Clacton and Walton Lifeboats

nortada

Visit site
Of course, you could go to a halfway house with a professional main service and a volunteer auxiliary service (RNLI) running alongside; all managed by a central agency. This could keep the old but there wouldn’t longer be a rather self interested higher management. This would get away from the apparent current rift between the volunteers and a highly paid management team.

There are other outfits that already operate this model.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
Of course, you could go to a halfway house with a professional main service and a volunteer auxiliary service (RNLI) running alongside; all managed by a central agency. This could keep the old but there wouldn’t longer be a rather self interested higher management. This would get away from the apparent current rift between the volunteers and a highly paid management team.

There are other outfits that already operate this model.

In my experience it works fine at it is. The only rifts between crew and management are when the locals don't like a decision, and rather than accept it they immediately get onto the local press and social media.

A former LOM, recently asked to stand down, is quoted in the Telegraph today as saying that the Atlantic 85 that is proposed to replace his station's ALB only has a range of 6 miles.

If that is his grip on facts then perhaps it was best that he was stood down.

14K478

Visit site
I doubt if there has been a single year i the last two hundred when the RNLI has not had a spat between Head Office and at least one local station, along broadly these lines.

The whole history of the Institution is one of heroic rescues, bitter arguments. "independent" Lifeboats, boathouses falling down and so on.

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
So do you think the new CEO will help matters - or make things worse https://rnli.org/news-and-media/202...take-charity-into-third-century-of-lifesaving

He was responsible for withdrawing UKHO Small Craft Chart folios to save cost, and also unilaterally announced the withdrawal of all paper charts by 2026 - without any alternative approved for navigation electronic option being available for recreational / small craft (below ship ECDI level). He was forced to withdraw that by the MCA after complaints by, I believe, RYA, RIN and CA.

14K478

Visit site
Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Going back to the wreck of the Deutschland on the Kentish Knock in December 1875, when there was no lifeboat at Harwich, there has surely to be at least one ALB capable of reaching the outer banks in bad weather. Well, Harwich has got a Severn, now, but from 1918 to 1970 there was no ALB at Harwich. There will be a Shannon at Clacton, which in the nature of things has to cover an awful lot of estuary before the next station with an ALB which is Sheerness, and then Ramsgate.. Going North there are ALBs at Aldeburgh, Lowestoft and Yarmouth...

2. One of the things that an ALB can do and an inshore boat cannot do is tow in a yacht.

Surely there is a case for keeping an ALB at Walton, even in the Backwaters?

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Going back to the wreck of the Deutschland on the Kentish Knock in December 1875, when there was no lifeboat at Harwich, there has surely to be at least one ALB capable of reaching the outer banks in bad weather. Well, Harwich has got a Severn, now, but from 1918 to 1970 there was no ALB at Harwich. There will be a Shannon at Clacton, which in the nature of things has to cover an awful lot of estuary before the next station with an ALB which is Sheerness, and then Ramsgate.. Going North there are ALBs at Aldeburgh, Lowestoft and Yarmouth...

2. One of the things that an ALB can do and an inshore boat cannot do is tow in a yacht.

If an ALB is required in the area, as said before, the Severn already at Harwich, would appear to be in the best location.

Then there is just the ‘hearts and minds’ issue to address - decommission the redundant Walton boat and offer it to the town as a buy back. It then could be moored/managed with the James Steven’s, as a public attraction to raise awareness and funds for the RNLI.

Last edited:

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
The emotional/sentimental argument is a totally different issue and in this area the RNLI could have handled it a whole lot bebetter.

So do you think the new CEO will help matters - or make things worse https://rnli.org/news-and-media/202...take-charity-into-third-century-of-lifesaving

He was responsible for withdrawing UKHO Small Craft Chart folios to save cost, and also unilaterally announced the withdrawal of all paper charts by 2026 - without any alternative approved for navigation electronic option being available for recreational / small craft (below ship ECDI level). He was forced to withdraw that by the MCA after complaints by, I believe, RYA, RIN and CA.
He must have a fantastic pension from his previous activities. At the moment, the RNLI has to find £160k in donations for the current CEO's salary. It would be nice if the new boy will not take all of that considering it's a charity.

Cynical me.

14K478

Visit site
If an ALB is required in the area, as said before, Harwich would appear to be a good location.
"If?"

Harwich is a very good location. Harwich has one ALB. Harwich is a busy port and is entirely capable of having a major accident - the loss of the "European Gateway" in 1983 comes to mind. Its also possible that more than one yacht or fishing boat may need help at the same time. The distances are really quite large. I'm just saying that there is a good case for keeping an ALB at Walton.

14K478

Visit site
My initial thought is 'that's a disaster'. The Walton boat spends much of its time towing disabled yachts and reaching out into the middle of the Estuary. We have seen the Tamar responding at the SW Sunk towing a 35-40 yacht to Brightlingsea after rudder troubles: on another occasion Gladys and I saw a large yacht (40+?) from the nether regions of the Barrow Deep probably to the same place. A D class wouldn't be able to handle that. Yes, of course a Shannon at Clacton can do that which is handy for the examples I quoted but it seems a bit of a big gap north of Clacton. Southwold is an Atlantic.
Exactly.

nortada

Visit site
"If?"

Harwich is a very good location. Harwich has one ALB. Harwich is a busy port and is entirely capable of having a major accident - the loss of the "European Gateway" in 1983 comes to mind. Its also possible that more than one yacht or fishing boat may need help at the same time. The distances are really quite large. I'm just saying that there is a good case for keeping an ALB at Walton.
If 2 ALBs are needed at Harwich move the Walton boat to Harwich.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
"If?"

In the event of an incident such as the European Gateway, in the Harwich approach channel, the new boat at Clacton would be able to get there faster than the current Walton boat at Titchmarsh.

Look on the Clacton boat as a direct replacement for Walton.

Juan Twothree

Visit site

An ILB absolutely can tow a yacht. A D class is a bit limited size wise with what it can tow, but an Atlantic 85 has 230 hp at its disposal.

I've used an 85 to tow a tug and tow weighing 1300 tons. Admittedly the weather was good, but it was still a tad heavier than your average yacht.

Last edited:

Juan Twothree

Visit site
Then there is just the ‘hearts and minds’ issue to address - decommission the redundant Walton boat and offer it to the town as a buy back. It then could be moored/managed with the James Steven’s, as a public attraction to raise awareness and funds for the RNLI.

There's no way the RNLI would decommission the Walton boat. It has years of life left in it yet, and I suspect they're going to put the boats through a life extension programme, like they are doing with the Severns.
Don't be surprised to see ALBs in future that are 50 years old.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
He must have a fantastic pension from his previous activities. At the moment, the RNLI has to find £160k in donations for the current CEO's salary. It would be nice if the new boy will not take all of that considering it's a charity.

Cynical me.

I believe that the current CEO only drew half of his salary, at least for part of his incumbency.

I was talking to him today at the Westminster Abbey service. I could have asked him.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Maybe the CEO's position shouldn't be salaried...........When I donate its not what i'm giving my money for....

14K478

Visit site
An ILB absolutely can tow a yacht. A D class is a bit limited size wise with what it can tow, but an Atlantic 85 has 230 hp at its disposal.

I've used an 85 to tow a tug and tow weighing 1300 tons. Admittedly the weather was good, but it was still a tad heavier than your average yacht.
(coughs quietly) I wrote “an inshore boat” because that is what Walton are getting. They are not getting an Atlantic 85. Walton doesn’t have a lot of work for an inshore boat because it’s not that sort of a place. Its ALB goes all over the estuary, very often to the rescue of yachts and inshore fishermen.

An 85 as you yourself said earlier would make more sense. But keeping the ALB would be best because to reiterate there is no other ALB in Essex apart from Clacton, and it’s not beach resorts that we are concerned with, it’s the estuary and particularly the offshore banks.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
(coughs quietly) I wrote “an inshore boat” because that is what Walton are getting. They are not getting an Atlantic 85. Walton doesn’t have a lot of work for an inshore boat because it’s not that sort of a place. Its ALB goes all over the estuary, very often to the rescue of yachts and inshore fishermen.

An 85 as you yourself said earlier would make more sense. But keeping the ALB would be best because to reiterate there is no other ALB in Essex apart from Clacton, and it’s not beach resorts that we are concerned with, it’s the estuary and particularly the offshore banks.
[/QUOTE

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest