Cleaning Anodised Aluminium Mast

mfhmfh

Visit site
I am re-fitting a twenty year old yacht. The anodised masts look a little "Tired"
Any advice on the best way to clean.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pwfl

Visit site
yes, soapy water, but you can actually use the green scotchbrite pads.

you can then get this stuff called aerowax (i think), that`s supposed to protect the aluminium.

<hr width=100% size=1>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I had this problem two years ago. My mast is now quite black where it has never been covered, in contrast to the area beneath the sail cover where it is relatively bright. I tried every cleaning method I could dream up or read on these forums, including sodium carbonate, aluminium wheel cleaner, Scotchbrite and a few others. Not a single one made a scrap of difference. If you are really serious then follow the advice given on repainting it. Otherwise I suggest you learn to love it as it is. I did.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kingfisher

Visit site
ah, but

I did mine two years ago:
break up anodising with p40, smooth with P240
etch primer
2 layers of prekote
2 layers of primer
2 layers of gloss
All International, 2-pot

But now, blisters are appearing all over the place, especialy near the SS accesories, eye-bolts etc, everything below 1,5m (salt spray?). The rigger says that it is mainy cosmetic, so at least no worries there, and the mast is still standing.

And agreed, it looked stunning the first season. So beware. But if you want to do it:
1) remove ALL items from the mast, including eyepads etc..
2) do it in a well ventilated, heated (temp must be constant) room

BTW it took me a month: 2hours each evening. Seven layers, and you can't do both sides at the same time, so painting is at least 14 days.

<hr width=100% size=1>Group of people on the pontoon: skipper is the one with the toolbox.
http://sirocco31.tripod.com

Birdseye

Visit site
bought a boat with a black anodised mast. after a while it really got to me - bit like wearing kipper ties and flares in 2003! so I decided to paint it, but didnt want the black to show through on any chips.

so i removed the black anodising by washing the mast surface with a concentrated sodium hydroxide solution and industrial scotchbrite pads. took a lot of effort, but worked in the end.

then painted with 2 coats twin pack epoxy and 2 coats of poly - both after using an aluminium primer. has worked well and the result looks good.

however, i wouldnt do it again and wouldnt recommend it to anyone else. the sodium hydroxide exercise was dangerous - i had to wear industrial rubber gloves and full skin protection suit (sodium hydroxide will literally disolve you if you let it!). there can also be something of a polution problem!

a much better solution is to take the mast along to someone like southampton anodisers, who will re-anodise for a very reasonable cost. what stopped me was the impossibility of transporting the mast such a long way.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mfhmfh

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't want to repaint the mast(s) as the anodising was intact, just badly oxidised. Looked great when still wet. but returned to the dull state when dry. In the event Turtlewax Extreme wheel cleaner shifted the the oxidistation and Turtlewax T Cut gave a "bit" of a shine. Long job as "Unda" is a Nauticat 44 Ketch, two big masts.

Thanks again for helpful advice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ganter

Visit site
I'm resurrecting this thread (after 16 years) as I'm considering what to do with my 43 year old gold anodised Proctor mast as we speak.

Have the views changed on re-anodising/ painting.
Mine was originally gold anodised. The gold has pretty much turned to grey. Ultimately, what I'd like to do - is restore the original gold anodised finish as per the mast coming out the sheds at Proctor Masts, Titchfield, Hampshire.

Have methods evolved?

What is possible these days?

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
I'm resurrecting this thread (after 16 years) as I'm considering what to do with my 43 year old gold anodised Proctor mast as we speak.

Have the views changed on re-anodising/ painting.
Mine was originally gold anodised. The gold has pretty much turned to grey. Ultimately, what I'd like to do - is restore the original gold anodised finish as per the mast coming out the sheds at Proctor Masts, Titchfield, Hampshire.

Have methods evolved?

What is possible these days?

Anything is possible if you're prepared to pay for it.

However, it could well cost a lot more than the boat is worth.

ganter

Visit site
Anything is possible if you're prepared to pay for it.

However, it could well cost a lot more than the boat is worth.

Thanks for your reply.
Money is no object.

I'm really seeking advice on the practicalities of getting this done - not financial advice.

lw395

Visit site
Carbon-look stick back plastic.
Wood effect sticky back plastic....

Is it short enough to go in a vehicle spray booth?

ganter

Visit site
Carbon-look stick back plastic.
Wood effect sticky back plastic....

Is it short enough to go in a vehicle spray booth?

Negative. It's a shade over 30'

Really don't like the idea of either of those - the former being pretentious and the latter a little sad.

Just want to get the mast back to Proctor gold-anodised.

Thanks for ideas.