find long term damage ,
I think I'm just going to live with looking through a brown splod , it's worst in bright sun light.

Visit site
There no doubt in my mind that year on year the weather in the Med is getting colder in the winter and hotter in the summer .
Whats also is noticeable is settle weather in the spring is getting later.
Ous season was begin March till near the End of Dec , second week of Oct we was tucked up last year and there a good chance we stay tucked up till April this year.
I don't have the impression that it's becoming colder here. I had my lunch outside in 17C. My swimming season ended in the second week in Nov. Just seen that tomorrow's forecast is 17.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't have the impression that it's becoming colder here. I had my lunch outside in 17C. My swimming season ended in the second week in Nov. Just seen that tomorrow's forecast is 17.
We also had our lunch out side under the winter encloser that is , also sunny and felt warm all cosy under Canvas and plastic .

Now at 19.40 Lt it's 9c inside after the cooker gone off,
More like 5/6c outside,
overnight temp expected around 5c again.

AVG night temp for this part of the Med is around 10/12 c it's been as low as 4c.

Friend in Greece said it was -1 the other night,

Good news for us is it should start to get warmer for a bit anyway.

SandyP

Visit site
Who would ever tho so.
We had it down to 5c in Sicily and it's the coldest winter I had in the Med and seens to get colder each year.
Warning For newbie liveaboard as well as good shading for the burning summer sun don't forget good heating from much more cold winters to come.

Crete always gets snow in the mountains, this year isn't too different. On bad years the snow line makes it to the sea
The rest of Greece is getting unusual snow, but nothing an the Ionian side apparently. Yet.

mikegunn

Visit site
Who would ever tho so.
Hi Vic,
I can remember seeing significant snowfall in winter 2011/2012 in Marina di Ragusa. You're going soft in your old age.

Mike

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Vic,
I can remember seeing significant snowfall in winter 2011/2012 in Marina di Ragusa. You're going soft in your old age.

Mike
You probably right Mike
I remember commenting in them who velcro their boats in Oct and didnt leave again till The end of their contracts , while we use to go off for weeks at a time throught the winter months.
Now we almost becoming one of them.