Caption Competition

Alfie168

Visit site
CopyofCCF13052011_00001.jpg

Tim

fireball

Visit site
Give me a mo - we'll wipe the grin off that jet skiers face ...

then

that'll teach him to come blasting around the boat causing loads of wake ...

Alfie168

Visit site
Incidentally those guns are not toys. They were new weapons made for Endeavour, replicas of the originals on Cooks ship and were fully tested and ranged with round shot. We only fired squashed newspaper, but I was told they had test fired them at cliffs on remote uninhabited islands in the Pacific, but we were not to tell anybody:D:D You get a better bang with real shot I am told.

The Jetskiers appeared about five miles off Liverpool, and the Captain did say to use round shot as nobody would miss them, but I think just maybe he was joking...possibly;)

Tim

prv

Visit site
So if he's actually preparing to fire (a newspaper "blank", as we can see) how come he's doing it by leaning out over the rail rather than running the gun inboard properly? I've just spotted the rammer leaning against the carriage - surely a bit difficult to use that with the gun run out?

Pete

Alfie168

Visit site
So if he's actually preparing to fire (a newspaper "blank", as we can see) how come he's doing it by leaning out over the rail rather than running the gun inboard properly? I've just spotted the rammer leaning against the carriage - surely a bit difficult to use that with the gun run out?

Pete

You'd need a trained gun crew to run the guns properly, which we didn't have. Danny (Shipwright and Armourer) did it all on his own and yes he did fire them regularly, and there is little or no recoil if you only have small amounts of powder and newspaper, so only the normal retaining ropes on the guns were quite adequate. We stood off Whitehaven at about 5 am the previous morning and gave them everything we had..which set off pretty well every car and shop alarm in the town. It was a sort of calling card at most places we visited, and most people loved it.....a few complained...of course:D

Tim

Alfie168

Visit site
I hate to be picky but he can't actually fire it as the train tackles have not been rigged and by the time he's got that done the bl**dy jet skier will have escaped to buzz another day.

Not necessary. See my previous answer. Sadly the Jetskier was not the intended 'target'. Danny was preparing for when we entered Liverpool about an hour or so later. He loaded up early as the entry into the Albert Dock on a tide just beginning to ebb is more of a crash landing done from up river. Shortly after the photo I was on the bowsprit bringing in sail as we entered the Mersey, hoping to hell I didn't fall in.

Tim