Canvas or Plastic for Aft Cockpit and Flybridge??

G

I have to replace my Aft cockpit and Flybridge covers this season. I have had plastic covers for all my boating life (nearly 14 years) and have had as much as eight years from one set of covers! However one or two people have said to me canvas is very good, also at the boat show when talking to sales people on this subject they also say canvas is best! now that may be because it usually costs a bit more, but what do YOU think? all comments gratefully recieved particularly from people who have had experience of both! I am looking for comments on the general wear and tear and the ability to keep them clean in this climate of ours which throws so much filthy weather at them!

Regards,

Barry Winnett

G

Plastics can, and do, crack unless well treated for uv resistance, providing we get more than two days of sun this year! Personally, I would have covers made from "Double Duck" canvas as used for hoods on many a classic car. This weathers well, and is fairly resistant to fading. It will also take dye fairly well. You can use a product such as "renovo" to make it look like new at the start of each season. Hope this is of some use. Ian

G

I have had both on my boats over the years. Without a doubt the canvas is a better bet. It is easier to clean and stow and lasts longer. The canvas type material is called something differnt by hood manufacturers (acrylic?) and is available in different weights/thicknesses. The heavier fabric is better but stiffer.

Colin

G

I've had both and canvas is much smarter and easier to stow. It dos'nt seem to stain like PVC dose.

Attachments

• 3604.jpg
    3604.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3605.jpg
    3605.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
G

I've had both and canvas is the way to go. The Sunbrella product is excellent, is easy to clean and store and withstands even Florida sun for years.

G

Many Thanks to all! Very helpful comments, I think I will go with the canvas! Now all I need to decide is it Double Duck or Sunbrella!!! lol.

Barry

G

Canvas breathes but plastic does not. In other words you get better ventilation with canvas.

G

How do Arthur! I've just returned from California & Nevada where we saw a little rain at the beginning of the trip. (The dry lake beds in the desert weren't dry) but all the bad weather promptly moved & then stayed over.......Florida!

From what the weather channel was showing, Florida was taking quite a drubbing - torrential rain, high winds & even the odd tornado to spice things up!

I was quite worried about you. I also note that this is the latest posting I could find from you, so hope your laptop isn't waterlogged.

I spent the last 3 days of the trip staying in a hotel with a balcony overlooking Santa Barbara marina. What a lifestyle - worrying about 5 feet of tide at springs, petrol at $1.55 a gallon - dear me, I think I'd die of happiness if forced to live out there!

Drop me an email or post a reply to let me know the weather didn't do any serious damage.

Regards,

Steve