Canal Du Midi

maltaboy

Visit site
I am considering using the canal Du Midi in early June, and I am concerned that the depth may not be enough for my boat which has a draft of 1.5m. I have looked on the net, only to find that the information varies with reported depths of between 1.3m and 1.8m. Does anyone have first hand knowledge for this year so far or know who to contact to find out, also if it is possible for me to transit , are there plenty of places to stop overnight.

FAITIRA

Visit site
I assume you plan, W to E? Last time I went through, Eto W, it was with a Rival 32, exited April, I had spent the winter going through, 3 months. I struggled at the entrance to one or two locks on the Midi, had to back up and take a run to get over the hump before the gate. Heaps of places to stop, it may be a busy with charter boats when you are planning to pass. In the winter, we passed 2 boats, wonderful experience. Bill.

boatmike

Visit site
The "normal" depth is 1.6 metres but it varies with weather and season. This time of year it should not be a problem but for detailed up to the minute info check with VNF office in Carcassonne 04 68 25 01 50. There are various places to buy guides. You will certainly get one at any stop early on en route.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site
Raid library for books by Jefferson, Davison & McNight. There's an annual French publication, and the Cruising Association guide has basic facts eg:

"In times of drought the Canal du Midi can run short of water and in some years the summit level has been closed for this reason. Even when it is open the depth may be reduced to less than the official figure of 1.5m."

Then follow useful telephone numbers to check depths etcetera.

PM me for more.

hilaryjane

Visit site
we did the canal du midi in april a few years ago with 5ft draught. We did bump the bottom a few times on tree roots but no problem if you keep in the middle. A Norwegian guy came the other way from Agde with 6ft but he was pushing it.