Clipper Weatherman

DaveAlpine

Visit site
Contemplating buying one of these, but would appreciate anyones experience before I part with the cash! Any idea if there is a chart of coverage anywhere on the web as I am based in the Med and wondered if I am in range?

Thanks/Dave

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
I'd appreciate info aswell, I'm also in the med and would like to know it's worth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
the nasa weatherman works quite well in my experience of it in n spain. the signal is hf and there are (from memory) 4 frequencies to chose from. so reception is unlikely to be a problem anywhere in the med or even across the atlantic. however, propagation is time dependant, so you will have to learn which frequency works best at which time of day.

the weather info given for the med is based on a german station and the coverage is quite good. however, i would still prefer to use the ham radio because the uk maritime mobile net have a whole range of forecasts to chose from and can be more area specific. the italian mm net is also quite good.

the weatherman isnt much use in the uk since the german weatherstation it uses only gives forecasts for the channel.

personally, i have always found nasa to be good kit, and at least its British. maybe we should support our own sometimes.

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by birdseye on 26/06/2003 22:29 (server time).</FONT></P>

mdrifter

Visit site
What's the gripe with NASA gear? Just because it is a bit cheaper than others? Of course if you have ssb receiver and a lap-top with soundcard you can decode all that Weatherman does and more with the appropriate software/shareware - try www.hffax.com or "google" on rtty, navtex, wxfax. Dedicated NavTex and Weatherman might be just the job if you don't want all the other bits and pieces associated with pc's/lap-tops.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Samphire

Visit site
Ever heard the saying "you get what you pay for" well in my experience it is applicable even more so to boaty/marine related gear.
Samphire

<hr width=100% size=1>