Changing name

lustyd

Visit site
Hi all, I plan to change the name of my boat and want to check if there's anything aditional I need to do.
It didn't have a VHF licence when I bought it, so that was no problem and is in the new name.
My Bill of Sale is in the old name, and hence proof of ownership. Do I need to fill in another form (It's not yet registered), cross out the name and add in the new name, or do nothing and explain to anyone that asks? The BOS is the MCA one so looks very nice and official so it would be a shame not to do the name change in a similar way. The MCA name change form seems to definitely be for part 1 registration though.
Cheers
Dave

Visit site
It is essential that you have a formal renaming ceremony with all sorts of archaic rituals. Full details have been discussed on the forum many times before.

lustyd

Visit site
Any sensible answers about the paperwork? I searched the forum for info but found nothing useful.

VicS

Visit site
If its not registered just paint over the old name and paint on the new one.

The pagan rituals mentioned above are essential to avoid bad luck.

Tranona

Visit site
As Vic says - there is no "paperwork". You might take a photo and record other details such as sail number and hull number (if any) just to show that "new boat" is the same as "old boat" shown on Bill of Sale. Don't think anybody would be bothered.

Ritual name changing ceremony much more interesting as usually involves liquor and dancing girls!

Tranona

Visit site
Pity about the lack of informative answers - I'd have been interested.

The rituals do, however, sound right up my street - do they involve copious amounts of alchohol?
Must be a delay in the ether from the north!

See my answer to both points above (and don't forget the dancing girls)

puddock

Me: Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Boat: Lossiemouth
Visit site
Try as I might, I can find no requirement to have 7 virgins dancing naked around the mast. Does anyone know where I could find reference to such a requirement? (a substantial reward -or an invite to the ceremony) could be given to any devious soul who could make such a webpage, so that I could show it to my better half as "proof" that it is indeed a requirement of Maritime Law.
:D

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Just for continuity it's worth phoning the SSR people to register the change. When I bought my boat I had to have Part 1 registration to satisfy the mortgage company. I was having some difficulty fulfilling all the requirements until I spoke to the SSR authorities, who were able to put me in touch with the original owner. Fortunately he still had purchase documents, which helped me considerably.

When I first launched my renamed boat we bought a bottle of champagne, tipped an egg-cup full over the bow and drank the rest. That seems to have sorted it: 15 years without incident.

VicS

Visit site
Try as I might, I can find no requirement to have 7 virgins dancing naked around the mast. Does anyone know where I could find reference to such a requirement?
It one of the exclusive benefits of being a member of these forums.
Its in the forum rules. Surely you remember reading it when you joined?