Canaries Charter Work

Paul_on_a_Nic

Visit site
I am contemplating sailing to the Canaries to charter my 34' Nicholson. Day trips or whale watching perhaps. Or maybe tie up with a sailing school, or do mile building etc. Does anyone have any useful input re what is likely to work there, who to contact and what obstacles I might face. I really, really want to go sailing in the sun!

colvic

Visit site
Your biggest obstacle will be the locals; if it is popular, if it makes money and if it is enjoyable then the locals have got it sussed and you won't get a look in. EU regs etc. count for nothing. Know one chap who had to sell his two boats within two years and lost over £100k and the other just wanted to establish a chandelry.

Personally, and not wishing you knock you down as I also dream but have settled for living on board and pottering, I think you are about fifteen years too late...but I so wish for you to prove me wrong.

Phil

snowleopard

Visit site
i agree with colvic. there are very few places you can make a living with your boat, ec rules or not. marinas everywhere only allow 'registered' contractors to do any sort of business from their sites and guess who gets frozen out?

Buck

Visit site
If you can afford to, sail there and have a look, if its naff sail back again, if nothing else it should be a good little adventure.

Buck

Relax, life is just a game.

tcm

Visit site
wd have to be day charter round the bay on a smal boat. Best would be to contact the hotels directly - that';s where people will be most of the time. You need to be contactable by mobile phone from the hotels. Get some holiday brochures to see the greatest concentration of brit hotels - and talk to reps there.

jimboaw

Visit site
I believe the Canaries are not part of the EEC so working or conducting a business is subject to all sorts of restrictions geared to protecting the natives. I would be VERY careful not to step on any toes. You could even lose your boat and end up behind bars.

G

Paul, having lived and worked in the Canaries for quite a few years my advice would be to be very careful. One company I worked for running two large day charter catamarans required nearly three years to obtain a permit to operate and entailed re-flagging the boats to Spanish registration and employing a Spanish skipper for each. Moreover the company does not get a choice of Skipper, the Capitaneria in Las Palmas has what is called the "role". This is a list of currently unemployed Spanish captains looking for a berth. The owner/company must take a skipper from this role (I believe you are allowed three choices from the top of the list). It is very unlikely that they would have any sailboat experience and language could also be a problem. There are always people willing to chance it on a small quiet "private charter" basis but I have seen too many caught including arrest at sea. My last involvement in the Canaries was in 1999 so possibly things have changed but I seriously doubt it. Please contact me directly if I can be of further help. Iain

Dominic

Visit site
The situation is slightly complicated because the Canaries do not follow the same laws as the rest of Spain and Europe.

Contact Clubsail Cruising School in the Canaries - they will be able to explain it all to you-