Car batteries

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
My old Landrover needs a new battery. It's the one that was on it when I bought it 8 years ago and has been failing for some time needing regular charging, but now it has failed totally. That is an 80Ah battery.

I started looking for a replacement based on 80Ah. the cheapest I found was about £160, that's way more than I expected, some were over £200. the things I noticed is they were all "stop start" and all AGM whatever that means.

It's no good looking up a 49 year old vehicle to find out what battery should be fitted.

I then tried the 60Ah battery I had in the garage. That came off my Subaru a year ago and I had not got round to taking it for disposal. That too is end of life and needs regular charging, but once charged it cranks the Landy okay and starts okay.

So I then searched for 60Ah batteries and Halfords appear to have a no frills 60Ah battery for £60 Can anyone tell me a good reason not to buy that one?

Bobc

Visit site
It's not just the Ah, but the CCA that's important. not enough CCA and it won't crank the engine over.

Do a search on ebay for the battery type.

lynallbel

Visit site
Slap a transit battery on it, 069 or 096 I think is the number, my s2 one lasted best part of 9 years, I have just shoe horned a 2md hand 019 under the passenger seat as a replacement.
If iyours is still located under the bonnet makes sure the terminalsl do not foul the bonnet stay when it is stowed.
Petrol engine any old thing will do, diesel will need a proper big as you can fit job.
Halfords with a trade card are sensible prices, maybe Halfords witha tape measure will give you some ideas.

penberth3

Visit site
My old Landrover needs a new battery. It's the one that was on it when I bought it 8 years ago and has been failing for some time needing regular charging, but now it has failed totally. That is an 80Ah battery.

........I then tried the 60Ah battery I had in the garage. That came off my Subaru a year ago and I had not got round to taking it for disposal. That too is end of life and needs regular charging, but once charged it cranks the Landy okay and starts okay.

If it's any help, I have a manual on my shelf that says 58 or 60 Ah for Petrol, 95Ah for Diesel.

ISTR larger batteries were original fit for cold climates or vehicles with extra electrical equipment.

Kelpie

Visit site
Plug reg number in to Halfords website, then stick the resulting code in to eBay, voila you'll pay about half as much for your battery.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
The problem I am finding is the usual one of delivery to the Highlands. I have contacted 2 suppliers so far and neither have replied.

Halfords don't recognise my old Landy reg number, but i can find a battery on a website special. Put it into my basket and try and check out, and the ONLY delivery option it offers is one of the we come and fit it services, which is not available in our area, and NO option to get it delivered or check availability in the Inverness Halfords.

Spyro

Visit site
Take the old one to your nearest scrappy. They will find one that will match and charge you about £15-£20

Wing Mark

Visit site
The problem I am finding is the usual one of delivery to the Highlands. I have contacted 2 suppliers so far and neither have replied.

Halfords don't recognise my old Landy reg number, but i can find a battery on a website special. Put it into my basket and try and check out, and the ONLY delivery option it offers is one of the we come and fit it services, which is not available in our area, and NO option to get it delivered or check availability in the Inverness Halfords.
There is probably some business or other within an hours drive who will get a delivery from a motor factors every day or two?
Local garage?
Agri engineers?

Or maybe there's some sort of local trader who goes to civilisation fairly often who could pick one up from a motor factors?

Ironic, the last car battery I bought, on ebay, it came from Scotland to Hampshire.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I'm surprised that the telephone has not arrived in Inverness. We had it in Fort William 50 years ago.

Stemar

Visit site
If you haven't got it sorted yet, find the required CCA for the engine (I'd guess 700 or so) and search Tayna or Battery Magastore for one the right size and terminal arrangement. My first look, without actually knowing what you need came up with one for under £50, though I'd be inclined to pay a bit more.

penberth3

Visit site
If you haven't got it sorted yet, find the required CCA for the engine (I'd guess 700 or so) and search Tayna or Battery Magastore for one the right size and terminal arrangement. My first look, without actually knowing what you need came up with one for under £50, though I'd be inclined to pay a bit more.

Or, ask a friendly neighbouring Land Rover owner to lift the bonnet and check the the number of the battery.

Fire99

Visit site
Hopefully this is helpful but AGM is Absorbent Glass Matt so instead of having acid sloshing around in cells as we used to, it has effectively glass fibre matting absorbed in the acid to do the same job. They are resistant to spilling and are claimed to offer better discharging / recharging stability. They are maintenance free so you can't get your distilled water out and top them up like batteries of old but all in all they work well..

The two important things for your Landy are dimensions so the new one will fit in the hole! And CCA. Cold Cranking Amps (as others have mentioned). How much power the battery can shove from cold into your starter. If you post what engine your Landy has I'm sure I or someone can find the CCA for that engine. I am the enemy as I run a Jeep but did the same process for mine and the car starts great even through cold winters, and being diesel it needs a lot of shove in winter.
Hope that's helpful..