Canary Island living

Amadis

Visit site
En-route to the Caribbean I am spending 3 months in the Canaries. Planning to get work (bar / cafe), work on the boat and do some diving and surfing. I will not be doing the ARC.

Any ideas on the best island to stop at longer term? Yacht facilities and available work a priority. Trying to avoid over-touristy areas though.
Any comments on good, resonable priced marinas etc would be appriciated.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I have always liked the town of Playa Blanca, in the South of Lanzarotte, where I used to go for some winter sun. Though it's somewhat touristy (therefore you should be able to get some bar work), it's all on a human scale, and far less dire than the likes of Puerto del Carmen and Costa Teguise, further up the coast.

Last time I went there, in 1997, there was a small boatyard, with haul out facilities and some pontoons but, having done a quick Google, it appears they have recently built a new marina (have a look <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.graysworld.co.uk/marinaphotos.htm>here</A>). This may, of course, have priced it out of your reach................

The other point to note is the ferry that goes between Playa Blanca and Fuerteventura, which is docked with, ahem, characteristic Spanish brio and which may cause wash and other nuisances.

<hr width=100% size=1>Je suis Marxiste - tendance Groucho

snowleopard

Visit site
we had a hitch-hiking crew with us when we arrived in the canaries. she managed to find work very quickly despite speaking no spanish - as a shop assistant in a boutique in puerto mogan. she met others in the same situation, they men usually doing bar/restaurant work.

outside tourist areas you might find something if you are fluent in spanish and prepared for low pay.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Doug_Stormforce

www.stormforce.biz
Have not visited all the Islands, but my favourite spot has to be Mogan on the S Coast of Gran Caneria. Plenty bars etc to pick up work and Puerto Rico is only a few miles away.

<hr width=100% size=1>For RYA Courses, click
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stormforce.biz> Stormforce Coaching </A>