carved numbers on bulkhead

adamstjohn

Visit site
Hi all, My boat, and old hummingbird yacht has the numbers O.N. 386576 R.T 5 94/100 carved on a bulkhead, what , if anything, do these numbers mean please?
Thanks in advance

Poignard

Visit site
Official Number on the Register of British Ships
Registered Tonnage,: notionally a measure of the cargo carrying capacity of the vessel based on the volume of the spaces that could carry cargo

Last edited:

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
At some time in her life, your boat has been on the Pt 1 Register of Shipping. This was probably from new as it's a requirement of getting a marine mortgage. It might still be registered but either way her official number (ON) was 386576 and her Registered Tonnage (a calculated volume of the boat) was 5 94/100ths.

adamstjohn

Visit site
At some time in her life, your boat has been on the Pt 1 Register of Shipping. This was probably from new as it's a requirement of getting a marine mortgage. It might still be registered but either way her official number (ON) was 386576 and her Registered Tonnage (a calculated volume of the boat) was 5 94/100ths.
Thank you very much for the reply, very useful, appreciate it.

jwilson

Visit site
Don't confuse registered tonnage with displacement (boat weight). It's a ancient and slightly weird way of calculating internal volume - ie how many tun size barrels the vessel could be assumed to be able carry - for the purpose long ago of calculating harbour dues. Tun barrels are very big.

Halo

Visit site
Somewhere there will be an enormous registration document with all sorts of information like distance to first bulkhead, height of engine room etc.
Perhaps ask vendor or see if the registry can give you a copy!

Poignard

Visit site
As a matter of interest, if a vessel goes 'off register' and its owner wishes to re-register her, must he have a new tonnage survey carried out, and can he keep the original Official Number?

(I know he may not be able to use her original name if someone else has grabbed it)

VicS

Visit site
When I registered a boat with a lapsed Pt 1 registration on the SSR, I got a new number.

Which reminds me, I need to buy some numbers to stick on Jazzcat.
The SSR number is not the same as the Official number on part 1 register