Cleaning prop of tube worm etc

Heckler

Visit site
Lifted in Bruces the other week, despite hammerite, anti fouling etc the prop, after Bruces power wash, still had remnants of stuff on. I went to Jumbos to get some acid but they only had 5 litres of acido muriatic. So I bought a litre of wine vinegar. Slathered it on, left for a shile, some rubbing and they started to turn to grey mush. Some scotch brite and repeated applications got it as bright as a new penny within half an hour. No trace of white stuff left now. Have put hammerite on again, cant find hammerite primer, plus Hempel antifoul on top. Will report back next year!

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I fear that Hammerite (not primer) is not going to last long on a manganese bronze prop. it really needs to be Hammerite Special Metals primer, which adheres well and lasts for years.

Not too confident in eroding antifoul either, it doesn't last long on the blade tips.

Velox is the stuff for the Med, where it was developed. Nothing is 100% proof against tubeworm but this is the worst result we have had in six years, half the year in the water. This was 2016, when we spent a lot of time in harbours, which always allows more shell to accumulate. It is not cheap but in 2019 I am still on the same tin I bought in 2012. I also use it on my log impeller, without primer. 3 months sailing now and I have not pulled it once.

De.windhoos

Visit site
I fear that Hammerite (not primer) is not going to last long on a manganese bronze prop. it really needs to be Hammerite Special Metals primer, which adheres well and lasts for years.

Not too confident in eroding antifoul either, it doesn't last long on the blade tips.

Velox is the stuff for the Med, where it was developed. Nothing is 100% proof against tubeworm but this is the worst result we have had in six years, half the year in the water. This was 2016, when we spent a lot of time in harbours, which always allows more shell to accumulate. It is not cheap but in 2019 I am still on the same tin I bought in 2012. I also use it on my log impeller, without primer. 3 months sailing now and I have not pulled it once.

Is there a reason you don't paint your prop shaft?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Short season for us this year but after almost exactly three months in the water hauled out yesterday. Not a single organism of any description on prop or P bracket . Two or three tiny limpets on the log impeller. All Velox painted.