Captain Calamitys

pvb

Visit site
Both are from the media.

I don't consider the media capable of "talking things over" with anybody. What I meant was a crusty old seafarer who would understand the whole picture, not just the sound bites.

Ah, so when you wrote "NOBODY has gone and talked things over with the two boys on the boat", you were excluding the media.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Both are from the media.

I don't consider the media capable of "talking things over" with anybody. What I meant was a crusty old seafarer who would understand the whole picture, not just the sound bites.

tarring all journalists with the same brush then

I have met a scottish engineer before - they are all the same

always getting it completely wrong

Resolution

Visit site
What does surprise me is that no-one from this forum has volunteered to join the boat and assist them round to Dartmouth.:confused:

Visit site
Ok, the thing I don't understand is why they came over this direction to buy a boat? …there's another thread on this forum about all the cheap boats in America?

dylanwinter

the story is, in some measure, rather entertaining

However, one of blokes has gone off to Ireland leaving a recent widdower living on a boat - it is his only home apparently - against a wall in a very windy West Country port without any power to run a fan heater.

I do a fair amount of winter sailing - I reckon that the inside of that boat must be getting pretty damp by now - and after having lost some of his bedding to a fire....

not a very comfortable situation to be in

he is, apparently running out of money.

suddenly not so funny

D

bigwow

Visit site
the story is, in some measure, rather entertaining

However, one of blokes has gone off to Ireland leaving a recent widdower living on a boat - it is his only home apparently - against a wall in a very windy West Country port without any power to run a fan heater.

I do a fair amount of winter sailing - I reckon that the inside of that boat must be getting pretty damp by now - and after having lost some of his bedding to a fire....

not a very comfortable situation to be in

he is, apparently running out of money.

suddenly not so funny

D

Did the fire brigade take away his flowerpot when they put out his candle?

dylanwinter

Did the fire brigade take away his flowerpot when they put out his candle?

it is the only form of heating when I am on the hook up a small Cornish creek.

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

I confess that it is not quite as good as an eberspacher - but then it is not quite as expensive nor quite as difficult to maintain.

NormanS

Visit site
it is the only form of heating when I am on the hook up a small Cornish creek.

Don't knock it until you have tried it.

I confess that it is not quite as good as an eberspacher - but then it is not quite as expensive nor quite as difficult to maintain.

How do you maintain a candle?

Seajet

Visit site
Having tried a boat with an Eberspacher, my money's on the candle lasting longer, being more effective, and above all quiet !

I agree with Dylan in that I don't like to think of the bloke alone, cold and running low on funds, then again a lot of people are in that situation and I bet a park bench or shop doorway is a worse place to be than even a damp boat.

That being said I'd happily bung the chap a couple of quid, as long as he didn't pee it away on atlantic charts.

This situation needs sorting, with a better end plan...

dylanwinter

Having tried a boat with an Eberspacher, my money's on the candle lasting longer, being more effective, and above all quiet !

I agree with Dylan in that I don't like to think of the bloke alone, cold and running low on funds, then again a lot of people are in that situation and I bet a park bench or shop doorway is a worse place to be than even a damp boat.

That being said I'd happily bung the chap a couple of quid, as long as he didn't pee it away on atlantic charts.

This situation needs sorting, with a better end plan...

I think hypothermia rather than drowning is the main risk he faces now.