Changing to motor boating

chuzzlewit

Visit site
after 40 years with sails, I bought a Merry Fisher 805 which suits us well. It is however pretty wet and bumpy when pushing to windward being semi displacement. I'm thinking of something maybe a bit longer which would cope better with waves. On shafts or possibly outboard(s)? Capable of 20 knots. Up to £160000. Any suggestions?

ashtead

Visit site
There was an interesting account of a delivery of a Trader on the forum with some video footage so you might Study a few other u tube vids to gain some inspiration. It really depends I suspect on other considerations as well though e.g. Accommodation,age type off drives etc you prefer and age you might accept.

Richard.C

Visit site
after 40 years with sails, I bought a Merry Fisher 805 which suits us well. It is however pretty wet and bumpy when pushing to windward being semi displacement. I'm thinking of something maybe a bit longer which would cope better with waves. On shafts or possibly outboard(s)? Capable of 20 knots. Up to £160000. Any suggestions?

You should probably consider what age of boat you are looking for as there is an awful lot of options up to £160K.

Also, how much is "a bit longer"?

Last edited:

chuzzlewit

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've seen other boats passing smoothly while I flounder and bounce into the waves. I'm not keen on floundering and bouncing.

Richard.C

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've seen other boats passing smoothly while I flounder and bounce into the waves. I'm not keen on floundering and bouncing.

A bit more info might help people give suggestions:

What sea conditions do you want to travel in more comfortably? Force 4 with 1m swell etc. some idea would help. Also at what speed do you hope to travel in these conditions?

ashtead

Visit site
I feel the OP might like something with stabilisers ? Don't know if he considers that Trader to be floundering and bouncing though ? Looked rather uncomfortable to me but so can the Wightlink in the wrong weather even in the Solent .

superheat6k

Visit site
Welcome to the dark side. I gave up the sails in 2007 and still don't miss all the faffing about with ropes and rags.

£160k would buy you a superb condition later Corvette 320. I would also look at Nimbus and Aquastar.

Presumably you are used to cruising at 5-6 knots so coming to the dark side 15 knot cruise might be perfectly acceptable, and many mini trawlers will offer semi-displacement with moderate fuel consumption, or frugal fuel burn at say 8-10 knots. Their weight and girth also makes them less tender than your MF.

The MF was a good initial choice for a Mobo as they are immensely popular so it should sell on easily.

simonfraser

Visit site
Cruising at hull speed in a mobo, you’re going in the right direction, makes a big difference.
Sitting in the the heat the moment, give cooling it down some thought, some boats are easier to shade / ventilate.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I'm in the middle of something similar.

As well as those already put forward might I suggest an Elling. Get a good if early E3 for that budget. Example:
https://www.ellingbrokerage.com/en/aanbod/156281/elling-e3/
That particular one is an inland waterways 75HP plodder but shows what the accommodation looks like.

You'd want one with 300-450HP:
https://www.ellingbrokerage.com/en/aanbod/161646/elling-e3-ultimate/
Bit over budget. But you get the idea.

Accommodation, build quality, secure ride in poor weather, CE A rated, long range...

Last edited: