Coasting Bargemaster. A.W. Roberts

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Published back in 1949 a very readable account of life as a sailing bargemaster between the two World War.
These guys were incredible sailors in a really tough world.

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
Bob Roberts was an interesting character who was unusual in his day that he courted a 'media profile'. He wasn't native to the East coast and for lots of reasons, including I'm sure a degree of jealously from other barge and oyster men, he wasn't universally liked or even admired. I grew up being regaled by all sorts of stories about him from from my grandparents, including his lack of seamanship and his matrimonial arrangements, that painted him as a right rum 'un.

Reading more widely about him in recent years allows you to mainly see that back then, being a little 'different' did rather set you apart. Although the same group of people were very accepting of Kim Holman and the Rabbi Lionel Blue, so who knows?

Visit site
Thanks for the link.
I wonder what B.R. would have to say about the exciting wooden cargo ship revival, (ethically and greenly shifting craft rums, fancy wine and chocolate etc, rather than general bulk cargo) exemplified by the engineless, ocean-going Tres Hombres, the Nordlys (a very old converted Brixham trawler), the great new lugger Grayhound, etc?

The talk of 'last wooden vessel trading under sail' was happily wide of the mark, and in addition, the likes of Luke Powell's Working Sail (planning to reconstruct the Rhoda Mary, a big trading schooner, on top of his pilot cutters) make this a wonderful era to be involved with, or just an enthusiast of, heritage working craft, new and old.

Last edited:

Wansworth

Visit site
I don’t recall any conversation about not liking motors .The Vectis Isle was very slow and we hand steered much of the time and the anchour was manual as well although it did have a Lister motor at times.On one occasion we ended up going backwards at the height of a gale in the channel......in many ways it felt like an old sailing coaster!