CAN U CLEAN A BOAT WITH JIFF CREAM CLEANER?

G

I have just cleaned up my old Skipper 17 prior to sale with Morrisons cream cleaner which is meant for bathrooms etc and in particular baths and it did a great job really quickly. I have to clean my Macwester 30 which I have recently bought and I am tempted to use this cream cleaner again which is the same as Jiff cream cleaner(or is it called SIFF now?)Does anyone know whether it will damage my gell coat which is of course now 30 years old. I would then propose to polish the boat with proper yacht polish. I reason that if the cleaner is safe to use on say a weekly basis on a brand new bath then it can hardly harm the surface of my boat.

G

I have used it at least twice yearly on my fishing boat and my tender, with no ill effects whatsoever. It is only VERY mildly abrasive, and any (always very tiny) scratches will polish out with "proper" yacht polish

G

My boat is painted with 2 pack poly andI giver her a clean with jiff twice a year. Odd thing is though that when the little midges land on the boat on the evening after cleaning, they all drop dead. What is the jiff doing to never mind the boat????????

G

fix the typo\'s

My boat is painted with 2 pack poly and I give her a clean with Jiff twice a year. Odd thing is though that when the little midges land on the boat on the evening after cleaning, they all drop dead. What is the Jiff doing to me never mind the boat????????

G

I have always used Jiff to very good effect and have always been pleased with the results. It also costs only a few pence to clean the whole boat!

G

She who knows....

tells me that we should never use Cream Cleaner on the boat. It is sufficiently abrasive to damage the surface of gel coat.

After many years of cynicism regarding expensive boat cleaners, recent results are convincing me that there is something extra in them, after all. Check your chandler.

G

Re Try this instead

Jif is slightly abrasive. It has been rebranded as Cif because that is how it is marketed in other European countries so why have the extra expense in the UK.

Buy Sainsburys 'Hobrite'. Its for cleaning ceramic hobs. Its non abrasive and you just rub on and leave, then wash off when its dry. It works brilliantly for cleaning GRP, stainless steel and just about everything else on a boat.

G

Try ANY cleaner first on a scrap piece of polished brass, or aluminium:-

If it makes it yet more shiny, all well and good for GRP. However if it scratches like mad (and our experience of “Bar-Keepers Friend” also recommended for ceramic hobs is not good here) then it may shine up the boat for a few months (“T-Cut” is an example here) but the dirt will sit in all those nice little scratches and she will soon look a right mess again.

G

Paul,cream cleaner is not suitable for acrylic baths so dont use it! It might look ok for a while but then it starts to go dull, Far better to use a liquid detergent like flash liquid,its good cleaner with no abrasives.Now , back to boats........

G

"Shiny Sinks " is also a great cleaner and polish for GRP and gives a great and lasting shine, It will also get rid of Rust stains too. Much better than "cif" and cheaper.

Rob

G

Ian. I have just finished cleaning my deck, the non slip, gel coat moulded areas were cleaned with a high pressure water cleaner, very fast and very clean with little effort and no residue of chemicals. Well worth a try.

G

Re: U can & polish WITH :--

Solvol Autosol. I did it working on new 80footer stinkboats in a factory not a million miles from Poole. Then they got a new 3Ms product that was eventually as good with lots more work. Use a power polisher, not a buffing pad on a drill to avoid high-speed burn. Then use a proper finish polish.