Can you recommend a coastal/estuary run-around for 2 families...

Trevelyan

Visit site
I live up a tidal creek and am looking for an estuary/coastal run-around to take my family (wife and two young children) and ideally a 'guest' family out with us too. By "run-around" I mean I'd like to be direct landing on beaches etc.

I bought a Warrior 165 this year (the appeal was the cuddy) with a 60HP, but have found it hopelessly underpowered (in fairness I knew it probably would be, but the engine was spotless).

The 165 is only rated for up to 80hp and to be honest is a bit of a tub to drive, a Warrior 175 with 140hp would be the logical step in that line, but these are funny money (£25k at the moment) and so I am thinking I need to broaden my horizons.

I'd be grateful for suggestions please - open boats, large speedboats, bowriders,.... etc! I'm guessing in the 17-19ft bracket and at least 100hp? Probably prefer an outboard. A rib would be an obvious easy choice, but I can't help but feel there must be something out there more comfortable and with more wind protection?

The boat will be left on a tidal mooring (mud) and we frequently get muddy wellies to and fro, so no carpets, ideally easy to clean, options for a cover or self draining, etc.

Cheers,

Trev

Last edited:

Canopy Locked

Visit site
Are you looking to take your 4 family members and another family (4??) out in the boat all at the same time? If yes I'd have thought even a warrior 175 would be a tight fit for 6-8 people.

Would this be a bit too off the wall for you?

Trevelyan

Visit site
Probably one family most of the time, but it would be helpful to be able to cram in a second, eg running in the estuary to a beach. Can anyone recommend an outboard powered open boat or bow rider which might fit the bill? I am thinking something that will take engine north of 100hp is required… cheers Trev

Trevelyan

Visit site
That’s the kind of thing… anyone have any experience of them/know of something that will take a few more hp… cheers, Trev

Farmer Piles

Visit site
Hi Trev,
I seem to vaguely remember that you live Devoran way. I am just across the water from you at Restronguet.
I have a couple of boats here on the farm that fit the bill that you are welcome to take a look at if it helps in terms of refining your search and giving you ideas. One is a 17ft Boston Whaler that someone is storing here. The other is my Yamarin 59HT - which is probably the best boat that I have ever owned. It has a Yamaha 115 and is perfect for four people, a squeeze at six but we did cram in eight one time coming back from St Mawes after the Castle to Castle.
PM me if you want to pop over for a look/chat and we can swap numbers there.

Matt

Trevelyan

Visit site
Hi Trev,
I seem to vaguely remember that you live Devoran way. I am just across the water from you at Restronguet.
I have a couple of boats here on the farm that fit the bill that you are welcome to take a look at if it helps in terms of refining your search and giving you ideas. One is a 17ft Boston Whaler that someone is storing here. The other is my Yamarin 59HT - which is probably the best boat that I have ever owned. It has a Yamaha 115 and is perfect for four people, a squeeze at six but we did cram in eight one time coming back from St Mawes after the Castle to Castle.
PM me if you want to pop over for a look/chat and we can swap numbers there.

Matt
Good memory - thanks, pm sent! Trev