Cheapest, simplest plotter/AIS product?

laika

Visit site
There's also a standalone version in a box if you want to skip the pi altogether:
https://www.tindie.com/products/astuder/daisy-2-dual-channel-ais-receiver-with-nmea-0183/

I note there are instructions for adding a cheap (<£10) wifi module for making this wifi enabled:
http://wegmatt.com/files/AIS%20over%20WiFi%20with%20the%20DT-06%20module.pdf

There's a couple of cheap phone apps for radar-style display of AIS data (ie without a chart). The Digital Yacht one used to be free but is now a few quid

With shipping ($12 to UK) VAT (a bit less than £14 at current exchange rate) you're looking at about £100 for a complete solution assuming you have a smartphone or tablet. If you have a chartplotter program like iNavX which will display AIS (navioniocs doesnt) even better. Or obviously if you have an actual chartplotter you don't need to much about with wifi.

previously mentioned caveats still apply and it may slip outside the "simplicity" criteria if you have to order an ebay wireless module, plug it in and configure it so maybe not for everyone but not into hardcore diy territory.

(And reminder: I have not personally tried this as I already have an expensive raymarine ais)

Last edited:

pagoda

Visit site
I note there are instructions for adding a cheap (<£10) wifi module for making this wifi enabled:
http://wegmatt.com/files/AIS%20over%20WiFi%20with%20the%20DT-06%20module.pdf

There's a couple of cheap phone apps for radar-style display of AIS data (ie without a chart). The Digital Yacht one used to be free but is now a few quid

With shipping ($12 to UK) VAT (a bit less than £14 at current exchange rate) you're looking at about £100 for a complete solution assuming you have a smartphone or tablet. If you have a chartplotter program like iNavX which will display AIS (navioniocs doesnt) even better. Or obviously if you have an actual chartplotter you don't need to much about with wifi.

previously mentioned caveats still apply and it may slip outside the "simplicity" criteria if you have to order an ebay wireless module, plug it in and configure it so maybe not for everyone but not into hardcore diy territory.

(And reminder: I have not personally tried this as I already have an expensive raymarine ais)

I have experimented with the SDR and phone /tablet AIS option..... it does work, but the steady performance of boat powered plotter and AIS is more attractive. I would not like to need to worry about levels of charge on handheld /wifi linked devices while on the helm in less than good visibility. Plotter connected to battery , AIS as well, sounds much more like comfort to me.
That said, I smile about the city dwellers who worry if they will miss out on the new 5G? On the way from Lerwick to the Clyde, mobile coverage was variable to POOR. Sometimes just audio - zero data in places. Ergo.. do not trust anything needing Internet coverage.

EuanMcKenzie

Visit site
I've got an Iphone 6 running a mapping package + marine traffic app.It connects to dashboard via USB socket so always alive and always a plotter and an AIS reciever when can get network connection

Also have a DSC radio which still works fine connected to my GPS

Struggling to convince myself a proper AIS connection is worthwhile until I do more adventurous sailing offshore.

I guess if I was down south crossing the channel but up here I'm struggling to justify to myself given the other items on the to do list

Whats your driver? are you going far?

Daverw

Visit site
We find that Marine Traffic dos not always show traffic in all areas, we have quite a few black spots and often miss Class B vessels including our own that has full transponder, we disappear regularly from Marine Traffic, suspect that this is partly due to the lower class B power output. Our Chartplotter and Digital Yacht AIS always pick all up. We went missing a few weeks ago for 17 hours of 19 hours mini cruise, friends tracking we a little confused as we appeared to just stop as we left the river Humber and went no where, then appeared as magic at Wells next to sea

Last edited:

Straightman21

Visit site
I bought the AO 26 AIS + GPS module and tried it with Marine Navigator App and Visit My Harbour charts. It worked fine, outputting via WiFi to an iPad. Unfortunately, Marine Navigator only currently allows a short term trial of the AIS interface and it cuts out once it receives 100 signals.
Apparently longer term testing is now being undertaken but with no definite date for the full AIS enabled version.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Well, lots of interesting solutions but none of them really what I was looking for. I want teh AIS for a trip from Scotland to the Canaries. I have used a NASA AIS engine connected to a netbook running OpenCPN, but itl;s a hassle - netbook is not waterproof, batteries run down etc.

I want to connect the NASA AIS engine to a plotter in the cockpit so everything is running on the boat batteries and the info is to hand for the helmsman.

So - what plotter can I easily connect a NASA AIS engine to ?

- W

Heckler

Visit site
Well, lots of interesting solutions but none of them really what I was looking for. I want teh AIS for a trip from Scotland to the Canaries. I have used a NASA AIS engine connected to a netbook running OpenCPN, but itl;s a hassle - netbook is not waterproof, batteries run down etc.

I want to connect the NASA AIS engine to a plotter in the cockpit so everything is running on the boat batteries and the info is to hand for the helmsman.

- W
The Nasa engine, what type? Does it output Ais by wire? If so get a cheap wireless nmea box and squirt it around the boat wirelessly, then any tab will display it. Thats what I do. So my mini ipad with some free ais display stuff gives a good source. Lau has a Samsung with Opencpn that overlays. Do you have Opencpn charts?
Stu

Heckler

Visit site

- W

The issue with the nasa is that of connecting it to a tab, they all need wireless, hence my solution.
S

Norman_E

Visit site
Anyone know anything about these:

http://www.quark-elec.com/products/...MI5JqRs86R1gIVirztCh2nlAenEAAYASAAEgL7GvD_BwE

Available from various sources on ebay.

The QK-AO22 looks very interesting if connected to a PC running Open CPN with a GPS dongle connected. Its a pity it won't work with my NMEA2000 only plotter, and because it is powered by its USB port as well as sending NMEA data over USB I don't see how it could be connected to my older NMEA 0183 plotter either.

pagoda

Visit site
The QK-AO22 looks very interesting if connected to a PC running Open CPN with a GPS dongle connected. Its a pity it won't work with my NMEA2000 only plotter, and because it is powered by its USB port as well as sending NMEA data over USB I don't see how it could be connected to my older NMEA 0183 plotter either.

Many AIS receivers still put out high speed NMEA 0183 (38.4K baud). Some Garmin plotters have NMEA inputs which will cope. Otherwise you either go for one set up for NKNEA2K , or the other option is to get an Actisense NMEA 0183>NMEA 2K converter. Not the cheapest option but it works pretty well. If you already have an AIS receiver then the NMEA converter makes some sense.?

Zing

Visit site
Please rethink and get a transponder. It's an extremely good value for money safety device. Big ships don't often see small yachts on their radar . They get hidden amongst the sea clutter. Completely so in a big sea.

Last edited:

BelleSerene

Visit site
Please rethink and get a transponder. It's a huge value for money safety device. Big ships don't often see small yachts on their radar . They get hidden amongst the sea clutter. Completely so in a big sea.

Big ships can barely change their course for you anyway. And most won't bother to if they can. Your safety is your own responsibility and the point of AIS - and of a lookout - is to know who's around so you avoid them - not to advertise your position and leave it to others to avoid you. Especially not tankers.

Spare the cash from the transponder upgrade. Sorry.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Big ships can barely change their course for you anyway. And most won't bother to if they can.
That's not been my experience. I've noted ships course that are on a collision course on AIS, 90% change course by a couple of degrees, the ones that don't I call on VHF (CH16) saying 'we are on a collision course, what are you intentions'. Most respond telling me that the are changing course, the few that don't respond change course anyway. I've never had to change course myself to avoid them.
Your safety is your own responsibility and the point of AIS - and of a lookout - is to know who's around so you avoid them - not to advertise your position and leave it to others to avoid you. Especially not tankers.
Does this mean that you prefer to confuse everyone and ignore Collision Regs re Stand On Vessel? Surely, communicating is the best way to keep you safe.
Spare the cash from the transponder upgrade
Certainly I agree with that, but having an AIS Transceiver is precisely to advertise your position so others can avoid you if you are the Stand On Vessel.

Last edited:

BelleSerene

Visit site
Does this mean that you prefer to confuse everyone and ignore Collision Regs re Stand On Vessel? Surely, communicating is the best way to keep you safe.
Certainly I agree with that, but having an AIS Transceiver is precisely to advertise your position so others can avoid you if you are the Stand On Vessel.

Obviously not.

What enables led you to call a tanker is an AIS receiver. He’s not going to call you!

prv

Visit site
What enables led you to call a tanker is an AIS receiver. He’s not going to call you!

There’s two different questions here. One is whether you adhere to the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 (that which transposes the Colregs into UK law) and the other is whether you choose to communicate by VHF.

Pete

GHA

Visit site
Big ships can barely change their course for you anyway. And most won't bother to if they can. Your safety is your own responsibility and the point of AIS - and of a lookout - is to know who's around so you avoid them - not to advertise your position and leave it to others to avoid you. Especially not tankers.

Spare the cash from the transponder upgrade. Sorry.

Ships can and most certainly do change course to give a better CPA. Often almost exactly 1Nm cross channel, more midocean.

Also often any manoeuvres on the ships part will be many miles away. With no transponder but on a steel boat with a good echo offshore I'll see ships do a dog leg to give more searoom before they even appear over the horizon.

Afraid your opinion doesn't match up with the real world, the big boys like to know where we are.

BelleSerene

Visit site
There’s two different questions here. One is whether you adhere to the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 (that which transposes the Colregs into UK law) and the other is whether you choose to communicate by VHF.

Pete

That's right Pete. Personally, to the first, I do, and to the second, only occasionally.

I think my most recent was to a tanker approaching my port bow in the Channel shipping lanes. I called him up and asked his intention. After the third hail, the answer came in a Russian or Ukrainian accent: 'I prefer to maintain my course'. Perhaps I should have DSC'd him so at least the coastguard would have heard his response. Ah well.

RobbieW

Visit site
... but having an AIS Transceiver is precisely to advertise your position so others can avoid you if you are the Stand On Vessel.

I find that behaving as if you are a PDV is the reasonable position to take wrt stand on or not, unless you really switch your vessel type on AIS when sailing or motor sailing. I dont have an AIS transciever but I do have a RADAR transponder on my boat, my experience is that my expectations of big ships altering course when I'm stand on is rarely borne out. That comes from Med sailing over the last few years and this years crossings of Biscay and the Channel

Edit: Sorry to pick on your post LiB as my comment applies to several here, and on other threads

Last edited: