Catching an intruder on your boat

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I remember being anchored in Antigua and reading in Doyle's Guide (I think it was) a warning of a local character, so expert in swimming out to anchored boats and climbing silently on board. He was reputed as being able to remove wallets from the cabins of sleeping crews (even, it was claimed, from under the pillow of one) without waking them.

He couldn't have been so very good because the entry concluded not to worry for the moment as the gentleman was residing at the government's expense and it would inform when he would be back in circulation.

Conachair

Visit site
I remember being anchored in Antigua and reading in Doyle's Guide (I think it was) a warning of a local character, so expert in swimming out to anchored boats and climbing silently on board. He was reputed as being able to remove wallets from the cabins of sleeping crews (even, it was claimed, from under the pillow of one) without waking them.

When I got done there was a plastic bag with a candle in it in the cockpit. They even managed to launch the dinghy off the deck without waking me.

mcframe

Visit site
On your boat you have a right in law to protect your family, your property and yourself. You no longer have to wait to be puched before you do anything and defence can be throwing the first punch.

Alas, you've got to let the scrote on board before you can keep them there:

MSA 95 §105: Master’s power of arrest.
The master of any United Kingdom ship may cause any person on board the ship to be put under restraint if and for so long as it appears to him necessary or expedient in the interest of safety or for the preservation of good order or discipline on board the ship.

It would be a shame if the wind turned half way to Parkhurst and you had to drop 'em off on Bramble (LW springs)....

Thistle

Visit site
Charter boat in marina at Kinsale, Eire. Woken by sounds of intruder who - thankfully - scarpered when he heard me lumbering out of my berth. Had a look on the pontoons and couldn't see him - again thankfully because I don't know what I would have done if we had come face-to-face. Though I'm a big lad I wouldn't relish trying to mix it with someone who had probably much more experience of such things than I.

It's something I've thought about before and I think, if push came to shove and escape was impossible, I would go in as hard as possible aiming to hurt him before he hurt me. I would much rather avoid the situation if possible and a VERY loud shout would seem a good idea.

DownWest

Visit site
I was e-mailed the other day with a recommendation to use wasp spray as a disabler. Tempory blindness at long range, circ 30ft. Much better than pepper spray and legal in UK.
Used them on wasps and hornets, never occured that self defence was an option. One can hit a dinner plate at 20ft.
DW

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
Last edited:

nauticalnomad

Visit site
I think a simple pressure pad or PIR in the cockpit to a high Db siren will be the answer. Probably be me that sets it off on the way to a midnight p.. over the stern!!!!!!

So there we were having been asleep for a while in the dead of night when there was a banging on deck and the sounds of someone trying to get the companion hatch open. My wife being the lighter sleeper gave me a good kick and started to shout. I jumped up, put some clothes on and went outside grabbing the first thing to hand which happened to be a winch handle. I walked onto the pontoon and found a youth hidden behind a large pole. He was holding a cheap umbrella we had on our deck as it was raining. Without thinking my left hand introduced itself to his neck and I couldn’t understand why he was looking so intently at the winch handle that was held up with my other hand close to his face. He obviously did not understand the finer points of English even though I said them quiet loudly but took my point and I understood pleadings for his continued existence when I heard them. In the end he took my point and I have never seen someone run so fast.
When I was talking about the incident the following day I was told that on occasions drunken students from the University who visit the town will look for an insecure boat to sleep in. Apparently they never take anything or cause damage but just sleep and leave. It was rare but did happen.
Incidentally we are in France where marinas are treated as a place where locals can see boats and so far here I have not found one marina that is secured in any way.
What would you have done and do you always lock the hatch when aboard?
Have you ever caught anyone on your boat?

I catch you on my boat, i keep you! Well more than likely go fishing together......

nedmin

Visit site
Go to the Canaries quite often tried Viber on my i-phone for free calls and texts but pretty useless.Understand "Whats App" is better,anyone had experience? Thanks.

lufc71

Visit site
Seems to me you dealt with the incident in a mature and balanced way. Unlike some forumites who would (or so they say) like nothing more than an excuse to beat some poor wretch to death, you used no more than reasonable force. I doubt you'll see him again and he's had a lesson he won't forget.

A bit like this fella then:-

AN ACTUAL CRAIG'S LIST PERSONALS AD

To the Guy Who Tried to Mug Me in Downtown Savannah night before last.
Date: 2010-09-27, 1:43 a.m. E.S.T.
I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.
First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually **** in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket.. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason.. my girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afghanistan .. She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it?!
I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with **** in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].
After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful!
I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]
I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ..... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.
Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.
The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).
;In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life.. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!
Thoughtfully yours, Semper Fi,
Alex

Robin

Visit site

I was the guy wearing the black Burberry jacket that you demanded that I hand over, shortly after you pulled the knife on me and my girlfriend, threatening our lives. You also asked for my girlfriend's purse and earrings. I can only hope that you somehow come across this rather important message.
First, I'd like to apologize for your embarrassment; I didn't expect you to actually **** in your pants when I drew my pistol after you took my jacket.. The evening was not that cold, and I was wearing the jacket for a reason.. my girlfriend was happy that I just returned safely from my 2nd tour as a Combat Marine in Afghanistan .. She had just bought me that Kimber Custom Model 1911 .45 ACP pistol for my birthday, and we had picked up a shoulder holster for it that very evening. Obviously you agree that it is a very intimidating weapon when pointed at your head ... isn't it?!
I know it probably wasn't fun walking back to wherever you'd come from with **** in your pants. I'm sure it was even worse walking bare-footed since I made you leave your shoes, cell phone, and wallet with me. [That prevented you from calling or running to your buddies to come help mug us again].
After I called your mother or "Momma" as you had her listed in your cell, I explained the entire episode of what you'd done. Then I went and filled up my gas tank as well as those of four other people in the gas station, -- on your credit card. The guy with the big motor home took 153 gallons and was extremely grateful!
I gave your shoes to a homeless guy outside Vinnie Van Go Go's, along with all the cash in your wallet. [That made his day!]
I then threw your wallet into the big pink "pimp mobile" that was parked at the curb ..... after I broke the windshield and side window and keyed the entire driver's side of the car.
Earlier, I managed to get in two threatening phone calls to the DA's office and one to the FBI, while mentioning President Obama as my possible target.
The FBI guy seemed really intense and we had a nice long chat (I guess while he traced your number etc.).
;In a way, perhaps I should apologize for not killing you ... but I feel this type of retribution is a far more appropriate punishment for your threatened crime. I wish you well as you try to sort through some of these rather immediate pressing issues, and can only hope that you have the opportunity to reflect upon, and perhaps reconsider, the career path you've chosen to pursue in life.. Remember, next time you might not be so lucky. Have a good day!
Alex

Love it, RESPECT, as they say in some circles I'm told.

jordanbasset

Visit site

Alex

Great story if true, unfortunately it is false - http://www.snopes.com/crime/justice/mugger.asp

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
Seems to me you dealt with the incident in a mature and balanced way. Unlike some forumites who would (or so they say) like nothing more than an excuse to beat some poor wretch to death, you used no more than reasonable force. I doubt you'll see him again and he's had a lesson he won't forget.

Poor wretch, he was only going to break in, steal from you, possibly injure you or your partner, maybe even kill you both.....but hey lets think about this, he was probably delivered by forcepts, thus causing some kind of resentment to nice people in general, or his mum didn't love him, ooh or his dad didn't cuddle him when he was little, he needs help, love and attention, all the things you and I have had, he needs money given to him to make him feel wanted, he needs to be given a house, a home, and you and I need to pay for it. If we don't he might feel neglected and turn to crime, god forbid.....we didn't realise it was all our fault, we should never have worked hard for what we got, we should never have given our family a good upbringing, we should have just given it all away to the poor wretch who tried to break in, that would have stopped him.....not!

Once off the boat, you have no legal right to kick the living daylights out of him, you have got to do it on the boat, can't then be premeditated, best if he gets in, then you are really protecting your home, property and family and give him a really good kickin.... cripple the bast***d, but that would mean again paying for him for the rest of his life on the sick! you can't win really.... the little scrotes have it everyway in their favour, but you can enjoy trying.

Poignard

Visit site
Poor wretch, he was only going to break in, steal from you, possibly injure you or your partner, maybe even kill you both.....but hey lets think about this, he was probably delivered by forcepts, thus causing some kind of resentment to nice people in general, or his mum didn't love him, ooh or his dad didn't cuddle him when he was little, he needs help, love and attention, all the things you and I have had, he needs money given to him to make him feel wanted, he needs to be given a house, a home, and you and I need to pay for it. If we don't he might feel neglected and turn to crime, god forbid.....we didn't realise it was all our fault, we should never have worked hard for what we got, we should never have given our family a good upbringing, we should have just given it all away to the poor wretch who tried to break in, that would have stopped him.....not!

Once off the boat, you have no legal right to kick the living daylights out of him, you have got to do it on the boat, can't then be premeditated, best if he gets in, then you are really protecting your home, property and family and give him a really good kickin.... cripple the bast***d, but that would mean again paying for him for the rest of his life on the sick! you can't win really.... the little scrotes have it everyway in their favour, but you can enjoy trying.

The kind of low-life losers who nick what they can find and run away if challenged don't worry me at all, but people suffering from paranoia, people who see the world as a dangerous place and live in constant fear of being attacked, and fantasise about inflicting violent retribution, now they really do scare me. :eek: