cleaning fenders

Momac

Visit site
I am sure fenders that are any colour other than white are a good choice.

Cleaning seems to required various products selected from whatever is used generally for cleaning on the boat.

dunedin

Visit site
I use these “magic eraser sponges” if fenders get especially bad - eg after a polluted canal or harbour. Amazon.co.uk
Not perfect results but quick and makes a big difference.
Easy to use - sometimes do a few fenders if wind dropped and a long boring motor. Through fender in water to rinse - but tie on tight, as a round fender makes huge drag when pops under surface!

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I've tried many products with moderate success

I thought of trying gun cleaner and antifoul thinners. Probably take your skin off though. Screwfix sell a gun cleaner with foam in an aerosol can. Might give it a try .

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
A friend of ours who had worked on superyachts recommended cheapo over cleaner followed by rinsing in soapy then fresh water. Works well but you need to take care with gloves and a plastic sheet of some sort to prevent arisings dripping into the sea.

Personally, not a fan of fender socks. Dates back to when Mrs s worked in a chandlers and frequently had to deal with customer complaints about them....

Owl @ 6s and 7s

Visit site
Inspired by this thread I today decided to try this inflatable boat & fender cleaner on my fenders. Based on the comments here I wasn't expecting much.
Seen from the pictures below the results are not perfect and some of the deepest stains are still visible. Following the product instructions I didn't apply pressure and instead just wiped the surface with microfibre sponge after letting the cleaner work around 30 seconds. Taking into account how easy the procedure was, I am rather happy with the results.
I already have a fairly long and detailed winterisation "playbook" or checklist, into which I welcome practical, efficient and economic additions. After today's experiment this procedure made its way in it.

Attachments

• 20240330_1423410.jpg
    20240330_1423410.jpg
    971.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240330_1430290.jpg
    20240330_1430290.jpg
    975.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240330_1432030.jpg
    20240330_1432030.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240330_1432460.jpg
    20240330_1432460.jpg
    960.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240330_1435110.jpg
    20240330_1435110.jpg
    974.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240330_1456540.jpg
    20240330_1456540.jpg
    964.3 KB · Views: 9

dunedin

Visit site
Inspired by this thread I today decided to try this inflatable boat & fender cleaner on my fenders. Based on the comments here I wasn't expecting much.
Seen from the pictures below the results are not perfect and some of the deepest stains are still visible. Following the product instructions I didn't apply pressure and instead just wiped the surface with microfibre sponge after letting the cleaner work around 30 seconds. Taking into account how easy the procedure was, I am rather happy with the results.
I already have a fairly long and detailed winterisation "playbook" or checklist, into which I welcome practical, efficient and economic additions. After today's experiment this procedure made its way in it.
I have an expensive bottle of that in the stern locker. Was completely useless for the dinghy/tender - perhaps might try on a fender rather than bin it.

davidmh

Visit site
I think the problem is that the bright shiny surface degrades with UV. When you clean it is stays dull but clean, but it gets grubby much more quickly. I am sure they could be mde to last longer but its regular income for the supplier so they are not bothered.
David MH

Boathook

Visit site
Just ordered some to try.

I've found other the years other cleaners struggle with the engrained grime and was getting to the stage of purchasing new fenders.
I cleaned my fenders. First go was a non bio washing liquid that made a vast difference. Then used cif cream cleaner that made slight improvement followed by the solvent cleaner. This made no real difference that I could see.

Some of the dirty fenders shown here are my equivalent to clean !

I am worried that my clean looking fenders may encourage others to raft along side wheres the dirty ones put people off ! Just as well I haven't cleaned all of them yet ....