Cherbourg engineer?

Wakatere

Visit site
Hi,
I'm in Cherbourg with wine, beer, sunshine etc but sometime I'll have to come home. The batteries aren't charging; the belt was showing signs of slipping but now that's tightened up I'm still not seeing a sensible charging voltage. What should I look for? Any recommendations for an engineer/electrician in/near the marina?

<edit>

Many thanks to Nigel (Lady in Bed) who attended in person and made me think things through. After a modest amount of beer and a good night's sleep I instantly found the broken excitation wire and all is hunky-dory (what's the origin of that phrase I wonder?)
</edit>

TIA
Charles

Last edited:

benw

Visit site
We had dealings with an engineer in Cherbourg this summer. There are two immediately behind the harbour office. The one on the LHS spoke some English and were helpful. I think they were Cap Loisirs, big building clearly with Bolvo Penta sign.
We too experienced charging issues and found it to be the +ve lead connection on the alternator. Check all the crimps are good and connections all done up tight.
We crossed Alderney to Brighton and ran out of juice with about 15 miles to go and around 2 hrs before sunrise. Had engine on before the batteries died so no dramas really.
I will be checking such connections more regularly as a result of this experience.