Cleaning Charges

Landlubber

Visit site
To all boat owners, i need your advice!!My skipper recently tried to charge me £40 to clean & polish his boat, is this a reasonable rate or should i ask for a discount? Softer Polish maybe? and what about hot water, should i dare ask for it? Iam new to this sailing lark, but a keen scuttlebutt reader, and therefore look to you for advice and answers which i am sure you will give in plenty.
He also mentioned working my passage, would someone explain this nautical term.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StugeronSteve

Visit site
B****y reasonable if you ask me! I know a few b*****s on here who would charge you a darn sight more than that to wash their boats. Your b****y lucky your skipper didn't give you a taste of the cat for your cheek. Oh and don't give me that rot about cat being better than the nosh that he normally serves up.

Oh, by the way, welcome aboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>Semper Bufo

MrG

Visit site
Hello Landlubber - welcome aboard.

You didnt say how long you were aboard, if thats a daily rate then thats v good value. If it was a weekend that you got off lightly.
I usually charge an arm and a leg for my crew, but I do throw in the hot water.

I sometimes find I need to lock the companionway then stand on the hatch before all the works done as the crew have a tendency to wander off.

Following this regime also means I have plenty of fresh crew, as those who've been before are generally busy when I call them up.

As for working your passage this can entail one of 2 things.
1 - Whilst underway you will be expected to earn your crust doing such items as the skipper quite rightly sees fit. eg splicing warps,halyards, tightening guard rails,
cleaning heads etc.
2 - involves other duties of a rather more personal nature, which I'm not at liberty to go into here.

All the best

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue>Regards Mark

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
2 - involves other duties of a rather more personal nature, which I'm not at liberty to go into here.

But they include a barrel and a bunch of straws, one for each crew member. Pretty poor odds if you are the only crew.

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk>
1.gif
</A>

Landlubber

Visit site
I was fortunate enough to be working top side, however i felt that the irons that were clamped on were a little excessive and worrying especially with a skipper wondering around muttering things like "working his passage" and "I'll show him a bowline close up" etc

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Have you met Nicho, he's from the E Midlands as well, he'll show you a thing or six about passage working, he got so excited about it he got his very own bow thruster and if you don't behave and stump up .. you'll soon be stumped!

<hr width=100% size=1>

StugeronSteve

Visit site
I think you might have registered on the wrong forum. We don't have none of that fetishistic fantasy nonsense on here. Try mobo chat.

<hr width=100% size=1>Semper Bufo<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by StugeronSteve on 21/07/2004 08:58 (server time).</FONT></P>