Captain Calamitys

DFL1010

Visit site
Went to see the boat yesterday in Hayle.

When I first got there, they were entertaining a camera crew, so I took a few pics and went to get a cuppa. They certainly weren't anti-press, so I don't know if they're trying to defend their position, or just lapping up their 15mins.

Came back and the journos had gone, and there was no sign of our intrepid duo so I had a better look at the boat. It's in overall good condition (except for the past few months' use), and must have been bloody lovely before departure (by their hand or the previous owners is up for debate). All the brightwork was in good nick, and the sails looked pretty new.

However, it was clear that the 'small' fire was anything but. There were a couple of bin bags on the quay full of charred gear (including a duvet), and by the mast was quite a bit of interior similarly fire-damaged. I suspect they were quite lucky not to lose the boat in that incident.

All in all, it's a bit of a shame really. It's a very nice boat (if you like that sort of thing), and it was obviously a very good one.

My pics are here, if you're interested.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-OwuWHHBtkEcWRvTXpGTndlUlk&usp=drive_web

NormanS

Visit site
A pity that untidyness isn't a crime. :rolleyes: A beautiful boat like that deserves to be loved, cherished, and looked after.

viago

Visit site
it seems that the general consensus here is that it would be a good thing if the sate stepped in to stop these jokers from carrying on in their pursuit of happiness.

interestingly, there is another boaty forum i occasionally read in which the general consensus is that these two champions of freedom and adventure should be supported in their efforts by the state.

make of that what you will. i guess that being repressed leads one to want to repress others.

pvb

Visit site

Thanks for the pics. I'm in two minds about these guys. On the one hand they're not costing us taxpayers anything, so who cares? On the other hand, they're attracting a lot of adverse publicity about yachting competency, which ultimately will be a godsend to the jobsworths who want our pastime to be regulated. In many ways, the best solution might be to encourage them to go away as soon as possible, although I fear this will result in another rescue (and one which probably would cost the taxpayer), but it might be a rescue which doesn't involve the boat, in which case the problem's solved.

davidej

Visit site
Doesn't the MCA have the power to detain a vessel if it or it's crew are deemed unsafe? (They certainly do in the case of commercial vessels,, from the MCA website there's several foreign ships currently detained)

I'm not normally an advocate of such drastic methods but these two idiots are going to kill themselves, never mind the trouble they are causing

I seem to remember a catamaran on a beach in Kent which the MCA 'arrested' because they alleged it was not seaworthy.

Are the Captains calamity going to continue in face of all these gales?

Visit site
I could not be more pleased that our boating tradition has left us with laws that allow any fool in any old leaky bathtub to set out not matter what their track record.

The few odd cases like this musn't encourage laws that could lead to thousands of us being affected by somebody having the right to inspect our boats, or us, for being "safe" according to the rules of the day, e.g. you must have an engine, a compass, a chartplotter, an approved towing rope, survival suits for maximum crew members. I had to go through all that with Croatian authorities (with many silly examples) and it's just an excuse for an industry.

So let the RNLI keep practicing, let them go and kill themselves if that's what floats their boat, but lets not encourage anybody to have the right to take propellors or "vital equipment" off my boat just because I am a complete numpty.

Very well said. Let us keep some freedom to do as we wish and take responsibility for ourselves, no matter what the outcome maybe.

Tranona

Visit site
Very well said. Let us keep some freedom to do as we wish and take responsibility for ourselves, no matter what the outcome maybe.

Except that these jokers are not taking responsibility for themselves, but relying on others to voluntarily save them from the consequences of their actions. With freedom comes responsibility.

But for intervention of others the outcome of their actions would likely have been very different.

Visit site
Except that these jokers are not taking responsibility for themselves, but relying on others to voluntarily save them from the consequences of their actions. With freedom comes responsibility.

But for intervention of others the outcome of their actions would likely have been very different.

Fair comment, but do you really want more legislation to control your so called freedom ?

Tranona

Visit site
Fair comment, but do you really want more legislation to control your so called freedom ?

No. But the reason we have the current freedom is because most people are responsible. So don't see why that freedom should be jeopardised by irresponsible people.

MCA do have the legal right to detain their boat - they have done it recently with others, even to the point of condemning a boat. However, quite rightly it is not a course of action they take easily, primarily because of a lack of prescriptive legislation such as you find in other countries.

Galling to see these jokers in the news "representing" sailing when there are many others who quietly go about such adventures based on an understanding of what is involved and making good preparations. An example lower down this page of two lads preparing to cross the Pacific in a CO26.

Visit site
No. But the reason we have the current freedom is because most people are responsible. So don't see why that freedom should be jeopardised by irresponsible people.

MCA do have the legal right to detain their boat - they have done it recently with others, even to the point of condemning a boat. However, quite rightly it is not a course of action they take easily, primarily because of a lack of prescriptive legislation such as you find in other countries.

Galling to see these jokers in the news "representing" sailing when there are many others who quietly go about such adventures based on an understanding of what is involved and making good preparations. An example lower down this page of two lads preparing to cross the Pacific in a CO26.

May be the MCA will stop them or the Hayle bar they have to cross will do that for them. Possibly some wreckage to clear up if it succeeds. I was surprised they got in to Hayle.

Seajet

Visit site

When I first got there, they were entertaining a camera crew, so I took a few pics and went to get a cuppa. They certainly weren't anti-press, so I don't know if they're trying to defend their position, or just lapping up their 15mins.

Came back and the journos had gone, and there was no sign of our intrepid duo so I had a better look at the boat. It's in overall good condition (except for the past few months' use), and must have been bloody lovely before departure (by their hand or the previous owners is up for debate). All the brightwork was in good nick, and the sails looked pretty new.

However, it was clear that the 'small' fire was anything but. There were a couple of bin bags on the quay full of charred gear (including a duvet), and by the mast was quite a bit of interior similarly fire-damaged. I suspect they were quite lucky not to lose the boat in that incident.

All in all, it's a bit of a shame really. It's a very nice boat (if you like that sort of thing), and it was obviously a very good one.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-OwuWHHBtkEcWRvTXpGTndlUlk&usp=drive_web

DFL1010,

thanks for that; very interesting to see reality rather than wonder ' how much are the TV guys slanting this and what do they know anyway '.

Not looking too hopeful for a happy ending to this one is it....

Horace

N/A
Visit site

Thanks for them,I'd love to see what it's like down below.I bet it has an atmosphere to die for.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
There have always been those souls who see life differently than the rest of us.

I wonder what their mental state is. Most would have given up by now so you have to hand it to them for trying.

I went to my favorite coffee stall this week and was immediately greeted with " here comes Captain Calamity".

If anything, the publicity generated may even make the rest of us look good even though
they don't know the half of it :)

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
Or as Benjamin Franklin I think it was put it.Stop people making their own mistakes & you end up with a Nation of idiots.

Oh, the irony: perhaps you'd remind us of Mr Franklin's nationality, and that of the sailors in question. (Not having a dig: it just seemed to beg the observation.)

I find myself agreeing completely with Tranona, and equally with RupertW. Which shows, if nothing else, that few things are black and white. Overall, I lean ardently to the view that before you even consider proposing the banning of anything, you should consider that, sure as eggs are eggs, someone, somewhere, wants to ban whatever you hold dear.

If anyone concludes from this that I've just got back from the pub...you're bang-on. Hope I haven't given too much comfort to anyone who wants to ban those, too ;)