Changing gear box oil

Refueler

Visit site
The advantage of running in gear for a short period - is to stir up the oil and any sediments etc that may be in bottom of box.

I do not do this every year - in fact I don't do it !! But this year I am considering giving my engines / gearboxes a birthday ..... suck out oil with the Pela - throw in light machine oil as a flush - give a short run just to flush round - suck out and refill with new correct oil.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The advantage of running in gear for a short period - is to stir up the oil and any sediments etc that may be in bottom of box.

I do not do this every year - in fact I don't do it !! But this year I am considering giving my engines / gearboxes a birthday ..... suck out oil with the Pela - throw in light machine oil as a flush - give a short run just to flush round - suck out and refill with new correct oil.
That might be OK with your transmissions, but it would cause some problems with others.

Boater Sam

Visit site
Leave any sludge where it is, stuck to the bottom of the casing. Stirring it up is the last thing to do.
Running a box with the incorrect thin oil or solvents is a bad idea and will damage some boxes severely.
It is easier to pump oil out with a vacuum pump if it is warm but if dropping it from a drain plug it is not necessary.
It is better to drop than suck, because any loose sediment will come out with the oil and you can clean the drain plug which is often a magnet to pick up swarf.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Leave any sludge where it is, stuck to the bottom of the casing. Stirring it up is the last thing to do.
Running a box with the incorrect thin oil or solvents is a bad idea and will damage some boxes severely.
It is easier to pump oil out with a vacuum pump if it is warm but if dropping it from a drain plug it is not necessary.
It is better to drop than suck, because any loose sediment will come out with the oil and you can clean the drain plug which is often a magnet to pick up swarf.
I don't think Yanmars have a plug on the bottom.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
By the way- what is wrong with Castrol solvent flushing oil? or is that not to be used in gear boxes
:rolleyes:
Maybe it flushes well but doesn’t lube enough to protect the gears if you try giving the boat a bit of a run to flush the old oil? Maybe just a quick tickover burst of fwd then reverse to stir the flush round rather than a bit of a run?
Refueler knows about oils so I may be wrong…

Daydream believer

Visit site
Maybe it flushes well but doesn’t lube enough to protect the gears if you try giving the boat a bit of a run to flush the old oil? Maybe just a quick light burst of fwd then rev to stir the flush round rather than a bit of a run?
Having googled it--Seems Flushing oil is made for gearboxes as well as engines & is recommended for a number of reasons

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Marine gearboxes use a variety of lubricants. Using any old flushing oil, or flushing with an incorrect oil will cause damage, especially if you engine is run in gear whilst flushing.

If your gearbox needs flushing you should change the lubricant more often.

Refueler

Visit site
Just pointing out the potential for causing expensive damage by using the wrong oils in a transmission.

Are you old enough to remember the days of Flushing Oils used in Cars ... Motorcycles .... static engines ... etc. ??

The Flushing oil was only in for a very short run - just enough to pass it round the system to flush ... drained and then correct oil put in.

Are you aware of a few car models changed from Gear Oil to Hydraulic Oil in SAME gearboxes ... due to lack of oil feeds to one or more layshaft ?

I certainly would not suggest running the engine or G/box for any length of time .. its a FLUSH .. you know stick it in .. start - run - stop - drain.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Just pointing out the potential for causing expensive damage by using the wrong oils in a transmission.
I recently found an article that said that the Caterpillar D2 manual says to drain transmission and final drives, fill with kerosene, drive around for 10 minutes without any load, drain and fill with the correct oil.
I would not suggest that but I do recall using flushing oil in our dumpers, 60 years ago. But not exactly precision gearboxs & engines

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Are you old enough to remember the days of Flushing Oils used in Cars ... Motorcycles .... static engines ... etc. ??

The Flushing oil was only in for a very short run - just enough to pass it round the system to flush ... drained and then correct oil put in.

Are you aware of a few car models changed from Gear Oil to Hydraulic Oil in SAME gearboxes ... due to lack of oil feeds to one or more layshaft ?

I certainly would not suggest running the engine or G/box for any length of time .. its a FLUSH .. you know stick it in .. start - run - stop - drain.
What people did with cars and motorcycles 50 years ago has no relevance to todays modern engines, transmissions or lubricants. It most assuredly has no relevance to some of todays modern marine transmissions.

Putting light machine oil in some marine transmissions will cause problems, no matter how short a time it's in there.

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I recently found an article that said that the Caterpillar D2 manual says to drain transmission and final drives, fill with kerosene, drive around for 10 minutes without any load, drain and fill with the correct oil.
I would not suggest that but I do recall using flushing oil in our dumpers, 60 years ago. But not exactly precision gearboxs & engines
The manual for the engine on my RIB says to fill the fuel tank with pre-mixed 2-stroke, does that mean i should do the same with the main diesel engines ?