Captain Calamitys

TheEcho

Visit site
That can't be right. Many cats have mastered the first stage - the disapproving stare when looking at errant machinery - but they are physiologically incapable of sucking their teeth in the right manner when giving the damning verdict.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't think what we seeing here is uncommon , thought out the summer months we encounter these types of cartoons characters especially out in the poplar charter areas the only really differences is they are recused and help out of trouble by other kind sailors , lucky for most there are experience people about to stop a small problem get out of hand and because there nearly always someone on hand to help out these situation don't come to the attentions of the press , so we don't read about them .
The high light of most cruising sailor day is watching people coming in at the end of the day or trying to leaving in the morning , taken their neighbour with them , while there still asleep in bed .
Near everyone have story's of being approached by yacht that's run of of fuel or lost they way , not sure which island is what or asking much chain should they set .
We had a case where a family asked if they could moor along side to us , you may thing what wrong with that , well if we wasn't anchored at the time nothing ,
So what the answer ?.
I not sure there is one .

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
Or as Benjamin Franklin I think it was put it.Stop people making their own mistakes & you end up with a Nation of idiots.

One of my favourite sayings, which often makes me stop and think BEFORE I do something is:-
"If one learns from one's mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education".

Theses guys must be not far off becoming Professors!

laika

Visit site
Under what legislation, as a matter of interest?

TheEcho in post #34 beat me to posting a link to the story on the dutch tri "Chica" that was memorably and controversially detained by a Prohibition Notice in kent 3 years ago (and discussed here):
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?361771-Beached-trimaran-can-you-believe-what-happened
Controversially because there seemed to be no question of the skipper's competence or ability to repair his boat and it all went a bit Kafka.

A little investigation suggests these notices are part of the 1995 Merchant Shipping Act although information on the MCA web site seems to focus on applicability to commercial and fishing vessels contravening regulations.

This link has a little more info:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/howwework/framework/mou/mcamou.pdf

...but "merchant vessels" seem to be mentioned again. Do pleasure craft count as "merchant vessels" in this context?

I too would be interested in clarification from someone who knows this area.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
ISTR that in the discussions on the detained catamaran someone ascertained that for the purposes of the law(s) in question leisure vessels are deemed to be merchant vessels

My problem with these two clowns is that they are clearly and indisputably incompetent and a danger to themselves and those who repeatedly have to come to their aid

On the one hand, I would hate to see more regulation brought in restricting our freedom but on the other hand it seems utterly irresponsible to let them sail away when they clearly haven't got a clue about the passage ahead of them

And that looks far too nice a classic old boat to sit by and see her wrecked

It is a no win situation for the authorities too I reckon. They'll be damned if they act and damned if they don't (assuming the almost inevitable tragedy if the pair set sail across the Atlantic as they intend). I suspect the relevant authorities (Coastguard etc.) are trying very hard to talk them out of it and hoping to avoid having to take drastic action!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
TheEcho in post #34 beat me to posting a link to the story on the dutch tri "Chica" that was memorably and controversially detained by a Prohibition Notice in kent 3 years ago ...

I remember that case, which is why I asked. As I recall, there was no clear consensus that the coastguard acted legally then. Didn't they remove bits from the boat to prevent it leaving?

doug748

Visit site
"And that looks far too nice a classic old boat to sit by and see her wrecked"

Yes, I feel sorry for the boat. 70 year old farts are a glut on the market and can take their own chances but those machines are getting scarce.

Do we have any members from/in Denmark? I would love to hear how this story is being reported there - and maybe the back story of the sale of this, obviously, well loved boat.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
Interesting to note that some responders seem to have a very different apprach to issues with yachtsmen and mistakes.. whilst there are some extremely helpful people, there are several for whom whatever the debate - they take the accusatory angle.

"Ooops I did this" : "Should have asked for advice in advance, you're an idiot for not asking".
"Oooh, what should I do about this to avoid having an issue?" : "Should not be sailing, go away and ride a bicycle instead".

Small wonder then that some folk avoid asking questions and then have issues, faced with the attitude that "if you have a boat, you should have been born onboard and know everything. Otherwise you're just a numpty who's wasting my time".

Rant over.

Spice Cat

Visit site
TheEcho in post #34 beat me to posting a link to the story on the dutch tri "Chica" that was memorably and controversially detained by a Prohibition Notice in kent 3 years ago (and discussed here):
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?361771-Beached-trimaran-can-you-believe-what-happened
Controversially because there seemed to be no question of the skipper's competence or ability to repair his boat and it all went a bit Kafka.

A little investigation suggests these notices are part of the 1995 Merchant Shipping Act although information on the MCA web site seems to focus on applicability to commercial and fishing vessels contravening regulations.

This link has a little more info:
http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/howwework/framework/mou/mcamou.pdf

...but "merchant vessels" seem to be mentioned again. Do pleasure craft count as "merchant vessels" in this context?

I too would be interested in clarification from someone who knows this area.

Posting by Laika refers.
Chica was served with a 'Notice of the detention of a ship as dangerously unsafe'. Under section 9 of the Merchant Shipping regs 1995. Form MSF 1700 / REV 0208.
The directions were- The yacht to remain beached at Joss Bay until repairs to the satisfaction of an MCA surveyor are completed to allow her to safely proceed to sea.
It took about 6 hrs to make temporary repairs to the satisfaction of the surveyor and the tri was then towed back to the Medway for permanent repairs to be done.

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
Interesting to note that some responders seem to have a very different apprach to issues with yachtsmen and mistakes.. whilst there are some extremely helpful people, there are several for whom whatever the debate - they take the accusatory angle.

"Ooops I did this" : "Should have asked for advice in advance, you're an idiot for not asking".
"Oooh, what should I do about this to avoid having an issue?" : "Should not be sailing, go away and ride a bicycle instead".

Small wonder then that some folk avoid asking questions and then have issues, faced with the attitude that "if you have a boat, you should have been born onboard and know everything. Otherwise you're just a numpty who's wasting my time".

Rant over.

it was a good one though

I agree with almost everything you say

D

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Nobody has to come to their aid.

Erm, surely that is not true? Either morally or legally

I'm pretty sure there's a legal obligation under international maritime law on all mariners and the relevant authorities to go to the assistance of vessels in distress unless it endangers them themselves

And morally I do not see how we could, as a nation and a society, morally stand by and watch the plonkers drown however tempting it might be

Spice Cat

Visit site
It is ironic that the Dutch skipper and Chica ran foul of the authorities when he had overcome the elements and his difficulties to reach what he thought was a safe place. Whereas if he had called out the rescue services at the first signs of problems and before there was damage, they may well have towed him to a safe harbour.
Alternatively there is always the danger that they might rescue him and leave the vessel to founder.