Can anyone share a photo of a fishing hook in their hand or finger?

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
I have volunteered to write an article about hand and finger injuries for the Cruising Association. I would like to include how to remove fishing hooks accompanied by a photo. Does anyone have a photo that they can share that is free of copyright and therefore can be published with due ackowledgement???
Please PM me and I will send my email address
Thanks
TS

Davy_S

Visit site
Not much use to you but, i have seen two fish hooks removed from people, one was a mid channel wrecking trip from Plymouth, an angler got a conger hook stuck through his hand in the skin between his thumb and forefinger, no one was going to make a 3 hour trip back, the hook was pushed through past the barb, then snipped off with pliers and pulled back out, a bit of Dettol and job done, the other incident could have been more serious, a young angler got a smaller hook in his top eyelid, the same method was used to remove it, snipped off and slid back through, no lasting damage.
It was before the world and his wife would take pictures of accidents with mobile phones!

Davy_S

Visit site
Inury%205%20550j.jpg
fish-hook-in-mouth.jpg

Refueler

Visit site
Pal of mine had a size 10 in his arm ... don't ask !!

Anyway - its a small hook .... I offered to snip the barb and extract ... but he opted to go to hospital ... later he said he would have preferred my solution ... he ended up with an X cut to remove the hook ... Tetanus jab ... and pills to take for x days ...

Boathook

Visit site
No picture but I got a fish hook in my finger. The barb didn't go all the way through so I could cut it of, etc. Hospital job and a painkiller injection so they could force it through.

@tudorsailor For your article mention about taking a similar hook to hospital if you go. Allows the staff to confirm shape, etc.

jointventureII

Visit site
I managed to do this. Had a decent size bass on a Rapala J10 lure (2 x 3 barbed hooks). The bottom hook was in the fish's tongue, the other free hook on the deck. Fish was totally still. I put a wet rag over to try to remove the hook and it started flapping around like crazy, sinking one of the free hooks into my middle finger right at the base - so at this point I'm attached to the fish by the lure.

Grabbed the pliers and managed to cut it so at least I was free. My best mate who was on the boat with me, took care of the fish and we raced back to Jersey (this occurred at Les Ecrehous reef). Once arrived at A&E, a few doctors looked at it and decided the only way was to push the remaining hook through my finger and out the other side. Loads of local anasthetic required. No damage done.

I've got some photos somewhere, I'll try to dig them out.

steveeasy

Visit site
I had one in my arm. My mother in Law had one in her head when she took her son fishing one day and he got a bit carried away casting.

Makes me Laugh.

Steveeasy

Skysail

Visit site
Had to perform the snip and pull through on a golden retrievers paw, on the tow path at Cookham. Outside the sailing club so pliers were to hand.
Fortunately the dog was perfectly well behaved. Doubt that I would do this for a pit bull!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I had one in my scalp. A fisherman cast without looking off Yarmouth pier. It could have been worse, the lead weight missed me. My quick thinking companion luckily had a knife to hand to cut the line.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I had one in my arm. My mother in Law had one in her head when she took her son fishing one day and he got a bit carried away casting.

Makes me Laugh.

Steveeasy
I caught a woman in the ear fly fishing when she walked behind me mid cast, she denied my offer of snipping the barb and buggered off with my fly. She was very lucky.

billskip

Visit site
a young angler got a smaller hook in his top eyelid, the same method was used to remove it, snipped off and slid back through, no lasting damage.
I was fishing off N Ireland in a small boat, three of us, my wife her uncle, and me.
I dont like just dropping the line over the side and jogging...so I cast...and I snagged somehow and the weight, hook and nice fat worm travelled it's short arc and the hook went through the bridge of my wife's nose, removal as you say snip off the barb and withdraw it, it still makes me shudder to this day, 50 years on...no photo.......

WoodyP

Visit site
I hooked my hand straight in well past the barb. Gritted teeth and twisted and pulled like hell until it came out. I wasn't going to waste good fishing time going to hospital but it hurt, a lot.
I also had a large lure on a lead cored line driven through my cap into my head by a fishing companion.. who assisted in similar brutal fashion. It just depends on your pain threshold.
There are one or two YouTube vids showing a technique using a loop around the barb.

oldbloke

Visit site
When the children were children and I was doing dad stuff I was worried about them getting impaled by hooks , so I always de-barbed the hooks. I can't say that I noticed any increase in fish getting away and it was much easier getting the hooks out of the fish when catching and releasing. We weren't doing anything fancy, mostly mackerel from a boat, but also suicidal small perch and roach.

Neeves

Visit site
Its grounds for divorce when YOUR hook becomes irretrievably impaled in any part of Your wife's anatomy and you say:

"Hang in there darling I'll just nip down and see if I can find my phone"

Maybe that is why they are called suicide hooks.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site

Let's get this into perspective:

I understand body piercing is quite fashionable and the 'customers' or 'exhibitors' don't appear to be too fussy about which parts are pierced.

Whereas a fish hook looks pretty gruesome a ring is quite acceptable.

Personally a hook embedded is an unfortunate accident (and a risk you take when fishing - hoping it does not happen). Intentionally paying to have the same and maybe queuing to have the operation conducted is really something I can do without.

Takes all sorts.

Jonathan