Cherbourg Scuttlebutt September 2018

chubby

www.flickr.com
It is some years since I was in Cherbourg, do we just arrive and find a spot?

Yes, they are very laid back no dories or ribs to shepherd you like Yarmouth or SPP, the visitors pontoons and suggested lengths are clearly marked: M N P and Q from memory but any berth is fine.

Pay at the capintanerie or a RIB with a card machine checks round in the morning.

chubby

www.flickr.com
Yes, they are very laid back no dories or ribs to shepherd you like Yarmouth or SPP, the visitors pontoons and suggested lengths are clearly marked: M N P and Q from memory but any berth is fine.

Pay at the capintanerie or a RIB with a card machine checks round in the morning.

if you arrive in the dark and don't want to go ashore till morning there is also a waiting pontoon not linked to the shore near the marina entrance which is an option if you don't want to trawl up and down the fingers in the dark. it is alongside berthing and rarely full.

Concerto

Visit site
Now made it to Ocean Village. The trip from Dover to Brighton on Sunday was tough. Left at 0830 and arrived at 0330. It was quite a beat that started with a reefed main and double reefed genoa. During the day I went to full rig. About 80% of the time I hand steered as I could sail faster than the autopilot. Then today I left at 1000 and it was a gentle reach doing about 5 to 5½ konts to The Looe channel, but the wind dropped too low for an adequate arrival time so I motored the last 27 miles (which also recharged my depleted house batteries), but still arrived in the dark at 9pm.

Just a comment about how Windy was more accurate than the shipping forecast on both of the last 2 days. So I reckon that the Friday forecast should make the sail a blast. I am looking forward to a fast trip.

Normally I like to sail in peace and quiet, but I shall be listening on Ch 77 and message near arrival to see where you are all berthed.

prv

Visit site
I reckon that the Friday forecast should make the sail a blast. I am looking forward to a fast trip.

Are you looking at a different forecast to me? :suspicion:

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 23.57.12.png

Really hoping this sorts itself out - I have two newbie sailors (set foot on a yacht twice before, in light airs) who I wanted to introduce to the world outside Lake Solent. But six gusting seven (or indeed 8 gusting 10 on the way back :eek:) is really not what we want for that.

Pete

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
One this morning's forecasts we want the GFS weather for Friday and the ECMWF for Sunday.
What are the chances of that happening?

dom

Visit site
Are you looking at a different forecast to me? :suspicion:View attachment 73196Really hoping this sorts itself out - I have two newbie sailors (set foot on a yacht twice before, in light airs) who I wanted to introduce to the world outside Lake Solent. But six gusting seven (or indeed 8 gusting 10 on the way back :eek:) is really not what we want for that.Pete
Yup, GFS is still forecasting a full-on storm for Sunday with sustained winds in excess of 60kts. ECMWF by contrast forecasts NE 10kts. If GFS is right ...well let's hope it isn't :)

KREW2

Visit site
Just had a text from Radium Rob.
He mentioned if we get a blow at 60mph on Thursday night going into Friday morning there is still going to be quite a heavy residual sea.
Just have to wait and see.

dom

Visit site
Just had a text from Radium Rob. He mentioned if we get a blow at 60mph on Thursday night going into Friday morning there is still going to be quite a heavy residual sea.Just have to wait and see.
Really good point: a 40' Oyster was knocked down in similar conditions returning from this rally a few years ago in a F7ish. The problem on Fri early hours is this: Thu is forecast to blow SW 25+kts. Then there are biggish swells rolling in from the west up to 2.5-3m high. A cold front that shld go through late Thu eve and veer the wind from SW to NW as well as reducing it to c.20kts, thereby setting up new wind waves from the NW. Lob into the equation strong tides over on the French side and according to MeteoFrance one can expect a significant wave height of 4m (http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-marine/cotes/cote-nord-cotentin/0036200). Amidst all these variables the maximum wave height on Thu night is, however, currently predicted to be 7.4m (24ft). Might be worth keeping an eye on MeteoFrance for updates.

Angele

Visit site
Well, nobody has yet cried off, so I am just about to confirm the numbers - 37 as per post #166 (including one "almost veggie" who gets fish).

PhillM

Visit site
Heads up the ferry back on Sunday is fully booked. We are going to need a stable forecast for me to make it as I really do need to be back home for work on Monday :grumpy:

Daedelus

Visit site
Really good point: a 40' Oyster was knocked down in similar conditions returning from this rally a few years ago in a F7ish. The problem on Fri early hours is this: Thu is forecast to blow SW 25+kts. Then there are biggish swells rolling in from the west up to 2.5-3m high. A cold front that shld go through late Thu eve and veer the wind from SW to NW as well as reducing it to c.20kts, thereby setting up new wind waves from the NW. Lob into the equation strong tides over on the French side and according to MeteoFrance one can expect a significant wave height of 4m (http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-marine/cotes/cote-nord-cotentin/0036200). Amidst all these variables the maximum wave height on Thu night is, however, currently predicted to be 7.4m (24ft). Might be worth keeping an eye on MeteoFrance for updates.
Spot on. Crossed some years ago with that sort of weather and sea was horrible. One of the 75ft training ship ketches sheltered in Cherbourg and on our boat Mrs D waited for the loo until we got into the inner harbour. She must have been desperate since her last pee was when we left Gosport

chubby

www.flickr.com
Hmmm, the GFS would have to be way out to give reasonable weather for a return crossing in the same weekend:

XC weather doesn't look god for thurs night into fri: my plan wold be to sleep on the boat that night even if at our mooring but might not be very restful.

A bigger concern is sun with XC weather for Cherbourg giving 50 gusting 64 knots mid morning, not good to even be on the boat in a marina.

is there a time for a contingency plan, rather than just stay at home, the refugees could gather in say Yarmouth or the Folly, would be a shame to be nearby but not meet up?