Captain Calamitys

Triassic

Visit site
Nor is it a tragedy if the 'inevitable' happens.

I would say it's a tragedy, nobody wants to see the loss of life, even if it is caused by foolhardiness on the part of the subject. You also need to consider how such an event might impact on yachting. Some might consider it pretty tragic if as a result legislation came into effect that did allow authorities to interfere with the current freedom we enjoy to make such decisions for ourselves. Our history shows we have been pretty good at self regulating in these circumstances, hopefully that will prevail in this example and these individuals will see sense.

pvb

Visit site
...hopefully that will prevail in this example and these individuals will see sense.

Somehow I think not. If you check out their video interviews with US news media, you'll see a disturbingly arrogant approach (including one "we won the war" comment and the much-quoted "there are worse places to die than at sea").

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Bearing in mind the stretch of water they intend to cross, the time of year, the prevailing and current weather patterns, the prevailing current and these guys' perceived level of "competence", might it not be better all-round for some cargo ship owner to lift Nora onto a ship's deck and transport it across the pond - and perhaps charge the "sailors" nominal passage?

I can't see any other way that they are going to get that lovely craft and themselves safely across to America in the next few weeks/months without all sorts of call-outs and/or tragedies - and huge expense.

Just thinking.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Somehow I think not. If you check out their video interviews with US news media, you'll see a disturbingly arrogant approach (including one "we won the war" comment and the much-quoted "there are worse places to die than at sea").

both accurate statements in my opinion

let them have fun

shame they are killing an old boat - but maybe the boat would rather go that way as well rather than be left to rot in a south coast yard.

They are a most entertaining pair of old buffers

goodonem

D

STATUE

Visit site
We can have a good laugh and a excellent discussion - BUT .

In the US they have the inalienable right to carry a gun.

We Islanders have the inalienable right to go to sea in anything that floats - as long as we do not create a risk to life emergency of our own making.

Once the 'elf & safety' gets a real grip on this, we will have enforced upon us rules similar to the French - you can only sail a certain distance dependent upon the size of your boat !

stranded

Visit site
I would say it's a tragedy, nobody wants to see the loss of life, even if it is caused by foolhardiness on the part of the subject. You also need to consider how such an event might impact on yachting. Some might consider it pretty tragic if as a result legislation came into effect that did allow authorities to interfere with the current freedom we enjoy to make such decisions for ourselves. Our history shows we have been pretty good at self regulating in these circumstances, hopefully that will prevail in this example and these individuals will see sense.

Still not a tragedy. Death isn't a tragedy, just a punctuation mark. If a sailor sets off into known danger, or a climber, or a motorcyclist etc. etc. etc... Then that is just what happens from time - the risk is part of what makes it an adventure.

Agree though it would be a shame if it led to regulation. That's not going to happen though.

jordanbasset

Visit site

both accurate statements in my opinion

D

They're older than I thought then:D

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
If you said that about Africans or Asians you'd be buried in a mountain of furious racist-hate accusations and probably banned from the forum for your crime.

What makes you think you can say this about people from"over the pond" and not show yourself as a vile racist bigot who should be banned? Just how is it different? Please do explain, I'm curious.
Quite simply what tidal range do they normally sail in?

How many times have they tied up against a quay wall where they will dry out at low tide?

What do they expect from the CG, is they way they usually interact with the CG different to the way we do over here, e.g. asking for directions to a mooring might be quite normal.

There are lots of things that they see as very different to what a UK sailor would see as part of the normal way that we do things.

While RKJ was rather scathing about them on Radio 4 the other day and the media are having a field day NOBODY has gone and talked things over with the two boys on the boat; every story has at least two sides.

Last edited:

Seajet

Visit site
Bearing in mind the stretch of water they intend to cross, the time of year, the prevailing and current weather patterns, the prevailing current and these guys' perceived level of "competence", might it not be better all-round for some cargo ship owner to lift Nora onto a ship's deck and transport it across the pond - and perhaps charge the "sailors" nominal passage?

I can't see any other way that they are going to get that lovely craft and themselves safely across to America in the next few weeks/months without all sorts of call-outs and/or tragedies - and huge expense.

Just thinking.

Agreed it would be easier to lift Nora aboard in dock at this end rather than a way into the Atlantic, but that would require convincing not only these two but also a shipping company.

Maybe they could be shot with tranquiliser darts and kept drugged while Nora is sold off, then another boat in American waters bought and they come round on it; " No, you must have dreamed the North Sea / British / Atlantic bits ! "

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
well I like the blokes

I think they are two pretty tough old geezers having fun

not that competent perhaps

but.....

they seem to be extracting every drop of enjoyment from their adventure

better than the hours we squander yakking at each other on here while other sailors are out there doing stuff

shame they are wrecking a once perfectly good boat.....

and I would rather see them beating up an old Bav or Westerly

but then Jill comes from a family of serial wooden boat wreckers

let he who is without sin..... etc

D

Seajet

Visit site
I can easily see that side to it Dylan, but when you've seen one ' Last of The Summer Wine ' with old blokes going down a hill in a bath, you've seen them all; and they're not ' out there doing it ', the RNLI and their many assorted sister organisations are !

JumbleDuck

Visit site
What makes you think you can say this about people from"over the pond" and not show yourself as a vile racist bigot who should be banned? Just how is it different? Please do explain, I'm curious.

Maybe because "American" isn't a race. Maybe because there is nothing wrong in speculating about different sailing conditions, regulatory frameworks and S&R polices. Maybe because he isn't a hysterical sock puppet for someone on shore leave. Who can tell?

Triassic

Visit site
I think it's fairly obvious from most of what is written on this thread that the majority of us support what these two are trying to do, go sailing, live their dreams, be responsible for this destiny etc etc..... and I don't think many of us would want to see that changed.

However I don't see many on here who agree with the way they are going about it. Personal freedom should be just that, it shouldn't be conditional on others bailing you out at every obstacle. It's their apparent disregard for others that grates with me and I suspect many others.

Horace

N/A
Visit site

Horace

N/A
Visit site
If anyone's interested, the sale particulars of Nora, with lots of photos, are still online at http://www.woodenships.co.uk/sailing-yachts/colin-archer-gaff-cutter/

The boat was initially priced at €65K, then dropped to €45K, so I guess the Americans would have paid rather less than that. The previous owners must be horror-struck by what's happening to her.

Thanks for the link.
If I'd been selling that boat I'd have included much more photo's.There's a lot I'd still like to see.