Chemical to remove barnacle without damaging Coppercoat?

skippeer

Visit site
Have Coppercoat on the hull but not on the bow thruster and its tunnel.

Using antifouling for sail drive on the thruster and need to remove some barnacles.
Tried with a spray bottle ”Barnacle remover” but that had negativ impact on the Coppercoat (HCL?).

Any other chemical that removes barnacle without damaging Coppercoat?

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. That is what is recommended by the Coppercoat people for burnishing the surface. Never had any problem with barnacle removal on Coppercoat, although don't recall having more than the odd one or two.

skippeer

Visit site
The few barnacles are on the Jotun sail drive antifouling inside the bow thruster tunnel and blades.

Will try with mechanical removal now as plan B.

Plan A: Chemical decalcification of barnacles might be impossible on Jotun antifouling when hull has Coppercoat

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Just remove the barnacles with a scraper and don't waste your time faffing about with chemicals. I have just done this on my prop, some seacock inlets and below water line deck drain outlets. It takes no time at all to remove. I used a 1" flat scraper and a small screwdriver blade for the narrow spaces. Worked great and was fast, about 1 hour total time to get a good clean.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
The few barnacles are on the Jotun sail drive antifouling inside the bow thruster tunnel and blades.

Will try with mechanical removal now as plan B.

Plan A: Chemical decalcification of barnacles might be impossible on Jotun antifouling when hull has Coppercoat
I assume you are using this smlmarinepaints.co.uk/products/aqualinespray You do get barnacles which are easily removed with a scraper. The paint has a relatively short life and normally needs 3 new coats a year

skippeer

Visit site
Yes thats the one, before have only applied 2 coats, will adopt your recommendation of 3 coats.

Maybe it’s time to look for a more powerful AF spray in Portugal or Spain.

Attachments

• IMG_2092.png
    IMG_2092.png
    92.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think you will find one. The main paint makers all use essentially the same formula. The only alternative is to remove it all, but not the original epoxy coating and paint with Velox.