Chinese wind generator rectifier

Pagetslady

Visit site
Hi I have been given a Chinese rectifier is it also a voltage controller the instructions are not clear. I will attach a screen shot of the Amazon sales details, has anybody used one of these if so what does it actually do.

Attachments

• IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Does what it says on the tin. It takes unregulated three phase AC current from the wind turbine (the three large wires coming in) converts that to DC and controls the voltage so it can be fed to the batteries, it'll also prevent excessive current getting to the batteries by using a brake function, so it'll only work with a turbine that can be controlled by braking it. Other wind turbine controllers work by sensing when the batteries are charged and then sending the excess energy to a dump resistor.

VicS

Visit site
Hi I have been given a Chinese rectifier is it also a voltage controller the instructions are not clear. I will attach a screen shot of the Amazon sales details, has anybody used one of these if so what does it actually do.

Convert AC current to DC current so the AC turbine can be connected to battery.
When the battery is full charged,stop the turbine to protect the battery from over-charging.
When the charging current/voltage is too high, stop the turbine to protect the battery.
When we want to stop the turbine, Connnect the thin cable to the positive polar of the battery,the turbine will be stopped, disconnect it the turbine will be restarted.
IP67 waterproof design.

Pagetslady

Visit site
Thank you all, I have read the instructions on the Amazon site, but where it sais stop the turbine to prevent battery damage when fully charged, does that mean when the batteries are full, I should stop the turbine or does it mean it will will stop it and restart it when the voltage drops? The way it is written it sounds like a command rather than a stating that it will control the turbine according to battery state of charge.
Mike

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site
Thank you all, I have read the instructions on the Amazon site, but where it sais stop the turbine to prevent battery damage when fully charged, does that mean when the batteries are full, I should stop the turbine or does it mean it will will stop it and restart it when the voltage drops? The way it is written it sounds like a command rather than a stating that it will control the turbine according to battery state of charge.
Mike

Nahh, thats just chinglish for you.. Consider the first bullet point "Convert AC current to DC current so the AC turbine can be connected to battery" > do you think this is an instruction for you to convert ac to dc?

Sailingsaves

Visit site
Be aware:

I bought a chinese rectifier and regulator like the one you show to test with a 3 bladed chinese wind turbine.

The turbine had to be turned very fast (with a drill) to reach 14 Volts.
BUT when I made a simple rectifier with diodes, the turbine did not have to spin as fast to reach 14 volts.

The regulator did have two wires that would go to a switch and when connected, the spindle of the turbine did become very difficult to turn, so the brake worked.

So it does work but won't give much output in low winds.

Maybe professional electronic people would be able to explain my observations, because I don't know why the chinese regulator needed a faster spin. (Yes I did make proper rectifiers).

William_H

Visit site
I think OP would do best to open up the regulator and see what is inside.My experience witha friend's Chinese wind gen was the despite claims the box was a regulator it simply contained 6 diodes (a 3 phase rectifier) Voltage was totally dependent on wind speed and was pretty poor at actually putting current into a 12v battery. The power claims were obviously for output at 12v not 14v. I did manage to improve the output by replacing the diodes with schotky type diodes (lower forward volt drop) but the whole generator dismantled itself in a strong wind in the end.
Now I note that this "regulator" has wires for braking the turbine. This however can be done fairly easily by shorting out the 3 phase output. Perhaps with a relay for all windings . I am not sure about that. Or perhaps just one winding shorted out. If OP has only been given the regulator box then I can't imagine it being much use for anything but rectifier for a 3 phase gen. olewill

jiris

Visit site
I think OP would do best to open up the regulator and see what is inside.My experience witha friend's Chinese wind gen was the despite claims the box was a regulator it simply contained 6 diodes (a 3 phase rectifier) Voltage was totally dependent on wind speed and was pretty poor at actually putting current into a 12v battery. The power claims were obviously for output at 12v not 14v. I did manage to improve the output by replacing the diodes with schotky type diodes (lower forward volt drop) but the whole generator dismantled itself in a strong wind in the end.
Now I note that this "regulator" has wires for braking the turbine. This however can be done fairly easily by shorting out the 3 phase output. Perhaps with a relay for all windings . I am not sure about that. Or perhaps just one winding shorted out. If OP has only been given the regulator box then I can't imagine it being much use for anything but rectifier for a 3 phase gen. olewill

The "regulator" may be a good guess, I made the same experience.
The braking, however, can be sorted out (in case of the rectifier only) by simpler way - by shorting the DC output. The current needed to slow the rotor down to negligible revs is so small, the rectifier won't be overloaded. The peak current if you apply the "brake" at high speed will by higher, but because of its short duration it won't cause any harm either.
By no means try shorting only one coil. The torque applied to the rotor will not be sufficient and the rotor it will keep rotation quite fast. Gets worse: the rotor will behave as being out of balance and will be making horrible noise, sounding like the bearings are gone. I have seen quite a few people getting sucked into changing perfectly good bearings, while the problem was actually a blown diode or wire in one of the coils.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Nahh, thats just chinglish for you.. Consider the first bullet point "Convert AC current to DC current so the AC turbine can be connected to battery" > do you think this is an instruction for you to convert ac to dc?

Why, when the Chinese presumably invest in design, manufacture, advertising, packaging etc, do they not spend a few more dollars to achieve better translations?

jiris

Visit site
Why, when the Chinese presumably invest in design, manufacture, advertising, packaging etc, do they not spend a few more dollars to achieve better translations?

Beats me too, actually... I had some 2 ways radios for special purposes made in China by a respected manufacturer for import to Australia. The product was excellent, but I had to re-write the manual entirely. They didn't want to believe there was anything wrong with the original... Finally they accepted I was the boss and printed the material I supplied. After a few months they asked me to re-write manuals for a few other products and gave me some "freebies" for the job.

Lon nan Gruagach

Visit site

It is something that their department of trade is pushing. The main problem is that the manufacturers think they have already done this, probably some dodgy translators bugging up their ability.

prv

Visit site

Works both ways - I was told by several native speakers that the translations (both documentation and text in the software itself) of IBM products I worked on were terrible. One large sale was made conditional on the software displaying in English on their computers (otherwise in the local language) because the translation made so little sense but most of their operators could read some English.

Pete

William_H

Visit site
It is not just a translation issue for Ebay. Some of the sellers in China and similar areas can set them selves up as retailers on ebay with little knowledge of the product. I bought some isolation power supply units for isolation of supply to a digital volt meter. They duly arrived a tiny box with 4 wires coming out. I had no idea which wires were input and which was positive. Went back to the seller who had no idea and promised to get back to me. (and never did). Fortunately I guessed correctly and got them working but it did emphasise that sometimes with tech stuff they just sell and hope. olewill