Chartering in Greece October 2009

SAWDOC

Visit site
Hi folks
Has anyone chartered in the Ionian in October? We are considering a charter as an anniversary treat next October probably flotilla with 3 youngsters along. If anyone has been that late in the season, I would love some comment.

Tranona

Visit site
Good time to go. Avoid if you can the half term week as the flotillas fill many harbours. However if you find their route beforehand you can avoid them. There is, of course a greater chance of some poor weather, but generally it is a good imitation of what an English summer ought to be.

You will probably get a better price deal from a bare boater that is less dependent on UK trade, as other Europeans tend to stop going after September so there is lots of choice of boats.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not chartered but been there on our own boat up to about 7th October, 2007 and 2008. In 2007 it was extremely hot, up to July levels. I was having to break off working in the yard in the afternoons, just too much. In 2008 the weather was lousy and we hauled out a week earlier than planned. Heavy rain, thunderstorms, strong winds, difficult to decide where to anchor as it was so changeable. The only time I have turned the Eberspacher on in the past three years. Stayed on Kalamos for a week due to the general problems. I'm told that once this all passed over it settled down to pleasant conditions later in the month.

ThereAndBack

Visit site
We were there in October 2008 and, as vyv-cox says (above), the first week was very poor. After that we had wall-to-wall sunshine for the remainder of the month, after several friends had opted for an earlier lift-out and gone home.
Alan

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
Looking back at the weather stats you've a 50% chance of having a 3 or 4 day break of unsettled weather during the first half of October; a 75% chance during the last half. The rest of the time will be really warm water (24 degrees), good sun, around the 28C to 32C mark daytime, 18C to 22c nights.

Unsettled weather? Usually well forecast - plenty of cloud around, winds from unusual directions, some periods of heavy rain, and once in a while all hell lets loose (a passing cold front or a vigourous thunderstorm) when you may meet 40kt winds and all the tables around the quayside get flushed into the sea.

Visit site
Hi,

I went out for 2 weeks commencing 23rd October on Bareboat with Sunsail a couple of years ago.
We did the Sporades (in search of some exhilerating sailing!), and found the weather fab.
The first day we had rain and it was slightly overcast, but I still sailed in my bikini so it wasn't cold.
The rest of the fortnight was lovely and sunny, but take a light jacket/jumper as the evenings can be cooler.

It was less busy, as other posters have said, and I would agree that you should avoid half term, and I always tend to wsork out the flotilla routes beforehand for the 2 main companies so that I can avoid them if I want peace and quiet, or coincide with them if I fancy a party!!

Happy Sailing
Have a fab time

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

robyonfrome

Visit site
We went with Sailing Holidays Flotilla, second week in October few years ago in a 27' Jaguar, very hot sea lovely, first time we had been or even sailed a biggish yacht. First day we where told our destination was from Plataria to Lakka on Paxos about 12 miles. I couldn’t wait to get the boat anchored and get snorkelling, so we motored (no wind) to a lovely bay just around the corner from Plataria while the rest of the flotilla sailed over, fantastic clear water for snorkelling, then had lunch, while we where having lunch we suddenly lost the sun, looked up and there was a massive line of thick black cloud totally dominating the rest of the sky, I looked at Paxos way in the distance and thought o sh.t We immediately packed up lunch and set off, by this time the wind had started to blow quite hard, we must have been in the lea of the mainland for a while and I thought ah this is going to be fine, the sea was fairly choppy but no worse than a rough day in Poole harbour with short sharp waves, I wasnt confidant enough to put the sails up as it was rather windy, so we motored, a few miles out it was totally black at 3 in the afternoon and still about 10 miles to go, the engine was flat out by now, I thought please don’t stop what ever you do, the sea was a lot bigger now about a 6' to 8' wave, but she was handling it amazingly, the waves where hitting our port beam and coming over the side, giving us a warm shower, but it was fine. Half way across, very dark by now and with thunder and lightening all around, lighting up the dark sky with lots of flashes down to the water, all I could think of was don’t touch anything metal, my partner was amazingly calm I thought at this point, sitting there taking the warm spray. I must have appeared very confident but I had never been in a sea that rough before and never so far from land, but it was great bobbing up and down, dodging the lightening and getting soaking warm wet. Lakka came slowly, but it did come and what a fantastic place it was. It turned into a bit of a storm after that and we had to stay there a couple of days because the sea was just too big for our little Jag. It only rained (in the day) just once on the last day, we had lots & lots of hot sun, but there where biggish seas, would I go again in October. Definitely just in a bigger boat. Only thing is I’m totally spoilt now because it’s the only holiday I want to do, its amazing and I would defiantly recommend sailing holidays, very good service, we are looking at our third sailing holiday now.

crewman

Visit site
We went the last two weeks in October a couple of years ago. Weather was shorts and tee shirts, but not too hot, sea was warm enough for comfortable swimming. Light pullover and trousers fine for evenings. Not a lot of wind and only one day of rain. Bit like a good British summer with a warmer sea. Ideal conditions.

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi folks
Has anyone chartered in the Ionian in October? We are considering a charter as an anniversary treat next October probably flotilla with 3 youngsters along. If anyone has been that late in the season, I would love some comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chartered with Sunsail on 5th October 08 in the Ionian and the weather was superb. No wind in the morning F4-6 in the afternoons before calming again in the evenings.

Not too hot and water was still warm during the day.

Mind you it does get chilly in the evenings so wear something to keep the chill off and get an extra blanket to keep you warm at night.

chris505

Visit site
We went with Sailing Holidays this Oct for 1 week for our 40th anv. It was fantastic. weather great, could swim and the area was not crowded so had no problem mooring. I think we could have chosen the right week as everyone told us they had rain for the two week prev. Go for it.

Nico

Visit site
I chartered from Sunsail in the second half of October some years ago. In the Ionian. My experience was a bit like that of Robonfrome. After a couple of days lovely weather we were stormbound for three days while it blew from the south with lots of rain. The Greek islands look a bit different in these conditions and you go stir crazy huddled in the same bar by the third day.
Then the wind dropped and we had several days of light wind and sunshine. Heading up to the Lefkas canal one afternoon we were hit by a lightning storm and accompanying squall. I've never been so scared in my life. The wind went round 180 degs., the sea went white with wind and hail and the sky went dark. Luckily we had dropped the sails and had the engine on ready for the canal. We turned round and ran to open water, hoping it cleared before we got near any of the other islands. It did blow over in a short while, but the other boat that had been with us lost their electrics.
I'd try Turkey! The season lasts longer.

nigelhudson

calculuscontracts.co.uk
I spent the last week of October 2001 on a friend's yacht based in Levkas. We went all round the Inland Sea but there was very little wind but it was very pleasant otherwise. That is until the last day - we had 55kts of wind and torrential rain. When we left to return home all the mountain tops were covered in snow.

I guess the answer to your question is you may be lucky but be prepared for anything!