Catching a crab.

capnsensible

Visit site
Took our friend's Sigma 33 out for a spin this morning.....they also own the cat we recently delivered from Gib. So whole new ballgame. Light winds sun, yadda yadda.

But point is, one fender had been dangling in the water for a while and had attracted marine growth (various). Including a very small crab. After it had done a short tour around the cockpit, we named him Clawdius the second ( long story) and returned him to Neptune's realm.

Hope he grows big and strong.

Sea Change

Visit site
We collected many goose barnacles on our Atlantic crossing. For some reason we couldn't quite bring ourselves to scrape off one of them, and we called him Barney. He stayed with us for several months but eventually succumbed to the 33⁰ water in Grenada.

blush2

Visit site
Don't know about crabs, but on our year out we developed the "squid rating ". On the longer trips, Algarve to Canaries then Canaries to the Azores, we had a number of small squid 🐙 ending up in the cockpit. The number became the squid rating.

However we missed one on the way to the Azores. A couple of days after arriving in Santa Maria we noticed a number of small flies in one of the winch pockets. Investigation showed that we had missed one squid, which was by then rather rotten and smelly 😜

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Don't know about crabs, but on our year out we developed the "squid rating ". On the longer trips, Algarve to Canaries then Canaries to the Azores, we had a number of small squid 🐙 ending up in the cockpit. The number became the squid rating.

However we missed one on the way to the Azores. A couple of days after arriving in Santa Maria we noticed a number of small flies in one of the winch pockets. Investigation showed that we had missed one squid, which was by then rather rotten and smelly 😜
Maybe a ship's cat would have a pur-pose...

Sea Change

Visit site

We had an escapee flying fish lodged in between the dinghy mast and the toe rail. Fortunately it seemed to become desiccated rather than rotten.

The best fish ever caught, a sizeable wahoo, was the product of using a dead flying fish attached to the lure as bait. So they have a purpose!

capnsensible

Visit site
Please do tell this story..... :)
Well perhaps it's not that long. A couple of weeks ago we were motoring south along the coast of Morocco. The owners Starlink connection was in begging mode for a wad of money. So we sacked it and moved close to the coast to get a mobile signal for a weather forecast and let our support crew....Mrs S .....know where we were.
Going inshore on that coast always has a bit of a risk with inshore fishing boats and the big vessel anchorage off El Jadida. However all was good until starboard engine stalled with a big woven nylon bag got wrapped around prop and outdrive. Took an hour or so of ingenuity to free it off and when inspecting it in the cockpit, a small cab emerged. This was Cawdius the first. Freed to continue doing crab stuff in the mighty deep.

Re small squid, have had plenty on board sailing the length of the Med. Usually arrive during dark and dawn patrol is needed to scrape them up before they stick to the deck.

Same for flying fish in the Atlantic, normally small ones. But they do grow big. One of my crew was sat on the midships head on Bav 46 with the portlight open and yup, a flying fish joined him. For some reason he was the only one who didn't find it funny.

The last time I went into Mindelo was after dark, very windy, same trip. We got a huge shoal all around us and dozens landed in the cockpit. They can hurt a bit when the hit you.....

Fortunately the whales, dolphins and turtles you see aren't that attracted to a visit aboard!

And I gotta say the large rays that leap out of the water around the Galapagos are awesome.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes but whales, dolphins,manta rays, flying fish and sharks do jump out of the water obtain.

Its true that its rare that a boat gets in the way.

great-white-shark-jumping-out-of-water-1024x768.jpg

article-2650849-1E859F6200000578-524_634x384.jpg

We viewed spotted eagle rays flying in Australia

images

14K478

Visit site
Took our friend's Sigma 33 out for a spin this morning.....they also own the cat we recently delivered from Gib. So whole new ballgame. Light winds sun, yadda yadda.

But point is, one fender had been dangling in the water for a while and had attracted marine growth (various). Including a very small crab. After it had done a short tour around the cockpit, we named him Clawdius the second ( long story) and returned him to Neptune's realm.

Hope he grows big and strong.
Over fifty years ago I was singlehanding my 18ft ballasted dayboat down the Wallet in quite bouncy conditions and on arrival at West Mersea I picked a crab about the size of a half crown out of the bilges. It must have come aboard over the lee coaming in a squall off Clacton, along with a surprising amount of sand. I was quite proud of it,, but I put it back.

Last edited:

billskip

Visit site
I had a swordfish join me in the Agean..and years ago a giant leatherback turtle off Lyme Regis...the turtle sightings were mentioned in the local paper and several days later a dead one washed up on the beach west of Bridport.