Captain Calamitys

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
RKJ was shown declaring them to be selfish and irresponsible on this evening's news. They have had 2 more rescues since I started this thread. They dismiss any suggestion that rescuing them costs money or risks lives. They also dismiss the suggestion that their knowledge of seamanship was in any way lacking. They even managed to smash some gear while being interviewed.

Just seen the same news items with the Captains and then RKJ. It's laughable really. I don't think they've got a clue about how to sail a boat.

With the boat falling to bits off-camera it's pure comedy gold. :)

Richard

Poignard

Visit site
[pedant]
I believe the correct term may actually be Captains Calamity
[/pedant]
Yes - you are probably right. I did hesitate over that (as John Morris the Moderator can confirm, since he can see all our editing attempts!) but eventually I made the wrong choice. I should have remembered the example of 'Captains Courageous'.

Anyway, no harm in a bit of pedantry. Just so long as it doesn't become a habit! :D

ps how about Captains Calamitous?

macd

Visit site
What makes you think you can say this about people from"over the pond" and not show yourself as a vile racist bigot who should be banned?

Well, if it were someone on t'other side saying that sort of thing about someone on this, they'd be favourites for the republican nomination. And I don't think there would have been any "perhaps" involved.

Malabar

Visit site
Well they have got THIS far! Perhaps the next deep-watery bit won't be a problem. After all, if the keep going west then they are bound to hit something
Actually, I say good luck to them - as long as they don't endanger other souls..

I might be missing something, but I can see no sign of navigation lights inside the light screens on the shrouds. If at night I hit some idiot who failed to display proper navigation lights I would be more than a little cross.

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
I might be missing something, but I can see no sign of navigation lights inside the light screens on the shrouds. If at night I hit some idiot who failed to display proper navigation lights I would be more than a little cross.

I stand corrected, and apologise for my somewhat flippant, unresearched remark.
In my defence M'lud, I had not been aware of the litany of problems they had endured, or caused, so far.

That said, my final paragraph stands - with emphasis on the first phrase and deep concern for "other souls" who probably will be endangered.

They may have had a long sailing life, but judging by the state of their boat and the number of incidents since July, I think the chances of their "long lives" continuing are few and far between.

Binman

Visit site
I did hear in the report, that a boat inspection is going to be carried out and that they will be refused to sail, if the craft isn't up to scratch. Anyone looking to buy a well used boat, with a lot of history?

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
I did hear in the report, that a boat inspection is going to be carried out and that they will be refused to sail, if the craft isn't up to scratch. Anyone looking to buy a well used boat, with a lot of history?

An inspection sounds a sensible idea.

But I wonder, in this day and age of human "rights" etc., what is the legislation and power to enforce any decision to "refuse to allow to sail".
I suppose impounding of the boat would be a start, but they are living on it so may just slip away in the night.

Can crew/owners be restrained or physically prevented from boarding?
Can a boat be chained to the harbour wall?
etc etc etc.

It sounds to me that those two irriots will ignore any Legal Order whatever may be imposed.

Appledore

Visit site
If these incidents were taking place off the US coasts, I'm pretty sure the USCG would slap a prohibition order on the vessel and owners (can't really refer to them as Captains can we?). Also, chatting to a sailing friend last night he told me he had heard that they intend to return to the US by going 'straight over', against the prevailing winds and currents, and they expected to take about 8 days for the trip. I have a feeling it would be a 'forever' trip, and they'd never be seen again.

Just waiting for the local news to see if there are any updates.

Toutvabien

Visit site
One of the "Captains" was interviewed on Radio 4 earlier in the week and was questioned about his plans, he asserted that having bought the boat in July he had expected that they would have sailed it back to their home port in the US by August. This seems to be wrong on so many levels that I suspect that they may still have a little to learn about ocean passage making, despite their previous extensive experience. I suspect they are learning as they go though.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
RKJ was shown declaring them to be selfish and irresponsible on this evening's news. They have had 2 more rescues since I started this thread. They dismiss any suggestion that rescuing them costs money or risks lives.

While they do not seem to be the world's most competent yachtsmen, I think that argument is a red herring. Lifeboat crews choose to help people; those who get assistance are not responsible for that choice. The RNLI seems commendably keen not to criticise people who get into trouble, unlike mountain rescue organisations whose services very often seem to come with a sanctimonious homily.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If you said that about Africans or Asians you'd be buried in a mountain of furious racist-hate accusations and probably banned from the forum for your crime.

What makes you think you can say this about people from"over the pond" and not show yourself as a vile racist bigot who should be banned? Just how is it different? Please do explain, I'm curious.

A curiously familiar posting style. Shore leave getting a bit boring, was it?