Can I have a second chance please?

Should reduced tax on marine fuel be continued?

• Total voters

Sneds

Visit site
My hamster is called Pete! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What the heck is this all about? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Get a life guys!! (Its only cyber space)

tazzle

Visit site
Pete's posts about his warehouses of unnecessary equipment, aircraft nose sections, having to produce spreadsheets for his wife of his chandlery spending etc were at times hugely amusing and added some great colour and life to the forums.

On the other hand, the constant trolling and wind-ups that he used to ensure that he was always the centre of attention became very wearing and came to dominate the threads in quite a negative way.

I commented to Pete before that he was the forums' Mr Toad - likeable, charismatic but utterly incorrigible. I think the poll above shows that many more forumites than have posted a comment agree about the incorrigible bit.

The posting of that abhorrent picture on the morning of Remembrance Sunday was beyond the pale.

It's IPC's forum and therefore your call.

Having said that, if Pete's around the Medway this Spring I'd be delighted to meet him in person - I'm sure in 'real life' he's great fun.

AdeOlly

Visit site
What I find most amusing is that the very idea of GC1's return to the forum generates the most viewed and replied thread for yonks...... Love him or hate him, he pulls the crowds!!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Maybe it's time folk started putting some effort in then.

Mobo used to be far the busiest site, interesting stories peppered with laughs and jokes. Long before GC1 came along.

It's degenerated into. Gardners Question Time.

How about folk attempting to putting two interesting accounts in. Before every request for help.

Sunds only fair really.

DAKA

Visit site
IMHO
The problem is posters are scared of posting now, any attempt at humour can be chastised.

Many posters are still here watching but not posting, if you look above many have come out for the first time in ages.

I get more PMs than replies to my posts all humorous but could be taken the wrong way so sent by pm, just in case, even by long established posters used to posting long passage reports.

Forums are odd places

Men pretending to be women
boys pretending to be men
men pretending to be boys
but our problem is old washer women pretending to be boaters /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bav34

Visit site
Wasn't there a post recently where someone objected to the use of 'IMHO'? I think you've just upset someone /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
Oh I agree with both you and Haydn , but the problem is quite simple really . Far too many takers and few givers . I was very tempted to pen a post all about my first ever attempt at boating ( which many find hilarious when I tell them the story /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) but you only need to look at the posts from Trouville over in scuttlebutt to see how bad the problem is . His brilliant accounts of his life afloat get loads of views but few replies . So someone goes to all that effort to make a post and it gets virtually ignored . The only way a forum is going to work is if people reply openly and a discussion starts . The ColReg debates and anchor , erm , chats , get laughed at but at least they are active , not just read .
I could almost garuantee that if I posted my account I would get very few replies
Result
Can't be bothered to put in the effort in the first place
If people want a dead forum they're well on the way to getting it

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Go ahead and pen the story, T25. Just because a post gets few replies does'nt mean that it has'nt been viewed and enjoyed by many people. By it's very nature a story or cruise report is not going to generate the same kind of noise as when somebody posts a question which invites debate but it is no less worthy for that. In fact, speaking personally, I enjoy the stories and reports probably more than any other posts, particularly if there are pics

Sixpence

Visit site
I may well do just that but then there is the other problem
The last time I bought a boaty magazine they were running a series of articles where people were being paid to write thier stories . Now I'm not tight ( well I am really /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) but as soon as a story gets posted on here it becomes IPC property , so if they choose to use it in a magazine , it gets printed end of story . No remuneration and often no credit for writing it , that's what we give up in exchange for a free forum , so when someone posts on here and nobody comments it makes it a bit of a pointless excercise . You may as well submit the story direct to the magazine first to see if they want it , if not , bin it

AdeOlly

Visit site
I do actually agree Haydn, I should have said 'amusing and sad' as that's what I meant. Spose the time of year doesn't help a lot either.

So should I post up accounts of the following:

1) The near disaster that was my first trip in my first boat trying to get to the fuel pontoon (This episode is actually an MBM 'Confessions' candidate /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif )
2) Snagging my anchor on the Sovereign Shoals and realising it was all chain bolted to the anchor locker wall. (Doh)
3) First family trip away last summer with my one and three year old hooligans - what worked and what didn't.

etc etc

D

Deleted User YDKXO

[ QUOTE ]
The last time I bought a boaty magazine they were running a series of articles where people were being paid to write thier stories

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of a boaty mag that does that. I doubt if they pay their journos /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sixpence

Visit site
I like it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Your sense of humour appeals to my wicked side /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif so as soon as I've got time I shall pen the foolhardy results of a mobo virgin /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
From a few years ago , you understand /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DAKA

Visit site
I look forward to it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One of the reasons why you may get a lot of views and not many replies is once some has said

great report, very funny /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

what else can be added ?

Very amusing, good report /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

once three have replied it is about covered, it doesnt mean the tale is not still appreciated by the next 100 readers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I always think if you manage 2 X /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

for each pm complaint your on the right side /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kawasaki

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm not tight ( well I am really /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I look forward to it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One of the reasons why you may get a lot of views and not many replies is once some has said

great report, very funny /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

what else can be added ?

Very amusing, good report /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

once three have replied it is about covered, it doesnt mean the tale is not still appreciated by the next 100 readers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I always think if you manage 2 X /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

for each pm complaint your on the right side /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I read it, found it very funny, but as everyone had already said that, I left no comment.

Sixpence

Visit site
Shurrup you /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Major , you may feel the need to ask questions though , you know me , nothing is ever straight forward /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gjgm

Visit site
yea, but its also this time of year.. half of us probably cant remember where the boat is, never mind relate an recent amusing boaty epsisode. But its does seem quieter than normal.. usually there are few bun fights at this time of year.
A bit of sunshine, then folks will be running about the boatyards, people will be asking qustions, boats get back in the water, and hopefully, the forum livens up a bit.
Lets not get too rosy speccd... alot of the fire on the forum was based around a small group of active members who either had enormous egos, or maybe were trolling , none of whom would ever back down over anything. Sometimes that was very funny, other times damn boring. Like or loathe Pete on the forum, he certainly livened it up, sometimes possibly deliberately, but often because some people just couldnt avoid starting a row with him.
May not be much life left in the forum though.. once cheap fuel goes, no one will have any stories other than "how I sat on my boat in the marina" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
May not be much life left in the forum though.. once cheap fuel goes, no one will have any stories other than "how I sat on my boat in the marina"

[/ QUOTE ]

..and the plods and jobsworths circled the boat armed with breathalyser kits, in case you were foolish enough to raise a bottle of pale ale to your lips, but you can't move because you are hemmed in by the pure weight of sawn timber, which is illegal to even look at, and anyway, your internet connection is down, so the e-borders notification puts the trip to France off the menu, even if you could afford the fuel.

Have I forgotten anything?